Author Topic: Does anyone here have their blood checked for lead  (Read 6849 times)

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Does anyone here have their blood checked for lead
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 11:22:03 PM »
I used to shoot a once a week indoor IDPA style match.  I went to IDPA Nat's in 2007, won my class in my division, and was subsequently banned from that indoor range when I got back home.  Anywhooo...despite all the rumor mongering amongst all the St. Louis area shooters, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise.  I picked up casting boolits and dropping my own bird shot, but not shooting those indoor matches anymore is what really made my lead levels drop.  They were in the low 20's, and now they are in single digits, even though I still cast boolits and make birdshot.

Just like snorting coke, the quickest way to get anything into your system is to aerosolize it and then inhale it.  That is exactly what you're doing at a crappy indoor range.

santahog

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 05:58:08 PM »
Only if there's not an exit wound...
With friends like these, who needs hallucinations!..

Frosty

• Top Forum Member
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 08:17:31 AM »
Every yr. I get a full blown blood work up dince 1985. This is due to being a F/F haz-mat tech and req. by my dept., I also reload and shoot indoors alot in the winter months and always wash my mitts. For 20 plus yrs. i have never had any elevated levels.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people.  On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and a complete narcissistic moron.”  H.L. Mencken, The Baltimore Evening Sun,  July 26, 1920.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 09:07:17 AM »
I used to shoot a once a week indoor IDPA style match.  I went to IDPA Nat's in 2007, won my class in my division, and was subsequently banned from that indoor range when I got back home. 

Really!?!  I would be happy to shoot with a National Champion even if he kicked my butt every week!
He who dares wins.  SAS

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 02:53:14 PM »
 serum lead level is measured in micrograms per deciliter of blood (.000001g per 100ml blood) with a standard <10 ug/dl

wash your hands, blow your nose after shooting...have your level checked, just one more box for you Dr to check on your bloodwork...all lead compounds are poisonous

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 07:04:54 AM »

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 09:17:28 PM »
serum lead level is measured in micrograms per deciliter of blood (.000001g per 100ml blood) with a standard <10 ug/dl

wash your hands, blow your nose after shooting...have your level checked, just one more box for you Dr to check on your bloodwork...all lead compounds are poisonous

I've heard the 230 grain ones are extremely poisonous  ;D.  But seriously, I used to work in Environmental Cleanup and had my blood levels checked going onto and off of every job.  We dealt with some nasty stuff but my levels remained withing normal levels, PPE and proper hygiene work.
He who dares wins.  SAS

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2012, 09:30:41 PM »
Really!?!  I would be happy to shoot with a National Champion even if he kicked my butt every week!

Yeah, thanks!

In my case, it was the bump from Sharpshooter to Expert.  It wasn't like I made Master, or that I was giving Rob Leatham, Dave Sevigny, or Bob Vogel a run for their money.   I received a nice looking plaque/trophy for my win, and Bill Wilson presented it to me and shook my hand.  So that was kinda neat.

As far as getting "banned", well, hey, I guess I was a victim of my own success.

The silver lining is that I am not in there every week inhaling all that lead.

Timothy

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2012, 09:47:06 PM »
The wonderful thing about the respiratory system is that it's a very efficient filter.  Unless you're a smoker, most of what you inhale is exhaled immediately.  The rest is filtered deeper by which, your system rids itself of bothersome contaminants on a continual basis.  Lead is a nasty thing but the human body is wonderfully respondent to that which is not natural.

Play safe, consider the consequences and enjoy!

If you're playing in a range that is indoors, take a look around!  It's not that hard to figure if it's sucking air in (bad) or blowing air out (good)!  

Wash your hands, you probably had them in an inappropriate place anyway!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk