Author Topic: Transfer/shipping a pistol  (Read 3353 times)

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Transfer/shipping a pistol
« on: January 29, 2016, 03:08:35 PM »
Had no idea where the proper place to ask this is so since it is about a pistol.....

If anyone knows, what is the cost range to transfer and ship a pistol from one dealer to another?

TIA

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Timothy

Re: Transfer/shipping a pistol
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 04:16:32 PM »
25-50 bucks on each end...

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 04:29:49 PM »
Depends on how far apart they are.  To the midwest from Atlanta it's about $20 in shipping cost, Post Office Priority.  BUT it must be shipped by an FFL.   I've done it twice recently and that's all I paid for the shipping.

In NW Ga we have at least two dealers who don't charge FFL fees.   Fourth Armory in Marietta and Cherokee Gun in Canton.  Now if you ship TO a dealer who also doesn't charge FFL Fee then the shipping fee is all there is.

I just checked some other local dealers and some want $50-$60.  Yikes.  Won't be using them.   So if the sending FFL charges $50 and the receiving FFL charges $50, plus the shipping charge, it could easily be $150 or more.  Shop around.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 06:09:07 AM »
Usually the fee will be paid by the seller on his end, then your FFL will charge anywhere from 0 - $50 for doing the paper work.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 10:11:21 PM »
Does your state require shipping be done by an FFL?  I have purchased privately, and in all cases the private individual shipped to my FFL.  I paid shipping (FedEx in all cases) and whatever my local FFL wanted.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:44:11 PM »

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 04:17:14 PM »
Buyer wants what I have for sale bad!  Kicked in $$ to sweeten the deal.  Haven't had time to check with my dealer to see his cost.  This is my first time and I don't want to get screwed.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 04:27:28 PM »
Shipping it yourself to the buyers FFL will get you screwed. (assuming the buyers FFL will take receipt from a non-FFL.)

USPS won't take it from a private citizen, and UPS/FX will want upwards of $70 or more, especially if it's a pistol. 

Dealers however can ship USPS and depending how far, rates are around the $20.  Priority mail, too, so it gets there pretty quickly.   So even if you have pay your FFL $30 + the ~$20 shipping you're ahead of the game shipping yourself. 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk