Author Topic: The Home Defense Bullet  (Read 6047 times)

Grasshoppa

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Home Defense Bullet
« on: June 03, 2013, 12:54:30 AM »
I have re-chambered the same round through my home defense firearm many times over and I am beginning to worry about the safety of doing so. Currently, I have set it aside and replaced it with a fresh round, but I would hate to waste precious JHP this way. I need to just get a gun safe rather than locking it with a cable, but my question is how many times can a round be chambered before it becomes a danger? Suggestions, comments, knowledge?
FYI: This is a Sig Sauer 9mm with Federal Premium JHP

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: The Home Defense Bullet
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 01:28:27 AM »
DO you have anyway to accuratly measure the length?   some times the bullet gets pushed into the shell deeper, which could lead to higher presures.  Which might be dangerous.   measure several rounds and compare to the chamber round.    I don't know at what point it would be bad.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Red-Ryder

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 05:47:53 AM »
Easy way is to place 2 "fresh" rounds on either side of your "defense round " the use a known straightedge across all 3. With the defense round in the middle - any noticeable "shortness" will be evident

Or go to your local tool center and purchase an inexpensive caliper

Please join the NRA ,
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JLawson

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 06:31:11 AM »
A Google for "bullet setback" led to this post on THR:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-563006.html

Waywatcher did a little experiment and posted his measurements.  If you review several of the search results you'll find many different ideas and tips.  In my "normal way of doin' things", a defensive round usually doesn't get re-chambered more than 3 or 4 times before being used at the range.  I'm NOT saying that 3 or 4 times is the limit... just that my practice routine works out that way.

Grasshoppa

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 11:23:11 PM »
Never thought about the actual bullet being pushed in to the cartridge, good point and I will be sure to check that out. What caused my concern was the scratches on the casing from the feed ramp. I don't think there is a spot on the casing that isn't scratched. I used to be in the habit of chambering a round when I got home. Then before leaving the next morning I would make the firearm safe, replacing the cartridge into the magazine and using a cable lock on the firearm. When I got home again I would re-chamber the round and repeat. I guess my original question could better be summed up as: how well will the casing hold up to being re-chambered everyday?
You all still raise a great point that again I never thought of, thank you for the valuable information.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:15:19 AM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 12:31:51 AM »
Lord, I never even thought about this. I "cock and lock" when I go out, and leave the Glock with a loaded mag and empty chamber at night and never thought twice about it. (Though in my defense I've never had an issue shooting carry ammo on the range either). Still, its something to think about.

JoeG

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 12:46:51 AM »
In theory you could have problems with extraction during firing if the rim is too dinged up. I would take it to the range and blow the cobwebs out. :)
“You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world, it’s going to be bad.” Gen. James Mattis

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 01:24:11 AM »
Never thought about the actual bullet being pushed in to the cartridge, good point and I will be sure to check that out.

Depends on how you chamber the round.
Letting the slide slam the round in from the mag is the most sure way of making certain the round is chambered fully. DON'T drop the round in the chamber then slam the extractor over the rim, it's supposed to slide under it.

Or you could do it like I do, ride the slide down slowly and MAKE SURE it seats fully into battery.
Saves on scratches and no bullet setback.   
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 02:22:38 AM »
you could do that, but on both my 2 main carry guns( both 1911s)  you would have to wrap the slide to get it into battery.    I just rip it back and let it go. 
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Paraguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 07:46:19 AM »
Looks like a good excuse to get that revolver you have always wanted; your issue is a non-issue with a revolver;-)
Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk