Author Topic: Scope Adjustments - are they really necessary?  (Read 13162 times)

Badgersmilk

Re: Scope Adjustments - are they really necessary?
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 11:37:15 AM »
MY GOOF!  Thanks for catching that!

I think somebody hit that one on the head early on in the thread...

I've got "big knobs" on a bolt gun I like A LOT.  I can "adjust by feel" without moving my hold.

If you've adjusted for range, are on target and your spotter tells you (or you just want to) to compensate a click for thermal, or wind changes, half a dozen other things, its critical to not have to change your focus and position, but just reach up and give'em a "click".  Same senario is why scopes with target turrets have such prominant "clicks", and many handgun scopes dont even have clicks at all.

The much needed standard disclaimer though:  To many people on this site "know" everything though.  And only reply if they see an oportunity to show off.  So before they point it out...  What I said is ALL WRONG!

SwoopSJ

• November 12, 1978 - November 2, 2011
  • DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Love thy neighbor.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 12:51:48 PM »
The much needed standard disclaimer though:  To many people on this site "know" everything though.  And only reply if they see an oportunity to show off.  So before they point it out...  What I said is ALL WRONG!

Man, I guess someone here has previously ruffled your feathers.  Most people on this sight are good humored and don't intend to cause any hurt feelings.  I was taught, however, that if you go out looking for a fight you're sure to find one.  Peace.

Swoop

"...to preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..."  --Richard H. Lee

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 05:14:08 PM »
Nothing wrong with big knobs.  Nothing wrong with resettable large lettered knobs.  If I were "target" shooting, or shooting at casual targets, that's what I want....uh, that's what I have.  The question was about mixing, mil-dot with target faucits knobs.  I guess I should have made the "subject line" a little more precise.

Okay, show of hands.  IHMSA shooters, how many of you have ever forgot to reset your sights when changing positions?   Be truthful.    I can't be the only one who got off the ram line shooting standing and went to shoot chickens in production and forgot to crank the sights back down.     One of the reasons for going with mil-dot is you don't change the zero.  AND you don't forget to change those settings back.   It's always at a known zero.    Hence the original, albeit poorly stated question.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 12:23:32 AM »
Mil-dots are for ranging.
If they happen to fit your ballistics for using as holdover, (which is going to change with elevation, temp, etc.) great.
But the dots are for ranging.

Besides, if Nightforce didn't want me to be able to dial in the correct settings, they would have put caps on them!  :P
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 05:36:51 AM »
Besides, if Nightforce didn't want me to be able to dial in the correct settings, they would have put caps on them!  :P

LOL.   Duh, silly me to question the manufacturers logic. 
Will work for ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 03:51:59 PM »

Badgersmilk

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 06:58:42 AM »
While you can use them for about anything you wish...  And reading many manuals it seems they HAVE been used for about anything people wish...  Kmitch200 is right.

"The USMC was the first U.S. military service to in corporate a mil dot reticle in sniper optics by having it installed by J.
Unertl for use on the M40 sniper weapons system. When the Army decided to incorporate a range estimation tool into it
sniper optics it chose this system and had Leupold make the reticle accordingly."

http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/articles/DA%202005.12MH.pdf

Badgersmilk

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 07:29:35 AM »
http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/m24A3sws.htm

In .338 with a silencer...  Excuse my drool!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 09:21:07 PM »

OPS INC 12th Model 338 LM Muzzle Break and Sound Suppressor. Muzzle B-R-E-A-K?  ???
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 09:24:51 PM »

"silencer"?  Never "heard" of one. ;)

How about "suppressor"?
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2009, 09:36:10 PM »
"silencer"?  Never "heard" of one. ;)

Sure you have.   You attach it with a clip.

Alf
[Also drooling over the M24 with the "thingy" attached]
Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk