Author Topic: Yet Again, Fl. WTF? Non-English DL's?  (Read 2023 times)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Yet Again, Fl. WTF? Non-English DL's?
« on: March 18, 2010, 02:12:10 AM »
Sometimes I love my state, sometimes I think we should cede it back to Spain (as though we haven't already). :'( Here's the thing. I am, as you know, an unemployed teacher. So, figuring if I can't sell my trade, I can at least give it away, Christian/patriotic duty and all that.

So I decide to take a course with the county library system to tutor in adult literacy ( a phonics based program thank God!). Anyway, I spent my St. Paddy's Day finishing my last training course. While there, the very liberal, but not stupid, head of the program, was asked about student goals. Was it a GED, workplace vocab, citizenship tests etc., and how do we as tutors tailor the program to meet those goals. Someone brought up getting a DL. She actually apologized, stopped short of a rant involving 4 letter words, and explained that in the Sunshine State, illiteracy was no bar to a DL. No matter the language, no problem. Call ahead, wait three weeks (quicker than a CCW) and you could answer orally to someone reading the test to you!!!!!! >:( >:( >:( Don't worry about those pesky road and street signs, or big flashing warning signs, no problemo. I thought it was bad when we couldn't insist on legal status to get a license, now illiteracy is ok? How about doing away with the vision test and the BAC? WTF? Get a rope. Thing is, its our friendly GOP that put this abortion through in FL., so neither party has the monopoloy on, or even a casual acquaintence with, commonsense. I guess its no surprise though, an ignorant voter is any pols best friend. >:( Sorry for the rant, but give me a break. Illiteracy is no obstacle to safe driving?
FQ13

tombogan03884

Re: Yet Again, Fl. WTF? Non-English DL's?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 02:21:40 AM »
Vote Tom and TT in 2012.
Braille at the Drive up window ?
Worry.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 07:30:25 AM »
FQ,

You now must prove legal status to get or renew your license in FL.  Here is the card I just got from the DMV

All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 08:29:39 AM »
Stupidity is not the sole provenance of the State of Florida.  It can be found all over the country.  For example, I am certain you have seen the sign at the entrance to food stores:  NO DOGS ALLOWED.  Then in little tiny letters underneath that portion you will find:  Except Seeing Eye Dogs.  At the drive-up ATM at your local bank, all the numbers have their Braile equivalent alongside.  Now, I am all for non-discrimination against blind people, but come on.

As to the need for literacy to obtain a driver's license...  Well, one would think (if one were inclined to do that sort of thing) that the ability to read street signs would be one of the primary requirements for obtaining the priviledge of driving. 

But, I can relate from personal experience watching an elderly man with no firm idea of where he was, shuffle up to the DMV counter, lead by a nurse, to receive his Driver's License.  I initially thought maybe it was a Florida ID card, so I sneaked a peek over his shoulder, and sure enough, it was a DL.

So, FQ, your brief rant strikes a resonant chord in old Crusader's heart. 
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 09:22:52 AM »

At the drive-up ATM at your local bank, all the numbers have their Braile equivalent alongside.  Now, I am all for non-discrimination against blind people, but come on.

I've heard this example used to show the stupidity of folks.  It actually shows the opposite. These keyboards are found at drive thru ATMs so different product assembly lines and inventories don't need to be kept for braille/non-braille keyboards.

Also, the end user would have order the correct number of each, and then manage getting different ones out to the installers.

Using the standard keyboard makes a lot of sense.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:25:15 AM »

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 12:20:09 PM »
We just passed a bill here in Tn. that makes English the ONLY  language that may be used in any format or workplace. There is no dual language crap here.  8)
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 12:37:38 PM »
We just passed a bill here in Tn. that makes English the ONLY  language that may be used in any format or workplace. There is no dual language crap here.  8)

NEEDS to be national!
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

tt11758

• Noolis bastardis carborundum (Don't let the bastards wear you down)
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger ~
    • 10-Ring Firearms Training
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 01:12:26 PM »
Stupidity is not the sole provenance of the State of Florida.  It can be found all over the country.  For example, I am certain you have seen the sign at the entrance to food stores:  NO DOGS ALLOWED.  Then in little tiny letters underneath that portion you will find:  Except Seeing Eye Dogs.  At the drive-up ATM at your local bank, all the numbers have their Braile equivalent alongside.  Now, I am all for non-discrimination against blind people, but come on.

As to the need for literacy to obtain a driver's license...  Well, one would think (if one were inclined to do that sort of thing) that the ability to read street signs would be one of the primary requirements for obtaining the priviledge of driving. 

But, I can relate from personal experience watching an elderly man with no firm idea of where he was, shuffle up to the DMV counter, lead by a nurse, to receive his Driver's License.  I initially thought maybe it was a Florida ID card, so I sneaked a peek over his shoulder, and sure enough, it was a DL.
So, FQ, your brief rant strikes a resonant chord in old Crusader's heart. 

Tell the truth, Rabbit........you were that elderly man, weren't you?   ;D
I love waking up every morning knowing that Donald Trump is President!!

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 10:03:17 PM »
tt be nice, He's going to vote for us.
Piss off your democrat listeners, they'll hate us anyway.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk