Author Topic: New to 'Black' rifles and the like...  (Read 26447 times)

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New to 'Black' rifles and the like...
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2012, 08:44:20 PM »
Might as well buy one now since she already thinks you've got one.
Why else would you be buying mags.   ;D

She sees the handwriting on the wall.  I spent this weekend volunteering out at my range for Hunter Sight-In, 12 "Work bond" hours taken care of for this year, and out of all the guys I coached/called shots for the most fun was the kid with the AR and his family (mom, dad & girlfriend) were the most fun, 2 hours, 3 guns (AR, .270 & 300 Win Mag), 100+ rounds, 2 guys and 2 girls good times.  Spent an extra hour spotting for a Marine that was a DM and has shot competitively since then, nice Noveske set-up.  "We're just finishing cleaning up and pulling targets honey, really..."  Never lie to her, unless shooting is involved because she makes me  ;D
He who dares wins.  SAS

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2012, 09:23:59 PM »
The seller has 5 lots of ten with the orange followers (the newest issue, they replaced the greens) left. Those are $85 per 10, or, for the math challenged, $8.50 each. ;D However, deadline is midnight tonight as he's packing up for a move, so if you want some, order in the next two hours. Magoo and I have both had good experiences with this guy. He owns AR15armory.com, and he won't screw you. I'd buy now, as I don't see mags getting cheaper between now and November.
FQ13
Here's the URL. The guy's name is Niel
http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/USGI-MAGS-Sale-t125065.html

BBJohnnyT

• NRA Endowment Member
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2012, 11:20:29 AM »
For your purposes, a basic Smith & Wesson M&P Sport is a great value, giving the best bang for the buck.  Sure it lacks some features found in other higher priced ARs (no foregrip rails, no forward assist), but IMO they aren't show stoppers.  S&W kept the quality where it matters most, in the upper and lower receivers, barrel and bolt carrier group. It also keeps the rifle at just 6.5 pounds, making it good if you ever find yourself bugging out on foot if SHTF.  You'll REALLY appreciate saving a pound or more over a tacticool loaded AR if you're hoofing it.  This is open for debate, but I consider the "must have" accessories to be only a gun mounted flashlight, a sighting device (scope or red-dot) and a sling.  Other things are nice, such as a forward vertical grip, but just add cost and weight. For low cost and low weight, I suggest an Elzetta flashlight mount, Bushnell TRS-25 with a UTG riser mount (0.83 inch for co-witness or 1 inch for lower 1/3 co-witness) and a basic sling and you'll have a great carbine for around 850 bucks, including these accessories.  That's value.  More money for magazines and ammo!  You'll need it.

"If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns." - Edward Abbey

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2012, 11:44:46 AM »
S&W makes a nice AR. No doubt about it.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2012, 11:52:44 AM »
I like that elzetta mount too. Never heard of the brand, but it seems like a good idea for a flashlight, not so sure about a laser, in terms of holding poa, but a neat idea.
FQ13

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 02:04:50 PM »

BBJohnnyT

• NRA Endowment Member
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2012, 12:07:24 PM »
I like that elzetta mount too. Never heard of the brand, but it seems like a good idea for a flashlight, not so sure about a laser, in terms of holding poa, but a neat idea.
FQ13
Elzetta is great.  I'm running this mount on one of my ARs with a Spikes Tactical enhanced mid-length upper.  I also have their Remington 870 flashlight mount on my bedroom shotgun.  Light weight and rock solid.  IMO, a laser is a "nice to have" but a gun mounted flashlight is an absolute necessity on every personal defense weapon.  With night taking up half the day, and bad guys like to do bad things in the the cover of darkness, I figure the odds of having to use your defense weapon in the dark at much greater than 50%.

I never mounted a laser on an AR, but I run red-dot sights all the time, including this particular Bushnell on my 10/22.  I do have lasers on a couple of pistols, and they work great.
"If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns." - Edward Abbey

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2012, 06:48:31 PM »
Sure it lacks some features found in other higher priced ARs (no foregrip rails, no forward assist), but IMO they aren't show stoppers.  S&W kept the quality where it matters most, in the upper and lower receivers, barrel and bolt carrier group.

I don't consider that a bad thing either - if the round doesn't want to chamber why force it?
I could do without it on my M&P.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2012, 02:54:39 AM »
I don't consider that a bad thing either - if the round doesn't want to chamber why force it?
I could do without it on my M&P.
Yep. Screw SPORTS. Just work the charging handle and chamber a new round. You've still got 27 (assuming 28 in a 30 round mag) to go. If its a double feed, then its failure drill time, but other wise? Unless you want to chamber your round silently, and not let the charging handle slam home, I don't see much need for the F/A. Personally, I'm hopefully going to be locked and loaded before it becomes an issue.

Here's a side note. I recently bought some USGI mags, and damn, I really like my P-mags. Don't get me wrong, the GI mags work great, but not much improved over what I used in ROTC in the '80s. The P-mags, well, I just need to place them in the mag well, but the USGI? You need to give them a hard slap on the bottom to make sure they seat right. From there, they are flawless, and at $7.50 a pop I ain't bitching, but the P-mags, at twice the price seem to be worth the money. Too bad I don't have it. :'( I'll just treasure the four I do have). I get why the military goes with "good enough" as they are a disposable item and the Army buys them by the millions, but if I were to be deployed, I'd be on magpul's Christmas card list.
FQ13
FQ13

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2012, 07:29:19 AM »
Where's a good place to get the pmags?
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Respen33

• Packing IT guy
  • Forum Member
  • What round is 30 rounds if you cant hit the paper.
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2012, 08:00:38 AM »
You may want to pick your caliber of choice first. Then build from there. The AR platform has 9mm, 5.56(223), 7.62(308), 7.62x39, 6.8mm, .458 socom, and even .22lr.

5.56 platforms(m4 or ar-15) have the most accessory choices. You can buy cheap and upgrade everything to be a superior rifle. Some makers(rock river arms or lwrc) are out of box accurate.

7.62 platform(m16 or ad-10) have almost as much out there in accessories. The caliber is used in many hunting rifles making it versatile. Also this round will be the "last" to be banned because the .308 is a pinnacle hunting round. So longevity is there.

Anything else just increases your cost of ownership, sans the .22.
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk