Author Topic: Medal Ceremony Question  (Read 894 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
Medal Ceremony Question
« on: February 11, 2013, 04:34:21 PM »
I have witnessed many medal ceremonies throughout my life, and I have a vision of them in my mind.  Today I saw a photo of the Medal of Honor ceremony with Pres. BHO, and it doesn't match.

Is it common for the recipient to turn their back on the presenter as the medal is given?

In my mind the recipient faces the presenter, and the ribbon is either put over the head or they reach around to clasp.

Answers from the wise.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Re: Medal Ceremony Question
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 05:19:05 PM »
In US Military, if the recipient is getting a ribbon or a normal medal for honorable or meritorious service, like a good conduct medal or a purple heart, etc., the recipient stands at attention while the presenter pins the medal to his/her tunic/blouse. 

If the recipient is receiving an elevated medal like the CMH, or a Navy Cross, one that hangs from a ribbon, the presenter steps to the recipient's back and fastens the ribbon at the back of the recipient's neck. 

This is likely a matter of utility and ease for both presenter and recipient so it doesn't look like the presenter is going in for a big wet kiss.

As I recall, the Brits and the French require the recipient to bow deeply at the waist while the presenter affixes the ribbon at the back of the recipient's neck.

We haven't been much into all that bowing stuff on this side of the Atlantic.

Or at least we weren't until we elected a dictator.  We'll have to wait and see how that shakes out.

Don't take this info to the bank, or use it to try and win a bar bet, as I am plumbing the depths of my aging memory.   

So, FWIW,

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

tombogan03884

Re: Medal Ceremony Question
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 06:19:53 PM »
I think it may depend on the relative heights but that was not an issue in the picture I saw today.
I've never seen it done that way before.
On the other hand, the Medals of Honor presented to the survivors of the 1st Mar Div after Guadalcanal were not presented by the President either. They were presented at a Division awards ceremony in Australia .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk