MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
Jargon
« on: March 30, 2017, 12:19:47 PM »
Rant time:

Jargon is defined in part as "peculiar vocabulary within a specific industry or group."

Many use jargon to communicate with peers, and that is the purpose of jargon.  However, many use jargon outside this circle without thought to how their message is received or spread, and, sadly, many use it to appear advanced or an expert within a field. 

While studying Technical Writing, I was taught and warned to avoid the use of jargon whenever possible, even within the target audience or with peers.  I was also taught that even within the target groups jargon MUST always be defined early in the discussion to clarify what is meant, because jargon is fluid and changes from organization to organization, and even person to person within these groups.

Why the rant?  The self defense education crowd has been on a roll again, and the open communications accessed by the general public is polluted with jargon, and much of this jargon is being used without definition, and in some cases in direct conflict with the writings of many experts.

Even as an instructor who participates on a regular basis and tries to stay up to date on conversations, I have no idea what you mean when you say "Condition 1, 2 ... 999" or "Condition Red, Orange, Purple or Sparkles" if you do not reference the organization or originator of the status.

You want me to glaze over and ignore you quickly?  Just start spewing jargon carelessly, and I am out of here.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Timothy

Re: Jargon
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 12:51:55 PM »
Amen...

BAC

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 02:07:26 PM »
Can we add acronyms to the rant?  The AR-15 tacticool crowd loves to turn everything into an acronym.  I think mostly because they're too lazy to type whole words, so they use initials, and we're supposed to just know what the heck they're talking about.  Sometimes I just want to say "use your words."

Wow, I feel better.

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1447
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 02:11:33 PM »
Yep ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What they said. ;D ;D ;D
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 02:20:55 PM »
Can we add acronyms to the rant?  The AR-15 tacticool crowd loves to turn everything into an acronym.  I think mostly because they're too lazy to type whole words, so they use initials, and we're supposed to just know what the heck they're talking about.  Sometimes I just want to say "use your words."

Wow, I feel better.

Absolutely!  Standards for writing demand that the first time you use an acronym that the full wording be stated, and then the acronym follows:  As soon as possible (asap).  Following this first use, it must be done again at regular intervals.  Some do it after a set number of paragraphs, but the minimum is the beginning of each new chapter.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:04:57 AM »

Timothy

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 05:15:28 PM »
My first year in the military was at COMOCEANSYSLANT!

Commander, Oceanographic Systems, Atlantic..

We had a tech manual that was a dictionary of military acronyms!  Light reading on a mid-watch in Iceland in December!

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 05:45:14 PM »
Military has some nice ones....

VC - Victor Charlie - Viet Cong

LRRP - Long Range Recon Patrol

REMF - Rear Echelon Personnel

:D 
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

BAC

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 06:05:08 PM »
BOHICA

Timothy

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 06:22:36 PM »
Bend over here it comes again!

DILLIGAF!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 10:22:20 PM »
And let's not forget the always popular FUBAR.

My AIT was at USAOC&S.

PS: I was a REMF and liked it.  :D
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk