Author Topic: Political Figures for Commencement Speakers  (Read 57 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 889
Political Figures for Commencement Speakers
« on: Yesterday at 11:14:29 PM »
We have all seen it. Public or political speakers for commencement. It is always a crap shoot as to what will happen. Sadly, too many politicians think that commencement is a perfect place for political agendas and/or campaign speaches.

This morning, yes Sunday morning, Pres. Biden was the speaker at Moorehouse University. It became a topic in the news, because while outside agitators were protesting, when the President stepped up some graduates and faculty silently turned their backs on him. Because of this the media has been all over it, but what isn't being reported is the content of his speech. He rambles on and on and on about his loan forgiveness, about the war in the Middle East, ...

People are complaining about a speech at a private Catholic university where the speaker discussed Catholic values being followed as graduates moved into the real world and private life. But I am hearing no outcry concerning a politician giving a campaign/agenda speech to a graduating class.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
Re: Political Figures for Commencement Speakers
« Reply #1 on: Today at 10:16:23 AM »
Didn't one of the Kelce brothers down a beer as part of his speech?

I saw some interviews locally with a few of the Moorehouse students who were not pleased with Biden being their commencement speaker.  They stated, and I believe, that the the only reason he was coming was to garner black votes.  (confirmation bias I know.)  The students felt like Biden was just using them, not that he cared.  The students said they would have picked a speaker... well to put a fine point on it... more like themselves.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:08:13 PM »
First it's Morehouse College - one "O" and it's a college. And yes, I am a grammar Nazi, deal with it!

Second, to the OP, I know Morehouse Men who are less than pleased about Creepy Uncle Joe speaking there, and not because of the "Gaza genocide", but because of the increased damage FJB is doing to the black community in general, and black men specifically.

OTOH, the protests and the back-turning are good signals to the dems that ol' Joe has to go. I seriously doubt he will be on the ballot in November. OTOH, he may be and may receive 100 million votes this time around. Who knows?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 889
« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:30:41 PM »
Didn't one of the Kelce brothers down a beer as part of his speech?

Travis Kelce finally graduates from college with brother Jason - TODAY
Apr 12, 2024The NFL star and his brother, a former teammate, picked up their diplomas in a surprise ceremony hosted by the university president. Travis Kelce chugged a beer after receiving his interdisciplinary studies degree, while Jason Kelce completed his marketing degree.

This was at the University of Cincinnati. I can't find it now, but I read somewhere that Travis had been suspended, and that is why he never finished. Recently, both finished their credit hours.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk