Author Topic: Ammo Can  (Read 935 times)

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Ammo Can
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2024, 09:40:00 PM »
Well, admission is the first step Tyler.  Good on you.

The next step is to get rid of all that pesky stuff, put it out of your iife to recover further.

I'll pay 1/2 the shipping for you to send it to Arkansas...if your addiction was really bad I may just drive up with my truck and trailer and haul it off for you.

Let’s see if I can get the image posting function to work.

I don’t come here very often.

My collection probably looks like that quantity wise.

But neater since I have a label maker

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1111
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2024, 04:24:32 AM »
I took everything out of my ammo can and put my 30 year old UMC yellow box .223 Remington 55 grain FMJ ammo in. The 20 round boxes are way bigger than the 30 round boxes of M193 ball that were already in it, but I figured out how to put 4 20s and 5 30s on edge lengthwise, with another 30 round box sideways at one end, like the illustration I just made. Then I added another layer just like it, oriented the opposite direction. And there was enough room left for 2 more 20 round boxes of UMC, plus 2 20 round boxes of Winchester White Box lying flat on top of those. The way I figure it that's 600 rounds, but if all of it was in the 30 round boxes, I could fit 10 boxes lengthwise plus 5 standing on end in the first layer, like the 3rd illustration, and 10 more boxes in the second layer. That's how I had it filled before. That's already 750 rounds, and plenty of room left for more. I don't remember how many rounds were in it when it was completely full but it was heavy. After I vacuumed there was always an impression left in the carpet. The way they pack is why I really like those 30 round boxes. That, and each box is a mag full. There are no plastic boxes with foam inserts to hold each individual cartridge, or 2 10-round plastic shell carriers to put on your belt, or anything else. Just ammo. I managed to put almost all of the rest of my rifle and pistol ammo, except what's in mags, in my footlocker. But not 2 cardboard boxes full of .357 Maximum ammo. There's no way I can make room for that. I have most of my rimfire ammo in the footlocker too, except for a few boxes of CCI Stangers.

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfire/cci/stinger/6-50100CC.html
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 583
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2024, 07:35:42 AM »
I needed the safe space, do now I just stack it in my home office.  Not even sure how much is there to be honest.   I have not bought ammo in at least 2 years.   Been mainly shooting my reloads for the past 5 years.

I had not been buying but recently I figured that ammo prices had bottomed out.  So some 5.56 and 9MM slipped in there.  If something jolts the price up....and it will...I'll sell of the old stuff.  And..I've picked up some 30-30 that has not been so available and a little 243 because I only had a partial box or two lying around.  Now I need to pick up a couple of boxes for a 257 Wthby Magnum but I'm waiting for my loan to be processed.... :o

<snip>
My collection probably looks like that quantity wise.

But neater since I have a label maker

So, what are you saying here Tyler?  Are you taking the next step to cure your addition?  Are we going to ship it here or do I have to come up and get it?  Heck, I can put that in the back of the pickup I don't even need a trailer....we can do this today if you want!!!   ;D
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2024, 11:14:02 PM »
I had not been buying but recently I figured that ammo prices had bottomed out.  So some 5.56 and 9MM slipped in there.  If something jolts the price up....and it will...I'll sell of the old stuff.  And..I've picked up some 30-30 that has not been so available and a little 243 because I only had a partial box or two lying around.  Now I need to pick up a couple of boxes for a 257 Wthby Magnum but I' waiting for my loan to be processed.... :o

So, what are you saying here Tyler?  Are you taking the next step to cure your addition?  Are we going to ship it here or do I have to come up and get it?  Heck, I can put that in the back of the pickup I don't even need a trailer....we can do this today if you want!!!   ;D

Sorry, Rastus….no deal.

Although I might just try winning one of the government liquidation auctions, and going to some Army base with a rental box truck or a flatbed trailer to pick them up.

If I ever do that, you’ll be the first to know.

;-P

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2024, 05:53:19 AM »
I brought in my .30 cal. ammo can. In the army, I think we normally got 5.56mm ammo in .50 cal. ammo cans when we went to the range, but maybe it came in .30 cal. cans too. I can't say that it did or didn't because they had a supply clerk dealing with it, not me. It was in 10 round clips in 7 pocket cloth bandoliers, 20 rounds per cardboard sleeve, with one clip guide per bandolier.

Here's my .30 cal. can with my tow chain and extra hook and quick link, and with some cassette tapes when I took the chain out. It will hold 18 tapes as shown plus 2 stacks of 3 lying on top, for a total of 24. If you lay them all flat in 2 piles it will only hold 23. I remember some guys putting some of their favorites in an ammo can when we went to the field. 24 tapes will hold A and B of my collection, but only up to Jackson Browne. I keep my comedy tapes separate, and most would fit in the ammo can. I never tried putting CDs in an ammo can but I have over 500 of them and it would be a hard decision which ones to take if I could only keep what fits in an ammo can. If I want to grab whatever fits in the car console for a weekend up north, I grab 6 or 8, but mostly listen to SiriusXM.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:56:55 AM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 583
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2024, 09:00:57 PM »
So Frank, convert those CD's to flac files.  I have 130 albums on a 128 GB thumb drive....with room for more.  Heck you can put all 500 of your CD's in a CCI Stinger box with room to spare.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2024, 08:38:06 AM »
If I did convert them I would indeed use FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec), not ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec), WMA Lossless (Windows Media Audio Lossless), or one of the less popular ones. And not a lossy codec, like AAC or MP3. Then I would have enough audio files to listen to 8 hours a day for over 2 months, but it would take a lot to time to rip all those CDs ans download them.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2024, 12:15:27 PM »
I've lost count of all the cans I've had over the years. I went through a downsizing as I sold some of my rifle collection and the ammo went with it in cans. I have an odd assortment of .30 and .50, including more than a few side latch .50s, plus a couple of 20mm, and one Russian 7.62x39 wooden box - with the Russian writing still on it.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2024, 05:47:43 AM »
I gave away a bunch of ammo for Christmas years ago so I'd have room to keep what I put in the footlocker and ammo can. I think I gave away all of my Korean 5.56mm ammo and a bunch of 12 gauge. Maybe some other stuff too.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2024, 10:06:16 AM »
I put the M855 ball ammo I got from PSA in my footlocker and put more M193 ball ammo in my ammo can, along with some 55-grain .223 Remington FMJ to fill the can up. It's 870 rounds if I counted right. Here's a pic of the ammo can but it didn't turn out very well. The picture of my footlocker, on the other hand, turned out much better. It looks almost as attractive as pictures at an online candy store where I shop. On the far right you can see the left edge of the second layer of 5.56x45mm ammo. After I put all my M855 in the bottom and started the second layer, I put all my .223 in according to weight; 77, 75, 64, 62, 60, 55, 53, and 40 grain. No 45 or 50 grain ammo, but some of the 55 grain is Sierra Prairie Enemy. - Prairie Enemy ammunition utilizes our world famous BlitzKing bullets that offer high ballistic coefficients and high velocities. Our 55 grain ammunition utilizes the same 55 grain Blitzking that has terrorized varmints for years. That should work better in fast twist AR barrels than lighter bullets. The upper left corner of the footlocker is all .45 ACP, and the lower left is a little bit of .45 Colt and .410 bore. Next to that is .44 Magnum, then .380 ACP, and .22 WMR, with .22LR behind them, between the .45 ACP and .223 Remington. I can't get all of my rifle, pistol, or rimfire ammo in the footlocker, but I can get most of each in there, not counting what's in the ammo can and cassette tape case. I still have a few cardboard boxes of various ammo, plus 2 boxes full of .357 Max. and a few boxes full of shotgun ammo. Whenever I get around to it, I'll take the cheap .22 ammo out and make room for the Stingers or more centerfire ammo. I should take all the .22 LR out and see what I can fit in in its place.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk