Author Topic: Magpul P-Mags  (Read 31211 times)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: Magpul P-Mags
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2013, 12:45:03 AM »
i wonder if that is do to the pigment (or lack there of)  or if they can add/ can not add some thing to get the diffrent colors.  Say binder, uv protector, diffrent melting temp  etc etc.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 576
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2013, 06:08:04 AM »
You would think so....but I don't know if it's uv related or not.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 458
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2013, 07:37:54 AM »
Adding pigment to lighten the plastic could very well have an effect on it brittleness, depending on the plastic that is being used. I've heard of this type of thing before. The locking edge on the side of the depressed boss the magazine locks into is quite shallow. When the magazine is inserted firmly into the gun, it could easily chip away the edges of the detent over time. At the range I'm always careful with this. I depress the magazine release when inserting the mag, then release it allowing it to engage.

That's not practical when running drills and the like, so I can see where chipping would occur if the plastic itself wasn't up to snuff. I'm not concerned because all of my P-Mags are black. I prefer the Gen-2 without the window just because they are the simplest...... And the cheapest. The window is nice and all. But I've seen a few that have broken out when dropped. Then all you have is a slot to catch dirt.  

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2014, 04:20:09 AM »

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2014, 05:20:39 PM »
Price on Gen-2's is holding steady at $10.06. No top cover for that price.

OK, I have to ask, Why bother with the top cover on P-Mags? When I'm on the range I wear my belt, which is set up for training. 2 AR mags, 2 Pistol mags, a dump pouch, leatherman, IFAC and my pistol holster. The AR mags are upside down in the mag pouches, and when it's time to reload it's time RIGHT NOW. Why would I be bothered with having to remove a cover on a mag?

Or am I completely missing something here?
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

Sponsor

« Reply #55 on: Today at 12:36:53 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2014, 05:51:26 PM »
The whole top cover thing was supposed to keep pressure off the feed lips, which could deform them if left under spring loaded pressure over time. That subject has been argued both ways. Some have had P-Mags swell in the body enough that it would cause problems inserting it into the gun. Others claim no such problems. I love P-Mags. With that said I don't store them loaded. Polymer is softer than steel, and it can deform. This is why Glock magazines are metal lined. I'm guessing by losing the top cover, Magpul is in a round about way, saying they're not needed. Be that as it may, I only keep my steel magazines loaded. I use P-Mags for everything else. YMMV.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2014, 04:51:36 PM »
Another use for the top covers is IF you do store them loaded, in quantity (as in a go bag), it keeps dust and debris from potentially entering the mag body.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Respen33

• Packing IT guy
  • Forum Member
  • What round is 30 rounds if you cant hit the paper.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2014, 12:00:55 PM »

Another use for the top covers is IF you do store them loaded, in quantity (as in a go bag), it keeps dust and debris from potentially entering the mag body.

I keep my dust covers on whether they are loaded or not. Though as Maryland resident all I have are 10 round magazines...

;-)
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2014, 06:31:52 AM »
Are 30 round magazines grandfathered in Maryland?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk