Author Topic: I got "Gun-Free Zoned" this weekend  (Read 16592 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 881
Re: I got "Gun-Free Zoned" this weekend
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2009, 11:06:37 PM »
I didn't get gun free banished, but had an incident last night just the same:

As is common I was carrying my 1911, inside the waistband under a t-shirt (heavy gray) yesterday.  I had made a few stops on the way to the range at a gas station, a mall, Gander Mountain, and a Tractor Supply.  Every time I arrived in a parking lot the leather came off and went in the bags.  While in different places I was in direct contact with "rent-a-cops," customers and employees, and actual law enforcement.  In one store I was at a counter picking up some ar-10 mags I had ordered  ;D when I found myself with three officers (two detectives and one uniform) picking up crimson trace grips they had ordered.  My t-shirt (from my gunsmith) drew attention, and I thought my hardware would be noticed, but it wasn't.

When I arrived at the range I put the carry piece in the bag, where it stayed until the match was over.  A couple people that new I had carried (strange story as to how they found out) looked at me as I was ready to leave and thought I wasn't carrying home.  I lifted the shirt to show them.

All this is to show that concealed was concealed!

On the way home I met a couple shooting friends at a sports bar for a burger and good time.  Upon arriving at the table I threw the jacket over the chair and sat down.  After ordering I went to the restroom to wash range and road dust off, and on my way to the restroom the waitress caught up with me.  She had forgotten to ask me something, and in trying to get my attention (I've got ears related to years of race cars, loud music and guns) she grabbed me in a way I wouldn't mind being grabbed ... If I hadn't had a junk of steel there.  Not knowing what was happening I grabbed her hand as it rested right at belt level and spun around yanking my other hand out of my pocket with my SureFire.  When I recognized her I apologized and said, with a grin, she could feel free to grab me but just not there.  She was shocked but asked about my order and left.

When I came back out to the table the guys asked what had happened.  I didn't know what the meant at first, but after they explained I explained while being very vague about what she grabbed (they all understood, but no one else overhearing would have).  They told me after she left me they saw her go worker to worker, and finally someone they assumed to be a manager kept circling the table.  By this time two white shirts with ties were acting like vultures.

The rest of the evening our table received minimal contact and service the rest of our stay ... Which I made sure we stretched out.  I do feel sorry for those around us, because they also received horrible service, and they don't know what happened.

I discussed with the others, and we all did the same at the end:  We had to ask a white shirt for our tabs (I volunteered to go ask for it), we each put in our payments (one check, mine was cash, and a couple credit cards), we made sure that they knew we wanted our change back.  The check was written for the exact amount, the two credit card slips were signed and $0.00 written in the tip line, and I took every penny and wrote a note that I know why they treated us like they did. 

On the way out I turned and confronted a white shirt (he wasn't happy to see me make a ninety at the door and head his way).  I got real close and whispered to him that I did not like the way we were treated.  He got a little cocky and said that THEY did not appreciate me bringing a gun into a "family establishment."  I then explained that he had no reason to believe I had a gun (fishing to see if they had seen something or just a little grope) to which he said "missy" had felt it.  I told him that where she put her hand all she felt was a holster, and she had no way of knowing it was a gun ... many people carry cellphones low on their belts.  As I left he demanded to either be shown or allow a search, but by this time I was on top and said "Uh Uh Uhhhh ... Concealed means concealed, and you'll just need to use your imagination."

When I got home last night I was convinced I would never go back there.  However, I'm letting cooler heads prevail.  Next Tuesday I will carry my J-frame in my favorite location (for it and the bond arms), the cellphone holster will be on the right hip, and we are meeting there again  ;D
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Steyr M40A1

• Top Forum Member
  • Steyr MxA1 Series Pistols
    • My pistol picts
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: I got "Gun-Free Zoned" this weekend
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2009, 11:51:22 PM »
Excellent post. Good reading for all of us!
Thanks
Richard Cook

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch" -Babj615 Steyrclub.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb." Benjamin Franklin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk