Author Topic: BLR Project just got real.  (Read 18445 times)

ExurbanKevin

• Working on Gun Culture 2.1RC3
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • There are CZ's, and there's everything else
    • Ammoman.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
BLR Project just got real.
« on: August 11, 2014, 11:04:20 AM »
We just moved to Missouri, so we drove the family in my wife's car into St. Louis yesterday to look at the Arch and Mississippi. I'd heard about the shooting in Ferguson on the news, but didn't think that it'd boil over into anything big.

Whoops.

We didn't hear any sirens or see any smoke, but as I found out this morning, a full-on riot was happening 20 minutes away from where my family and I were yesterday.

Because I had my Shield with me (along with a bunch of pointy-stabby things), I had to wait outside of the visitor's center while my wife took the boys inside. This was a pain at the time and something my youngest didn't fully understand, but in retrospect, the pain was worth it.

To make matters worse, my "get home" bag and trunk gun (a Kel-Tec SU-16C) were in the trunk. The trunk of MY car back home, 100 miles away, not in the trunk of my wife's car. Might as well have been in Arizona for all the good they did me there.

Next time, I'll do more intel work before heading into the big city and make sure I have something more than a subcompact 9mm with me. Lesson learned.
I can't understand people who think banning guns makes them safer. They must also believe that banning books makes them smarter.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
Re: BLR Project just got real.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 12:25:27 PM »
Glad you are okay, Kevin.   Haven't really seen the news this weekend and was only vaguely aware of something going on in SL.

I've put off assembling Bugout or GetHome bags, but the wife has been insisting lately we be better prepared.   Both to stay here and to bugout.    But sometimes we forget about the "get home" aspect.

I was planning on two bags, short term emergency, and long term.   I think the short term bag should go with us when we travel.  Eh?
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

ExurbanKevin

• Ammoman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 12:55:35 PM »
Thanks Alf. I highly recommend you build one. I've got a 3 Day Bag in the back of my car along with the rifle, and I was test-driving a man-purse ummn, messenger bag :D option yesterday for friend's "prepping" website that allowed me to have such things as a bigger knife, an Israeli bandage, first-aid kit and a bottle of water in the park. Glad I didn't have to put it to the test!
I can't understand people who think banning guns makes them safer. They must also believe that banning books makes them smarter.

dipisc

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 01:57:45 PM »
Hi;

I have a BOB in a backpack set up (31 lbs ), and then I have a Bug Out Camping Bag ( 36 lbs )set up ready to go. It is for a 3 day away from home if needed items.

For the guy with kids, depending on thier ages, getting a BOB set up for them is a semi annual repack and inventory of thier items in the bag.

I expect to stay at a local motel if SHTF for a day or 2 - but anything after that is reassesed daily. Normally, flooding to keep me from the house only lasts 1-2 days.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 09:29:51 PM »
Setup the tread mill in the basement and the wife is walking every night.   I reload or tinker on my guns in the other room.    I've relayed Kevin's adventure in STL to her, so when she finishes walking she comes over and asks to see the ammo supply.

Now I've generally got 500-1000 rounds in every major caliber I own.   After surveying my stock she says, ...  (wait for it)   ...    (wait for it) ...  (wait for it) ...   "WE NEED MORE!"

Yes!   Yes!    W I N N E R
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:45:10 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 06:37:07 AM »
May help explain why SHE got the Cabela's flyer . ;D

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 10:34:08 AM »
Poor Alf..or any man who ends up with a wife who is never satisfied.

;D ;D ;D ;D
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 03:02:32 PM »
some ideas for a vehicle carry kit... I have a 72+ hour remain overnight kit in the SUV, but when I travel out of town include a Jansport bag that holds a G17 with TLR-1, extra mag, and Surefire 6P with a LED upgrade to 650lumens... in the external pouch a few trauma supplies... 4" Israeli bandage, SOF tourniquet, QuickClot sponge, Kerlix gauze, petroleum gauze, irrigation syringe, tape,gloves

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 03:28:44 PM »
a high profile murder trial in Florida persuaded me to upgrade my compact firepower.....I'm a game player but also a realist, and assumed it might be advantageous to have a relatively compact firearm that extends practical range to 150m or so... my solution was a 10 1/2" AR "pistol" in 5.56.... a friend offered me a Mk18 upper, so looking at the ATF rulings from their technical division at the time, decided that would be the platform (disclaimer.... make sure you look up the proper ATF requirements and don't rely on me for your information)... the way I read the law, (1) as to not make a short barreled rifle (SBR) was that first it had to be a rifle, so purchased a new receiver and had the ATF4473 marked as "other" (2) the ruling that any receiver extension( buffer tube) could be used, but that a  stock could not be readily available... I shoot nose to charging handle so a carbine buffer tube could be used that would get me close, but still a little too close (3) a rubber crutch tip type end cap was allowed, and this added a little anti slip for my purpose.... I chose a commercial "pistol" buffer tube and W2 buffer as to not have the adjustable holes associated a carbine stock (if I had used an adjustable carbine buffer tube, I had planned on adding a sling swivel to prevent the addition of a stock)... (4) with the Sig Brace ruling, I replaced the shorter pistol tube with a slightly longer tube from KAK, and with the addition of a SigBrace puts my nose to charging handle... a linear comp helps push the blast away from the shooter... it accomplishes what I wanted without the expense and time required for a revocable living trust and tax stamp for a SBR.... Les

ExurbanKevin

• Ammoman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 09:39:40 PM »
There was a quote on a recent podcast that I'm going to butcher, but it was something to the effect that the point of a defensive long arm, be it rifle or shotgun, was to move the fight off your front porch. The BLR Project, my SU-16C, an AR pistol, even a "mare's leg" lever gun all extend the fight out beyond bad-breath range.

Heck, Alf and I can tell you that something as simple as a red-dot on your pistol helps you get good hits at 50 yards. :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk