Author Topic: Bullet Catcher Support  (Read 4922 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
Bullet Catcher Support
« on: April 04, 2011, 08:46:44 AM »
The small Akro-bins that come with Hornady and Dillion presses, hold 100 9mm, 40 S&W or 45ACP rounds just fine.  Problem occurs when you go to larger rounds, like .44SPL/MAG or .45LC.  The little bin is just.......too little.   

No problem, Akro-bins are commonly available either through Hornady/Dillion or any number of retailers and the next largest size fits nicely.

But, since there's "no free lunch", this creates another problem.  All the extra weight hanging on the little braket, which starts to bend and bow under the weight of a hundred 250gr 45LC.   So what's needed is a front end support.   I was going to make one with a wooden block and a sliding rod so that it could be pushed out of the way.  But this week I was in the big box hardware store, that will rename nameless, but is based in Atlanta (Smyrna actually), and it occurred to me a "Z" bracket would do the job.   Looked through all the normal hardware and I could have bought an "L" bracket and bent it, but then I found this lumber metal mounting hardware:

Now I needed a vertical offset of ~1-1/4"  GUESS WHAT the offset of this bracket is?  Yep, 1-1/4".  Rather than use wood screws to hold the bracket, I used flat head bolts, countersunk in the workbench.   

Ah, now all set for those 45/70 rounds.

I'm still lovin' my Hornady LnL AP.   Just order 4000 more bullets, which should hold me for a month....or two.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

sledgemeister

• Top Forum Member
  • Democrat Sheeples
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bullet Catcher Support
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 11:16:31 AM »
Nice one Alf!
I reckon your gonna give yourself carpal tunnel syndrome cranking that thing like ya do LOL
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Solomon Short

ske1eter

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 05:51:45 PM »
OOoooohhh, I thought you meant bullet catcher as in the Tupac Shakur kind of bullet catcher.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 07:14:45 PM »
OOoooohhh, I thought you meant bullet catcher as in the Tupac Shakur kind of bullet catcher.

You know Ske1eter, when I came back to this topic a day later, I thought the same thing. 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 11:49:16 AM »
The guys at UniqueTek have a way to increase the capacity of your bins. 

It's called the Bin-Dam and costs $4.95

See it here   http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1359
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:06:26 PM »

GASPASSERDELUXE

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 01:25:02 PM »
Instead of buying one of these supports just lift the container off its' lip and dump it into an empty coffee can or similar large container.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk