Author Topic: Paraplegic shooting tatical  (Read 8514 times)

wheels

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Paraplegic shooting tatical
« on: March 06, 2007, 11:35:44 PM »
ok.. I want to start tatical shooting. Are there any para's here with any experience doing this? Perhaps I should just stick to bullseye shooting?

But apparently this would be very good experience for me. How do you move with a gun while you use a wheelchair? It usually takes 2 hands to operate a manual chair. So If one hand is holding the gun, on is switching between wheels.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Paraplegic shooting tatical
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 06:19:35 PM »
1st congratulations on wanting to try, practical/tactical shooting is all about where you are and solving the problem with what you have at the time. The answer to your question is you would reholster while moving from target to target. Indeed there may obstacles that a wheel chair would not be the vehicle of choice, but if you find a good club that will support you, you might find the range master may design more wheel chair stages. We have often had scenarios that involve limited movement or options, like being on the toilet in a public restroom, with your pants around your ankles. Limited options there, shoot everything you can see from where you are. Being a para, you certainly could be a target, so solving potential
problems on the square range will not hurt you a bit. Better to find out now, what your limitations and strengths are, than on the street. Talk to your local practical match director and find out what their thoughts are.

Good Luck, whatever you decide. :)
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

D.R. Middlebrooks

• Active Forum Member
    • Tactical Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 10:50:18 AM »
Wheels,

Bully for you! I'm sure we can some desert camo for your wheel chair!  ;)

I posted a picture of the "Guard" shooting position on the "grip technique" thread (should have posted it here  :( ).

Anyway, maybe we can help. what kind of gun do you shoot and where is your holster mounted?

Cheers,

D.R. Middlebrooks - CEO
Tactical Shooting Academy
www.TacticalShooting.com

wheels

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 11:07:13 PM »
Springfield XD 9mm.

I keep the gun in a gunmate holster to keep it dry. And the holster is in my backpack behind my wheelchair. Sometimes I wear a fanny pack but only if I am at the range. The fanny pack is not wife approved. Something about being the wrong style. I have not tried a sholder holster. I live in Texas and it gets pretty hot here after January. Today it's about 70 but next week we hit 80 with 90% humidity. Then 100 - 105 with 95 - 100% humidity. You know the steam Sauna at the gym you pay to go to, well go sit in that room with your heavy winter jacket and that is the weather here.

The backpack is always with me but the holster is not secured in the back pack. So the gun ends up in the bottom of the bag and I have to search around for the gun. Definately not quick draw here. So I need to solve that in some kind of way. Maybe a bag that sits between my legs that is attached to my chair?

Holsters that connect to your pants are out of the question. You can't have pressure on your skin below your level of injury. If you do, then you risk pressure sores that take months to heal. So D.R. I am a particular challenge. The #1 thing for me to always worry about is situation awarness.

But #2 I NEED to be able to get to the gun quickly and I need to keep it safe. But working out issues like this is what makes this fun.

D.R. Middlebrooks

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 07:24:30 AM »

You definitely need fast access as you will be stalked. Did you see that 103 year old granny with a walker get mugged the other day? Bad Guy punched her in the face a few times, robbed her then punched her again.  >:( (Like Clint Smith says, "Some people just need to be shot!  :o ).

So, being handicapped you are an easy target...unless you're armed!  8)

I am glad you are aware of your surroundings, too. That's 90% of it...  :)

I think the gun should be "Open Carried" for fast access. It will be a deterrent in my opinion, especially since most muggers are cowards praying on the weak and elderly. They may be afraid of the gun. But the flip side of that is they may try to take it. So, I think the Serpa Holster from Blackhawk would be a good choice, it has a trigger lock for weapons retention security. And the Bad Guy may not know how to push the button to release the gun, and from his approach angle, it may be hard for him to get to the button with his trigger finger.

Further, the gun is VERY secure and won't fall out, especially when you put the wheel chair in and out of vehicles.

Between the legs would be a good spot, too. For both convenience and weapons retention.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

D.R.

www.TacticalShooting.com

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:09:15 AM »

wheels

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 08:22:19 AM »
Open carry?

I understand that when you carry a gun, he gun has to be concealed. The objective is you can carry a gun, but you can't show the world that your carrying a gun..

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 08:28:10 AM »
Open carry?

I understand that when you carry a gun, he gun has to be concealed. The objective is you can carry a gun, but you can't show the world that your carrying a gun..

wheels, that would depend on your state law(s).
Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

D.R. Middlebrooks

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 11:50:59 AM »
wheels, that would depend on your state law(s).

Sorry, I thought you were from TEXAS...

Anyway, it shouldn't be a problem to attach a Kydex holster and cover it with a flap of some kind.

No one would be expecting a crippled guy in a wheel chair to you to have a gun, so that is a BIG plus... 8)

Stay safe,

D.R.

www.TacticalShooting.com

Cancerman

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 04:28:27 PM »
Wheels I would look at maxpedition.com(spelling). They have all kinds of bags with weapon retention systems. I'm sure on would adapt to your needs.

Willie

Lawrence Keeney

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 06:23:30 PM »
Wheels I would look at maxpedition.com(spelling). They have all kinds of bags with weapon retention systems. I'm sure on would adapt to your needs.

Willie

Yep, a Maxpedition fatboy with the holster attachment in the back would accept an XD-9MM. It took my Glock 17, it should accept one of those, should it not?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk