Author Topic: What A Real Knife Attack Looks Like  (Read 7187 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What A Real Knife Attack Looks Like
« on: January 29, 2012, 09:17:29 PM »
Let alone the 21 foot rule,....better have your "A" game....

anytime they are that close, it won't matter what your carrying.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Timothy

Re: What A Real Knife Attack Looks Like
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 09:22:41 PM »
That's why I'm buying a Shillelagh!  You cannot stop an attack that begins within 10 feet unless you're gifted...

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 11:14:58 AM »
That's why I'm buying a Shillelagh!  You cannot stop an attack that begins within 10 feet unless you're gifted...

Been carrying one for two years without need for a cane.  It is always in my hand outside except when I get the paper and mail.
It's only drawback is it is cumbersome when trying to use two hands...like paying at cashier.  I need a good way to get a wrist strap on it.  Maybe the leather workers have a solution?  I don't want to drill it if that can be avoided.

Mine is the Cold Steel Blackthorn Walking Stick.  It can be had from Amazon for $37.40.

The original Blackthorn sticks were 2 to 4 foot long Irish shillelaghs (the national weapon of rural Ireland). In expert hands the shillelagh was so fearsome that during the final occupation of Ireland, the English outlawed it. To get around the law, the Irish turned the shillelagh into a 3-foot walking stick. The English didn’t want to appear unreasonable by outlawing walking sticks too, so the Irish kept their modified shillelaghs and the world gained a beautiful and functional walking stick known simply as the Blackthorn.

http://www.coldsteel.com/irishblackthorn.html

http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Blackthorn-Walking-Polypropylene/dp/B001B7Y3A4

If you go that route, be sure to order the tips below.  They serve 3 functions: keep the noise down if you are using it as a walking stick; Keep is from slipping of smooth surfaces, take the wear instead of the stick it self.  Buy a couple of sets.

http://www.amazon.com/CANE-TIPS-1IN-BLACK-1PR/dp/B000GG6142/ref=pd_sim_hpc_3

P.S.  I used to be gifted...now I have to settle for just mean.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Timothy

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 11:52:57 AM »
Yup!  It's been sitting in my Amazon wish list for a month now.  Waiting on some cash...

ricco

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 12:33:54 PM »
Self defense is multi layered. Depending on any one thing is a mistake. Pistol, stick, knife, oc, and empty hands should all be part of self defense training. As the video shows accessing a weapon may be impossible. Transitioning from empty hand defense to a weapon should be practiced. Again, movement is essential.

Many people with more training than myself prefer a straight stick rather than the crook top. When we padded up and sparred with canes I found that thrusts worked better above the waist and strikes below the waist. The crook top gave me a better purchase on the stick than on a straight stick. The crook top also allows me to hang the cane from my forearm when I need to use both hands. For those reasons I prefer the crook top cane.

After many years of training in various martial arts the best empty hand and empty hand to weapon transition knife attack defense I have seen so far is the Suarez/Denny "Die Less Often" DVD series. If your not familier with "DLO" here is a trailer.

http://youtu.be/THW-c6E5nvs

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:07:41 AM »

mauler

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 08:06:16 PM »
That's why I carry this:

mauler

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 08:07:36 PM »
It's also why I train in Kali-Silat.

Timothy

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 08:21:18 PM »
That's why I carry this:

Nice knife but....I'm an engineer!  No way I'd trust a lock blade with that kind of abuse.  A one piece knife, certainly, but anything made by man will eventually fail.

I'll keep my fingers thank you very much!

I've been training in "I'll beat you to death with a stick" for about 45 years!  It ain't pretty but it gets the job done!

Steven Cline

• Active Forum Member
  • What are you tollin' for here?
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 12:26:27 PM »
Emotionally that is very disturbing to watch.  Killing with a knife is more intimate and scares more.

But, your no less dead than if the the guy yanked a G17 and fired 17 into you, reload and stood over you and unloaded 17 more, reloaded and repeated for 17 more.

Would be about the same amount of time in the attack, same carnage, same results.
"OK. You've convinced me. Competitive shooting only improves trigger control, indexing, accuracy, safe weapon handling, target acquisition, transitions, recoil control, shooting on the move, shooting moving targets, shooting in different positions, drawing from a holster, shooting one handed, shooting targets of varying size, difficulty, and distance, and doing those things under the pressure of the clock. Clearly those are skills that are of little importance in self defense or tactical shooting. "  -The post which went ignored and unaddressed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk