Author Topic: Simple Q...  (Read 4966 times)

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Simple Q...
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 08:53:34 AM »
Im not a hunter, but if I was I would take exception to the "not complete" remark. Dont know where your going with this? I think you can kill a deer with a pocket knife, lets do that to be "complete" hunters.  ::)
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 08:57:30 AM »
Please explain the objections to deer hunting with a 1911.

A well placed shot of suitable caliber will penetrate vitals. The only objection can think of is that one may not get a profusely bleeding through and through shot to aid in tracking.

A well shot deer does not need to be tracked.  I think with a 1911 you're going to end up with a wounded deer that will EVENTUALLY die but I don't think a clean kill is a high probability.  That is why the objection.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

gunman1911

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger Emeritus
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 10:32:59 AM »
I agree with Hazcat, But if you must make certain that you shoot be true I hope you plan on using this animal for feeding your family or some others. I live in northern Mi. and we wait all year to shoot what our license allows us to in order to supplement what wee can not afford as we can not afford to go to hunting ranches just to get  a big buck we here hunt the real hunt. To eat.
Back up guns---Better to have and not need than to need and not have!

red rider

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 03:47:35 AM »
And deer shot with an arrow fall right over in their tracks and die instantly?

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 07:31:26 AM »
Yes I have seen that happen, and any well hit deer will go no more than 50 yards.  It is normally a pass through shot and easy to track as the deer is dead and bleeding copiously and doesn't even know it.

Sorry, no comparison between an instrument fashioned for hunting and on fashioned for killing people (hint, people die easier).  That is why in an answer above I said I had no problem with hunting with an EBR AS LONG AS IT WAS THE PROPER CALIBER FOR THE GAME.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:04:14 PM »

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2007, 11:23:45 PM »
The original question was a 1911, well in .460 rowland or .45 super it is definitely capable,  if the original question meant a .45 acp, it really does'nt make a difference which handgun it is fired from. I have killed 2 deer with a .45acp. Waited for the correct shot and made it. Should I have done it, yes, We only get so many chances to try our skill in the field, I now know what I can do with what I brought, given it's limitations. Everything else is armchair speculation. Yes those 2 animals dropped within 10 feet. They might not have with different bullet placement. I believe in testing your skill and equipment with everything you have. Yes, if you fail in proper bullet placement, or arrow placement, the game could be lost, that is why we practice, and only take the shot that we know we can make. My personal companion is a Glock 21,,, not that I don't own very nice 1911's. It just seems that it is always with me. And because of that, has more oppurtunity to be shot in the field. It has more kills to it's credit, than any firearm I own, besides my shotguns. 2 deer, 13 raccoons, many cottontails and jackrabbits, 2 really big rattlesnakes, 3 possums and numerous squirrels. Once again, not because it is the most accurate, or powerful, but because it is with me.

" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 03:41:33 PM »
Deer shot with rifle rounds don't always drop right there either, even with perfect shot placement. My first deer was shot straight through the lungs and a shoulder blade with a .270 Winchester, and STILL ran a little ways. With any hunting weapon, know the limitations, and know how to shoot it accurately, and you'll be able to take the animal humanely, whether a .22 Short, a .30-06, or a .458 Win Mag. I knew a guy once who shot deer with a .22 short ALL THE TIME and dropped every one of them in their tracks with it.
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk