Author Topic: Expensive Carry Guns?  (Read 5770 times)

WilsonCQB1911

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Expensive Carry Guns?
« on: December 09, 2007, 02:29:52 PM »
What's everyone's opinion on expensive carry guns?

While I do understand the sentiment of "how much is your life worth?", I also have some concern about never getting that expensive and, possibly sentimental, carry piece back. 

If a less expensive gun is just as reliable and 95% of what the expensive gun is in terms of accuracy and everything else is it more efficient to use the less expensive gun and thus not lose such a nice piece?

just something I think about.  Yes, I know there are a lot of other considerations out there such as being sued, etc.  I'm not belittling those.  And I'm conscious of the emotional trauma that comes from that sort of situation.  I'm just wondering that all things being equal - would it be better to lose a cheaper carry gun or is the threat of losing a pistol not very real at all?

I just finished reading "The Great Gun Grab" about the Katrina incident BTW  ;)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: Expensive Carry Guns?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 02:51:16 PM »
I guess it all depends on what you think is expensive. 

I don't think a carry gun needs to be pretty.  All they need to do is go bang every time you pull the trigger( and only then) and hit where the point of aim is.   Every thing else is just for show.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 02:59:40 PM »
Reading your post I would guess you probably have a Wilson CQB or something similar.  Expensive does not mean better, more accurate and etc.  I have match guns that I would stake my life on but I carry a stock S&W 642 except for different grips and a lightly gone over Lightweight Colt Officers ACP.  Both are easier to conceal and all anyone could ask for personal protection IMO.  Check out the General Discussion p2 about the Kimber Ultra Carry 2.  Also check out Expanding Full Metal Jacket also p2.  There is also another post about carrying full size 1911's but I can't put my finger on it right now.  If the CQB is all I had/could afford at the time I'd go for it.
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

WilsonCQB1911

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 03:07:49 PM »
For me the Wilson is more accurate than my other fullsize 1911s.  But only by a bit.  Is it a better gun?  Yes.  Is it necessary over a stock Colt?  I dunno.

That's why I was wondering what your input was.

leatherman92

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 03:15:01 PM »
 it's your choice. ;)
One riot,one redneck

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:35:41 AM »

warhawke

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 03:24:07 PM »
Expensive is relative, my $600 Kimber is expensive compared to a Makarov but peanuts next to a Les Baer. The real issue is what fits you and makes you comfortable. If you feel secure with a $289 Charles Daly then go for it, but if your Wilson is the only gun for you it makes your choice no less or more valid.
"Una salus victus nullam sperare salutem"
(The one hope of the doomed is not to hope for safety)
Virgil

ismram

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 07:34:15 PM »
What's everyone's opinion on expensive carry guns?

While I do understand the sentiment of "how much is your life worth?", I also have some concern about never getting that expensive and, possibly sentimental, carry piece back. 

If a less expensive gun is just as reliable and 95% of what the expensive gun is in terms of accuracy and everything else is it more efficient to use the less expensive gun and thus not lose such a nice piece?

just something I think about.  Yes, I know there are a lot of other considerations out there such as being sued, etc.  I'm not belittling those.  And I'm conscious of the emotional trauma that comes from that sort of situation.  I'm just wondering that all things being equal - would it be better to lose a cheaper carry gun or is the threat of losing a pistol not very real at all?

I just finished reading "The Great Gun Grab" about the Katrina incident BTW  ;)
Do you think that your going too have your gun taken, like what happend down there?
IDPA, NRA (IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR MILITARY PLEASE STAND IF FRONT OF THEM!!!)

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 07:43:21 PM »
I wouldnt carry anything I couldnt replace. If you have the money to carry a 2000.00 pistol by all means do so.  :)
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

saltydogbk

• Better to die on my feet than live on my knees
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 07:46:35 PM »
I would hate to lose any gun, I just love the little darlings so....
You can never have too many guns, or too much ammo

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 879
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 11:06:41 PM »
I believe that in the $600 to $1,000 range you can get any number of guns that are just as reliable as a $1,500 to $2,500 gun.  Who can fault any major manufacturer carry style gun (standard model or custom shop/performance center).  Remember that you are not shooting 50 yard bullseye here.  You are point shooting at a 12" x 18" torso from no more than ten yards. 

My two favorite carry guns are a S&W hammerless J frame and a Gov't model 1911.  For less than $3,000 I can have two of each, shoot and practice with them on a regular basis and have a back up of each as they go in for regular maintenance.  My 1911's have both been rotated through the factory shop after approx. 10,000 rounds through one and 8,000 through the other.  Even with the turn around time I still always had one with me.

My advice is that while I believe in buying the best I can afford, the best tool for a carry gun is not the most expensive.  A $500 gun that you shoot weekly will hit the target far better than the $2,000 gun that you clean weekly.  Buy reliable and spend the excess on practice ammo!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk