Author Topic: New Member Intro  (Read 772033 times)

gorknoids

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Member Intro
« Reply #950 on: February 18, 2009, 08:04:09 PM »
Sonobuoys?  Yeah, Ordies loaded and armed them, but the end result was that the AW's had a grid for tracking subs, and really, who gets any satisfaction from that?   The Orion COULD tote a grunch of whoop-ass when it went tactical (Big missiles and nukes) but that's a one-way trip for a turbo-prop.
     I was ship's company Weapons Department and then went into F-14's, retiring just a couple of years before the Tomcat did.  Now all the fighter squadrons are F/A-18's, which is like trading in a Harley for a moped.   ;D   

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #951 on: February 18, 2009, 08:27:32 PM »
P-3 Orion (variation of a DC-3 turbo prop)  used for Anti Submarine warfare and tracking missions throughout the known world.  Sonabouy is a piece of ordnance dropped into the sea where it's explosive charge sends a sound wave that bounces off big submerged objects of interest and relays that information back to a listening post (of sorts) and allows the rest of the Navy to go hunting for said submerged object of interest.

The Navy has the coolest shit on the planet.....

Hell, Tim, even I know what a P-3 is (variant of a DC-6 BTW), and a sonobouy. Used to live a few clicks from Glenview NAS. Nothing like watching an F-14 use Lake Ave. as a marker line coming in for final.

it was the gibberish of HSL-32 & 34 (H-2's) and FNG, USN (Ret) AOCS (AW) IYAOYAS I was referring to.

I'm in IT and I thought we used acronyms - got nothing on the gummint types, for sure!   ;D
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Timothy

« Reply #952 on: February 18, 2009, 08:33:21 PM »
Hell, Tim, even I know what a P-3 is (variant of a DC-6 BTW), and a sonobouy. Used to live a few clicks from Glenview NAS. Nothing like watching an F-14 use Lake Ave. as a marker line coming in for final.

it was the gibberish of HSL-32 & 34 (H-2's) and FNG, USN (Ret) AOCS (AW) IYAOYAS I was referring to.

I'm in IT and I thought we used acronyms - got nothing on the gummint types, for sure!   ;D

OK, I'll guess on a few and Gorknoid can fill in the blanks. 

AW  Aviation Warfare Systems Operator
FNG  Friggin New Guy
AOCS Aviation Officers Candidate School
IYAOYAS  I think it means "If you ain't ordnance, you ain't shit!"

HSL  Not a friggin clue!!!!!  According to Google, HSL-32 is a helicopter squadron...

P.S.  The US Navy has a dictionary to keep track of all the friggin acronyms....I'm sure all the branches do!

Actually, we were both incorrect.  The P-3 Orion is derived from the Lockheed Martin Electra!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1112
« Reply #953 on: February 18, 2009, 10:38:44 PM »
IYAOYAS is where I got completely lost.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

gorknoids

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #954 on: February 19, 2009, 05:14:35 PM »
AOCS stands for Aviation Ordnanceman Chief Senior, even though you say it "Senior Chief".  In "HSL", the first letter identifies the type of aircraft (H=helicopter), the second identifies it's intended mission (S=anti-Submarine) and the last is a modifier, in this case "L" for "Light".
     There is a code for damned near everything.  :)

Sponsor

« Reply #955 on: Today at 10:42:05 PM »

Timothy

« Reply #955 on: February 19, 2009, 05:48:12 PM »
Thanks for the correction Senior Chief.  I've been a civilian now for nearly thirty years...

Tim

gorknoids

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #956 on: February 19, 2009, 06:00:52 PM »
I'm 47, so even using my time BEFORE the Navy let me in, you've got me beat in civilian years.  ;D

Timothy

« Reply #957 on: February 19, 2009, 06:08:03 PM »
Ain't got ya by much mate, be 52 in May....and I wasn't much of a sailor...I left that to my big brothers.......

I spent four years on active and a few reserve and never set foot on anything that floated or sank!

Ocean Systems Tech...now defunct rate of the Cold War...

AussieRogue

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #958 on: February 23, 2009, 03:21:20 PM »
G'day from Albuquerque I'm an Aussie living here married to an American Lady and about a month or so ago I brought my first gun  ;D and I love it will try and get my CCW soon  ;D

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #959 on: February 23, 2009, 03:26:18 PM »
Welcome Aussie ...

Glad to here you are here and enjoying the freedoms we have!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk