Author Topic: MOA Explained. Great Video. Breaks It Down To Get On Target  (Read 7565 times)

Timothy

Re: MOA Explained. Great Video. Breaks It Down To Get On Target
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 06:13:23 AM »
Most everyone with a gun knows 1 MOA is ~1 inch at 100 yards but if I was explaining it I'd just say that a MOA is 1/60 of a degree and a second of angle is 1/60 of a minute. End of story.

True Frank but, I was explaining that to an engineer I work with and got a blank stare out of him!

In order to get his degree, he had to take calculus for goodness sake but high school geometry/trigonometry must have been a class he stumbled through.

tombogan03884

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 10:39:17 AM »
True Frank but, I was explaining that to an engineer I work with and got a blank stare out of him!

In order to get his degree, he had to take calculus for goodness sake but high school geometry/trigonometry must have been a class he stumbled through.

Typical of to many of the engineers I have worked with, years of college , yet they are challenged by things like clocks and compasses.   ::)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 10:56:26 AM »
I get blank stares out of a lot of 'seasoned' shooters when discussing MOA.
Like Jumbo said, most recognize the 1"=1 MOA concept, but when it comes to the actual calculations and application for the sake of scope adjustments they seem to veer off course and treat it like voodoo. Most I've encountered seem to loose it at the "two lines emanating from a single point on an ever-widening-but-consistent angle" thing. Believe it or not, a simple grade school protractor helped me explain it better to them than anything else.
I wish I'd had this video then.  ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 10:35:01 PM »
I find I am the only shooter that brings a 3x5 spiral notecard to the rifle range....Nothing fancy, nothing special, just weather, wind, and POI. Any corrections are noted, as it's only a 100 yd range. However,...the vid didn't cover windage, but the lesson of MOA makes sense and is certainly a plus. 

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 09:39:24 PM »
I find I am the only shooter that brings a 3x5 spiral notecard to the rifle range....Nothing fancy, nothing special, just weather, wind, and POI.

You're not alone....except for the other guys I see using chonos, NOBODY seems to keep shooting notes.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:33:25 PM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 11:37:38 PM »
Guilty! :-[ Thing is, I don't really "need to". 4" at 200 yards is good enough. Still, I know my rifle can do a whole lot more. It makes me wish I'd gotten the mil dot reticle with my scope (it would have set me back a whole fifty bucks :P). It would be worthwhile going and playing at moving groups up and down, even though I am stuck at 100 yards. Damn, another money waster. Damn you TW! ;D
FQ13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk