Author Topic: Illinois Supreme Court Strikes Down State's Gun Law  (Read 2428 times)

tombogan03884

Illinois Supreme Court Strikes Down State's Gun Law
« on: September 16, 2013, 06:36:52 AM »
A win that makes you say "WTF ?" is still a win .   ???

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/09/15/Illinois-Supreme-Court-Strikes-Down-State-s-Gun-Law

Illinois is one of the most anti-gun states in America, and its supreme court is appointed by its governor. The past two governors have been zealous opponents of gun rights: Democrats Pat Quinn and the notorious Rod Blagojevich. The court they appointed just struck down Illinois’ soon-to-expire law against carrying firearms as a violation of the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment.

In Illinois v. Aguilar, the Illinois Supreme Court considered the case of Alberto Aguilar, who was engaged in criminal conduct when he was arrested, and also had a firearm on him in violation of Illinois law. He was convicted of carrying a firearm when he was not in his own home or business.

The court noted the U.S. Supreme Court’s decisions in D.C. v. Heller and McDonald v. Chicago, striking down the virtually-absolute ban on owning a gun in Washington, D.C. in 2008 and Chicago in 2010, respectively. Both cases involved law-abiding citizens who wanted to have firearms in their home, and the Supreme Court held that the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. The Illinois court also noted that in 2012 the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit held in Moore v. Madigan that the Second Amendment right recognized by the Supreme Court extends beyond the home to carry firearms in public, and that Illinois then-current statutes to the contrary were unconstitutional.

Based on these authorities, the Illinois court agreed that the current state law is unconstitutional, though adding that gun ownership is “subject to meaningful regulation.”
The Illinois legislature recently passed a law allowing people to carry firearms subject to very serious restrictions. The Illinois Supreme Court mentioned in a footnote that Aguilar does not invalidate the new law, which does not go into effect until next year and is not at issue in this litigation.

But this decision is a significant victory for supporters of the right to keep and bear arms. No word yet on whether Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan—a staunchly anti-gun Democrat—will petition the U.S. Supreme Court to take this case and reinstate Alberto Aguilar’s criminal conviction.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Illinois Supreme Court Strikes Down State's Gun Law
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 12:33:36 PM »
I imagine he was charged and tried for violation of the general IL. ban on possessing firearms and not for committing a crime while in possession of a firearm or, if he has a record and is a felon, illegal possession of a firearm.

The court ruled that the law under which he was tried and convicted was unconstitutional.

Now I wonder if he can be tried for the same event under a different law or if that comes out to be double jeopardy.

Interesting that using a law that made honest people criminals allowed a criminal to go free.   
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 12:41:21 PM »
If he was previously charged with the gun violation they can still charge him for the criminal act he was engaged in.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 12:52:58 PM »
If he was previously charged with the gun violation they can still charge him for the criminal act he was engaged in.

Not sure if that is the case. 

If a person violates several laws in committing one crime, say 5 of them, can they try him for one, and than another till they go through all 5 or one of them sticks?

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 12:56:20 PM »
I believe they can do exactly that.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:04:40 AM »

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 06:49:58 PM »
It's not that uncommon for someone who has been charged with several felonies to be tried on the lesser ones first.
Then when they try the BIG charge, they can refer to him as "the convicted felon".
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk