Author Topic: $hucks it is cold...  (Read 1610 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 583
Re: $hucks it is cold...
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2024, 07:55:47 AM »
Well, we are up to 0 right now....it was -2. 

This is really a pain.  It was too cold to start the tractor yesterday...but we're going all the way up to 14 or 15 today.  I'll head out in a couple of hours and start putting some heat on the tractor engine...I have to break ice for the livestock to have drink today.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1111
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2024, 08:13:19 AM »
It was 2 degrees an hour and a half ago with 74% humidity and felt like -10. Then it got colder, not warmer when the sun came up. It's still 1 degree, but now it feels like 14 below. It's 78% humidity and the wind is up to 9 mph now.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2024, 10:44:31 AM »
Last night my friend texted me pictures from the cabin. Since it's a 3-day weekend he went up there to work on stuff, or go snowmobiling the first time in a few years there was enough snow to ride on. Whatever the reason, it doesn't matter. It only matters to his wife that he went away, and left her alone. When he retires he can live at the cabin all winter, and she can live there all summer so he won't get on her nerves. :)  Nah, she'd never let the house be destroyed by guys while she's away that long. :D  I don't know how much it snowed or how fast, but he had to get the snowblower out of the garage/shed to clean out the driveway so he'll be able to come home. This is about halfway between Mio and Lewiston, the 2 cities I marked on Google Maps. It's a good deal north in the mitten from here, so it "up north" but not "way up north" across the bridge. And when people in Michigan simply say the bridge, there can only be one bridge they're talking about. The one between the state of Michigan and the 51st state, the State of Superior.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superior_(proposed_U.S._state)

The second picture is from the door of the garage. The third picture is facing right at the back of the cabin. The little hut against the wall is where the propane tanks for the stove are. The last pic is going past his mom's little cabin, back out to the private trail 3/8 of a mile away that leads to the road. It takes a lot of 3/8 mile trips to clear the whole driveway. If I was there, I'd tell him to sit on the front rack of the ATV and operate the snowblower, while I drive really slow in low range. Forget about all that walking. That's a big, heavy duty pickup he drives, not a regular one, so the snow is even deeper than it looks. 
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2024, 10:53:23 AM »
No one ever complained about scraping sunshine off their windshield.

I checked and yes we'll will drop below 20f for a couple of mornings this coming week.  But just early in the mornings. Maybe a little mixed precip one day, but probably nothing sticking. 

Of course sub-freezing is good for the Peach Trees, who need several days of it each winter to blossom properly in the spring.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2024, 11:01:03 AM »
No one ever complained about the pavement melting under their feet when they walk around here in the summer. Every part of the country has something bad about it, and most have something good about them. IMO, Louisiana's only redeeming quality would be its cuisine. I've never been to the state of Misery, so I can't say what's good or bad about it. All I remember about Georgia is when you hit the northern border and think you're almost to Florida, it's still a long way to drive.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 10:51:37 PM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2024, 07:27:27 AM »
It was 21° this morning.....we're about 60 miles north of the GA/FL border...or about 200 miles south of Alf.
It got a little colder than earlier predicted but once it gets that cold a few degrees isn't much to feel....but, those few degrees CAN mean the difference in frozen pipes and such. It's a matter of time as to how long it stays below freezing.
It's supposed to get into the low 50's for the high today and right back down in the 20's again tonight.
It doesn't do this often here (Once last year it got into the teens for a day) but I'm thinking of investing in a few Freeze Misers to put on several water spigots around the farm.

https://www.freezemiser.com/
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 583
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2024, 08:58:47 AM »
We were up to 10 degrees by 8 AM this morning.  We're supposed to get as high as 33 today....whoo boy!
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2024, 10:21:38 AM »
I may have to reconsider what parallel I'm willing to live.  Understanding more every year why FL is a retirement haven.  Maybe below the 29th or 28th, or even with Kevin down near the 26th.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2024, 12:19:53 PM »
23 degrees warmer today than yesterday
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2024, 07:16:54 AM »
S'posed to hit 55° for the high here...which is close to normal with low in the 40's tomorrow then back into the low 20's Saturday and Sunday.....and THEN next week highs near 80.  8)
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk