Author Topic: BHO: I Am Constrained  (Read 7711 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
BHO: I Am Constrained
« on: April 04, 2013, 07:39:01 PM »
Obama: ‘I Am Constrained By A System That Our Founders Put In Place’

President Obama said that the Constitutional system that he took an oath to preserve, protect and defend constrains his ability to tackle gun control.
He’s right — that’s how it was designed.

While Obama hedges his language about a document the Constitutional scholar once said was ‘deeply flawed,’ it is clear that he wishes he could ‘do more’ to carry out his vision of a perfect world — one where the only people with guns work for the state. From CBS News:

“I believe there doesn't have to be a conflict in reconciling these realities,” Obama said in Denver, where he stepped up his call for background checks for all gun purchases and renewed his demand that Congress at least vote on banning assault weapons and limiting access to large-capacity ammunition magazines.

“There doesn't have to be a conflict between protecting our citizens and protecting our Second Amendment rights,” he said.

Obama projects into the minds of his audience a ‘reality’ where citizens are relatively disarmed, there is never any murder, and the government doesn't abuse the rights of the citizenry.

---------------------

Nonetheless, the president wants to see universal background checks, and argued that it is ‘over the top’ to claim that elected governments would ever take away guns.

You hear some of these quotes, “I need a gun to protect myself from the government.” “We can’t do background checks because the government is going to come take my guns away.” [Pause] The government is us. These officials are elected by you. I am elected by you. I am constrained. They are constrained, by a system that our Founders put in place. It’s a government of and by and for the people. … So surely we can have a debate that’s not based on the notion that somehow your elected representatives are trying to do something to you other than potentially prevent another group of families from grieving …

We’ve got to get past some of the rhetoric that gets perpetuated that breaks down trust and is so over the top that it just shuts down all of the discussion. It’s important for all of us, when hear that kind of talk, to say “hold on a second.” If there are any folks who are out there right now who are gun owners and you’ve been hearing that the government is taking away your guns. Get the facts. We’re not proposing a gun registration system. We’re proposing background checks for criminals.

If one might provide just a brief list of counter-factuals:

Exhibit A: National registry precedes gun confiscation in Canada.
Exhibit B: National registry precedes gun confiscation in Britain.
Exhibit C: National registry precedes gun confiscation in New Zealand & Australia
Exhibit D: Russia completely disarms populace and its current homicide rate is four times America’s.

As far as there being ‘nothing to fear’ from the government, one should say that to the some 250 million victims of murder-by-government in the twentieth century.

---------------

http://www.ijreview.com/2013/04/45095-obama-i-am-constrained-by-a-system-that-our-founders-put-in-place/
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: BHO: I Am Constrained
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 07:45:02 PM »
President Obama said that the Constitutional system that he took an oath to preserve, protect and defend constrains his ability to tackle gun control.

How telling.

Anyone anyone with character would say that the oath they took constrained them...even if they did not believe in the vision of freedom and liberty upon which America was founded.

What he is saying is that his oath means nothing and he is constrained until he is able to work around the pesky Constitution.

His action in all matters lends proof to that.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 07:51:36 PM »
Caught this earlier, what an interesting choice of words,....Hmmmm,,,what did he also say at a speech to LaRaza about bypassing Congress but that darn pesky Constitution gets in the way,.....Again foiled by our Founders that limit a wannabe tyrant?

OBTW, he's on Drudge hoping and wishing Pelosi gets back the Speaker Of The House position so "he can get more done".....

So if he wasn't "constrained" he would ,......what..???????

Be nothing but a two bit Hugo Chavez dictator......Sadly, the low information voter is still watching American Idol and waiting on their handout.....
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 08:03:34 PM »
Use 'em or lose 'em.
If the Gov can take your guns, or magazines they can take anything else they want , like your ass.
6 million European Jews say that any one who puts up with this deserves the result.

locnload

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 11:01:54 PM »
"We’re proposing background checks for criminals."

If that is the case then I have a great idea, every politician running for office, running for reelection, or for that matter holding a public office at the effective date of the law, must pass the same background check required to buy a firearm.  That should also include appointed positions paid for by tax dollars.  It would immediately raise the collective IQ of the political system, and it would make them think long and hard about adding any more "crimes" to the list of disqualifiers for approval.  Lets start with BHO.   :o

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:59:40 PM »

MLC

• Active Forum Member
    • Place where I post things
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 01:31:14 PM »
What's shameful is that he was allegedly a Constitutional Law professor.  Sometimes I get the feeling he was just studying his enemy. 

“There doesn’t have to be a conflict between protecting our citizens and protecting our Second Amendment rights,” he said.

Correct, Mr. President.  Our citizens are better protected by giving them the ability to protect themselves, and you leaving the Second Amendment the Hell alone.

"So surely we can have a debate that’s not based on the notion that somehow your elected representatives are trying to do something to you other than potentially prevent another group of families from grieving"

So we should outlaw grieving? Or maybe outlaw murder?  Or wait, silly idea, but how about we ALLOW PEOPLE TO DEFEND THEMSELVES?! I'm just spit ballin' here.  Take it or leave it.

First, you imply that those who don't want your draconian, failed gun control somehow don't care about other people.  That is false and asinine.  Second, yes, the debate should be based on that very notion.  Your fellow gun grabbers have said on numerous occasions what their end goals are.  I seem to recall the words "ban", "registration", and even "confiscation" being bandied about a couple times.
We could also take a peek at what is actually happening at the State level in Colorado, Maryland, Connecticut, New York, California, etc etc.

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 01:40:19 PM »
Constrained ?
It's a shame he hasn't been castrated .

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 02:35:19 PM »
Constrained ?
It's a shame he hasn't been castrated .

For a start.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 07:06:57 PM »
Maybe we could get this guy to do it .   ;D

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 08:58:18 PM »
Use 'em or lose 'em.
If the Gov can take your guns, or magazines they can take anything else they want , like your ass.
6 million European Jews say that any one who puts up with this deserves the result.

Something like 65-80 million men, women and precious innocent children were slaughtered by their governments in the 1900's.  Gee, that was just yesterday......
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk