Author Topic: 303 id  (Read 13390 times)

Jrlobo

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 303 id
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 01:04:39 PM »
+1
Lobo

"Often in error, never in doubt!"

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 03:23:04 PM »
Coming to your place to make empty brass  ;D
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

lhprop1

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 11:14:13 PM »
The wife was sick and I had to take care of junior this weekend so I couldn't make it to the range.  I'm planning to head out on Wed with my buddy who sold me the ammo.  We're also going to get to try out his new M14 and Garand. 

I'll make sure to post a full range report. 
Bravery and stupidity are often synonymous.  So are cowardice and intelligence.

"We Americans have been a rebellious band of freedom loving vagabonds from the very beginning. Our freedom from the crown and tyranny would not exist had it not been for the gun. That's a tradition we like to hold on to.  The same can't be said for the rest of you 'Subjects of the Queen'."--said to a Canadian friend who just doesn't get it.

lhprop1

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 09:37:49 AM »
THey will be corrosive.  so clean the barrel out with water/windex.  Then dry it out.   do it asap.

What is the best way to do this?  I've never used corrosive ammo before.  Do I mix windex and water or do I spray one then the other?  Should I try and do it right at the range or is it ok if I wait until I get home about 30 min later?

"We Americans have been a rebellious band of freedom loving vagabonds from the very beginning. Our freedom from the crown and tyranny would not exist had it not been for the gun. That's a tradition we like to hold on to.  The same can't be said for the rest of you 'Subjects of the Queen'."--said to a Canadian friend who just doesn't get it.

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 10:34:53 AM »
The way I was taught was - -

1. Spray douche the chamber until it runs out the barrel. (Windex is cheap, I used a lot - store brand is even cheaper)
2. Run a dry patch down the bore.
3. Repeat steps 1 & 2
4. Blast some WD40 in to help get rid of the water Windex has in it. (WD40 is cheap, I used a lot) 
5. Dry patch again, wet WD40 patch down bore for ride home.

6. Take her home and clean as usual.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:33:34 AM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 10:49:33 AM »
The box of truth has some good cleaning info
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

lhprop1

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 09:24:30 AM »
50 rounds, 50 bangs, and 50 holes in the paper.  At 46 yards (max at the indoor range) 46 of the 50 hit the 8" target.  Not bad for 57 year old ammo through a 72 year old rifle.  Also not bad for a mediocre shooter with iron sights.    

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 10:12:25 AM »
What you've just experienced is why the Russians still use corrosive priming in most all of their ammo. They are all but fanatical about having ammunition that will last through long term storage. Mercuric Priming will outlast standard, non corrosive primers by a long time. That is not to say modern non corrosive primers used by our military won't last. They will, just not as long. Also they, (Mercuric Primers), are not as effected by temperature and humidity changes.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 12:20:20 PM »
I thought I would post this since we are talking about shooting corrosive ammo. I made up this little cleaner that works like a champ for cleaning out a barrel after shooting corrosive ammunition at the range. All it consists of is an alcohol dispenser that can be bought from from any well stocked hardware store or Home Depot, (Look in the Paint Dept.). Some clear neoprene hose, and a fired case of the caliber of your choice, and a piece of 1/4" brass tubing.

You'll need a #7 drill along with a 1/4-20 die as well. You can buy a Tap & Die set from Harbor Freight if you need to very inexpensively. I used a steel 7.62 X 54 MM Russian case, but brass will drill and tap easier. You can hold the case in a pair of vise grips if you don't have access to a small bench lathe. It helps to deprime the case if it is boxer primed.

Drill out the primer pocket with the #7 drill, then tap it 1/4-20 through. Take a small piece of 1/4" brass or copper tubing and run a 1/4-20 die over it about 3/8" or so down. The copper 1/4" tubing that comes with refrigerator ice maker kits works well too, if you have an extra piece laying around. Thread the brass or copper nipple you just made into the tapped primer hole, connect the neoprene tubing to the bottle and brass nipple and that's it. You can fill it with Windex, Simple Green, or just plain water.

I put a small O-Ring over the case neck and slid it down to the shoulder of the fired case so it makes a leak proof seal in the chamber. Remove your bolt, slip the case into the chamber, and with the muzzle pointed down, squirt the cleaning fluid of your choice down the bore and it will wash out all of the corrosive salts from your barrel until you get around to doing a more through cleaning when you get home from the range. I used some 5 minute epoxy to seal the threads on the nipple and case. I also have one of these cases made up for 7.62 X 39 MM for when I shoot corrosive ammo out of my AK's. It really works well and doesn't make a mess. If you want to get fancy you can take a tubing bender and make a 90 degree bend in the nipple, and it will be easier to insert into the short bolt actions some of these CZ 7.62 X 39 bolt guns come with. The photos may show the case and bottle slightly distorted because I cropped them.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 05:22:51 PM »
Great idea!!!!!

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk