Author Topic: Which Buckshot? Low recoil, standard or mag?  (Read 12235 times)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Which Buckshot? Low recoil, standard or mag?
« on: November 26, 2009, 08:24:16 PM »
Ok. We have beaten the question of "Which shot size do I use for SD?" to death at least twice. Lets assume  that we are going with the consensus default of 2 3/4"" 00 buck in 12 gauge. Given this, what do we load? The Box O' Truth has demonstrated that, counterintuitivley, the low recoil loads pattern signifigantly tighter at close range than standard buck. Is this good or bad? What about magnum shells? I've seen little info on them. Lets assume a 5 yard distance (across a big living room) and maybe needing to  penetrate some dry wall if you are barricaded. Forget across the street and through a windshield. That's the cop's problem, not ours. Which type and brand (if you think it matters) do you reccomend and why?
FQ13 who hopes to hear from some experts (maybe even Rob if that damn Mexican rock hasn't screwed him up too badly). ;D

tombogan03884

Re: Which Buckshot? Low recoil, standard or mag?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 08:26:25 PM »
Try them and tell us what you find out.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 08:43:14 PM »
Try them and tell us what you find out.
You buy the shells, and I'll give the rage report.  ;D The point of the forum is that cheap SOBs like us can learn from others experience (paging Mr. Pincus and Mr. Bane, USAA1 et al.).  ;)
FQ13

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1112
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 08:50:59 PM »
I bought low recoil shells because I don't think they over-penetrate as bad.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 08:53:23 PM »
Low recoil for practice if you shoot alot, standard for business.
Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:21:49 AM »

USSA-1

• Top Forum Member
    • US Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 10:59:19 AM »
FQ13,

Let me save you some time.  The absolute best 00 Buckshot load I've ever tried is a relatively new load from Federal.

It's labeled as Federal Premium LE Ammunition, Tactical Buckshot with (and this is very important) Flitecontrol Wad.

It's 9 pellet 00 Buckshot at 1,145 fps.  The product code is LE132 00.

I can just about keep all 9 pellets in the A-zone of an IPSC target at 25 yards with my 14" Benelli shotgun.  It is without a doubt the tightest patterning 00 Buckshot load I've ever used.

I recommend it above all others.

USSA-1
"Occupo Mens"
Win the Fight

Watch The Tactical Rifle Channel

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 11:13:47 AM »
FQ13,

Let me save you some time.  The absolute best 00 Buckshot load I've ever tried is a relatively new load from Federal.

It's labeled as Federal Premium LE Ammunition, Tactical Buckshot with (and this is very important) Flitecontrol Wad.

It's 9 pellet 00 Buckshot at 1,145 fps.  The product code is LE132 00.

I can just about keep all 9 pellets in the A-zone of an IPSC target at 25 yards with my 14" Benelli shotgun.  It is without a doubt the tightest patterning 00 Buckshot load I've ever used.

I recommend it above all others.

USSA-1

Bow and worship!

:)
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 11:23:13 AM »
"14" Benelli shotgun"   :o

Cool stuff!  What is the intended purpose of the 18" law anyway?  Got a pic of the Benelli?  I'm wondering how you got it so short!?  I don't think the Benelli's they sell to the public could even be modified to that length if you had the permits to do it.

Still, cool stuff!

Rev.: I found pics of them.  NICE! 

Only thing 14" on mine is the length of pull.   ;D

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
USAA1
Thanks for your response, it does save time and money. Now, to prove that no good deed goes unpunished, I'll ask you another question. What will a 14" barrel do that an 18" won't? I would have said short range spread, but your report says that's not the case. Is it just concealability, or am I missing something?
FQ

Ranger Dave

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 12:07:59 PM »
USAA1
Thanks for your response, it does save time and money. Now, to prove that no good deed goes unpunished, I'll ask you another question. What will a 14" barrel do that an 18" won't? I would have said short range spread, but your report says that's not the case. Is it just concealability, or am I missing something?
FQ

I'll say it's for ease of movement inside tight places  buildings and such

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk