Author Topic: 12 Dead In Washington Navy Yard Shooting  (Read 4038 times)

tt11758

• Noolis bastardis carborundum (Don't let the bastards wear you down)
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger ~
    • 10-Ring Firearms Training
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
12 Dead In Washington Navy Yard Shooting
« on: September 16, 2013, 02:23:46 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/09/16/navy-yard-shooting/2819543/

WASHINGTON DC (WREX) -
UPDATE: 1:52p.m. CT:
According to NBC News, law enforcement officials have identified the deceased shooter as 34-year-old Aaron Alexis of Fort Worth, Texas. Alexis recently began working as a civilian contractor.

The DC Police Department has reported the white male in a khaki uniform they were looking for as a potential additional shooter has been identified and is not a suspect or person of interest.

--------------

UPDATE: 1:06p.m. CT:
Police have confirmed at least 12 fatalities in Monday's shootings.

There is still an active search for the two additional potential shooters. No motive is known at this time.

--------------

UPDATE: 12:05p.m. CT:
Witnesses described a gunman on the fourth floor aiming down at people in a first-floor cafeteria. Others described being shot at in a third-floor hallway. It was unclear if the witnesses were describing the same gunman.

Six are reported to be dead, with at least four others wounded, including a law enforcement officer.

--------------

UPDATE: 11:16a.m. CT:
An officer with the Metropolitan Police Department says in addition to one deceased shooter, there are two additional potential shooters, but the information has not yet been confirmed.

The potential shooters are described as a white male wearing a khaki uniform and beret and a black male wearing what appeared to be an olive colored uniform. It is not confirmed that the two individuals are involved with the military, but they were wearing military-style uniforms.

The two men have not been located.

--------------

UPDATE: 11:04a.m. CT:
The Associated Press is reporting at least six are dead in Monday morning's shooting.

--------------

UPDATE: 10:47a.m. CT:
Officials are saying at least one shooter is dead. Police are still looking into the possibility of a second shooter.

---------------

UPDATE 10:40a.m. CT:
A spokesman for the MedStar Washington Hospital Center said the facility is currently taking care of three patients that are in critical condition. One is a Metropolitan Police Department officer. He is suffering multiple gunshot wounds to his legs.

Two females are also being cared for at the hospital. One of the women is suffering from a shot to the shoulder and the other had a gunshot wound to the head and to the hand.

The spokesman said the weapon appears to have been semi-automatic.

The hospital has been told to expect more victims.

-----------------

Several people are reported to be injured after a gunman opened fire at the headquarters of the Naval Sea Systems Command at the Washington Navy Yard Monday morning.

Four people are said to be dead and at least six more wounded, including a city police officer and a security guard. The Navy released the news of the shooting on its Twitter feed at 8:20 a.m. Eastern. NBC News is reporting authorities said the shooter is believed to be wounded and officers are going through the building, looking into the possibility of a second shooter.

A civilian working at the building, Terrie Durham, told NBC News the gunman appeared to be wearing dark fatigues. Another building employee, Todd Brundidge, said he heard a fire alarm go off and then saw the gunman turn a corner:

"He turned our way and started firing, and we ran downstairs to get out of the building," Brundidge described. "No words. He raised the gun and started firing."

Around 3,000 people work in the building and were told to take shelter in place. Area streets and bridges were closed and flights at Reagan National Airport have been temporarily stopped. Local schools are on lockdown.

Calls for "common-sense gun control" in the wake of this incident, from Obama, Feinstein, Sarah Brady, et al, will begin in 3......2.......1.......
I love waking up every morning knowing that Donald Trump is President!!

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: 12 Dead In Washington Navy Yard Shooting
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 08:46:06 PM »
how about ts for common sense, have a firearm( loaded, none of them empty crap) part of dress regulations unless doing so would be a danger to one self( say harness work) or to equipment( magnectly sensative equipment.)
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 09:49:19 AM »
how about ts for common sense, have a firearm( loaded, none of them empty crap) part of dress regulations unless doing so would be a danger to one self( say harness work) or to equipment( magnectly sensative equipment.)

That makes sense, TAB.  Not just for military personal, but everyone.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tt11758

• Noolis bastardis carborundum (Don't let the bastards wear you down)
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger ~
    • 10-Ring Firearms Training
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 10:02:27 AM »
That makes sense, TAB.  Not just for military personal, but everyone.

Which is exactly why it'll never happen.
I love waking up every morning knowing that Donald Trump is President!!

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 10:32:22 AM »
A big part of the prob with both the miltary and the public is the lack of training.  It is a sad fact that many miltary bases require thier guards to have unloaded firearms.  Or otherwise not ready for use.   loaded and unloading our side arms in the coasties was a pita and  cuased 90% of thee nd that happen.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:50:39 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 01:35:23 PM »
Any one else remember the General Order "To walk my post a mile a minute, with an M 16 and nothin' in it".
My favorite though was "To walk my post from flank to flank and take no sh!t from any rank" .  ;D

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 03:12:33 PM »
After the media has hyped up the anti gun circus with "Assault Rifle" rhetoric the FBI has reported that the killer used a shotgun, then appropriated handguns from his victims.  Of course, that won't stop the press and the poopiticians from saying he used one anyway.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 03:22:03 PM »
I served with a draftee, Theodore Kopinski, a steel worker from Buffalo, NY who was on guard duty at an ammo dump after a string of unfavorable personal events, so he was not in a happy mood.

I was not there for this event but this is what several vouched was the story.

It was in a heavy rain when a military sedan pulled up to the gate.  Kopinski opened the gate, checked credentials in the pouring rain and admitted the vehicle.

Rather than close the gate and then reopen it in the rain, he ducked into the guard shack to watch for the vehicle to return.

He saw it, went out to stand by the gate and wait for the vehicle to be checked out....sign said all vehicles must stop at the gate.

Well, the vehicle just went on through, throwing a big splash of muddy water on Kopinski.  This was the last straw, it was told.

As was the procedure back then, he had been issued 3 rounds of 7.62 which were loaded, and fired a round at the back of the vehicle....and scored a hit on the  trunk.

At his trial, he was charged with failure to close the gate, not with shooting, which, it was said, he was justified in doing since the vehicle did not stop.  

Busted to E2 and probably other company level disciplinary action...don't remember.

Stopped issuing any ammo for guards after that too.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 02:25:37 AM »
I served with a draftee, Theodore Kopinski, a steel worker from Buffalo, NY who was on guard duty at an ammo dump after a string of unfavorable personal events, so he was not in a happy mood.

I was not there for this event but this is what several vouched was the story.

It was in a heavy rain when a military sedan pulled up to the gate.  Kopinski opened the gate, checked credentials in the pouring rain and admitted the vehicle.

Rather than close the gate and then reopen it in the rain, he ducked into the guard shack to watch for the vehicle to return.

He saw it, went out to stand by the gate and wait for the vehicle to be checked out....sign said all vehicles must stop at the gate.

Well, the vehicle just went on through, throwing a big splash of muddy water on Kopinski.  This was the last straw, it was told.

As was the procedure back then, he had been issued 3 rounds of 7.62 which were loaded, and fired a round at the back of the vehicle....and scored a hit on the  trunk.

At his trial, he was charged with failure to close the gate, not with shooting, which, it was said, he was justified in doing since the vehicle did not stop.  

Busted to E2 and probably other company level disciplinary action...don't remember.

Stopped issuing any ammo for guards after that too.

Dumbass! Should have used his bayonet. ;D

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 01:35:21 PM »
We had a driver who liked to steer for the sentry when he was taking the Sgt of the Guard on his rounds to check posts.
We were issued 5 rounds .
He pissed his pants the night I put the mag in upside down and let the bolt go on the mag bottom .  ;D
Doesn't sound the same with a P Mag  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk