Author Topic: The new 10/22  (Read 16374 times)

Badgersmilk

The new 10/22
« on: October 04, 2009, 07:15:32 AM »
Ruined, or Improved?

I just watched Guns & Ammo tv do a demonstration at the Ruger assembly plant.  They dropped a 4.5 pound weight about 3' onto an old aluminum 10/22 trigger guard and cracked it at the thinnest point of the hoop that would go around you finger.  They then dropped the weight on a new polymer guard and it bounced back into shape.

I'm thinking the things the consumer will be looking at would be.  

Plastic is more impact resistant.  

Plastic will be more likely to warp, & change size from temperature.  Resulting in possible bind, change in trigger pull characteristics, FTF.

Plastic looks & feels far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far cheaper, worse.  (opinion)

So following Remington's foot steps with plastic housing a good move for Ruger?  

tombogan03884

Re: The new 10/22
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 10:10:35 AM »
Actually BM, Modern plastics  can be engineered to be either more or less sensitive to temperature depending on the purpose.
The reason "Tactical" rifle stocks are made of plastic , fiberglass, or Kevlar is because the are unaffected by temp and humidity.
Impact resistance is the same thing, it can be engineered depending on application.
All that being said, while I would not consider the trigger guard an "important" part I prefer steel gun parts.
Might be a machinists prejudice  ;D

Badgersmilk

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 12:13:03 PM »
It'll be intersting to see if the plastic Ruger chose stands the test of time as well as aluminum has.

In the case of the 10/22 the housing / guard is holding all the trigger parts themselves in alignment with each other, as well as the plunger holding the magazine.  If they used a polymer similar to that of Glock's frame material...  I don't see future problems.  Big IF though.

Remington 870 "police", and "wingmaster" shotguns have metal trigger guards.  "Lower grade" civilian express models have plastic.  :-\

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 03:01:06 AM »
*cough* cheaper  * cough*

The fact that it is more impact resistant has nothing to do with it.

I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

seeker_two

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 04:49:27 AM »
If Ruger is using the same polymer as is in the P95, I wouldn't worry about it much. The big weaknesses with firearm-grade polymers are solvents and UV light. Be careful with what you clean with, and you should be OK.

That said....I wonder about the UV issue....is there anything to enhance the UV protection?
Why, yes....I'm the right-wing extremist Obama warned you about... ;D

I just wish Texas was as free and independent as everyone thinks it is...   :'(

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:58:18 AM »

Steyr M40A1

• Top Forum Member
  • Steyr MxA1 Series Pistols
    • My pistol picts
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 06:48:24 AM »
If Ruger is using the same polymer as is in the P95, I wouldn't worry about it much. The big weaknesses with firearm-grade polymers are solvents and UV light. Be careful with what you clean with, and you should be OK.

That said....I wonder about the UV issue....is there anything to enhance the UV protection?

Duracoat
Richard Cook

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch" -Babj615 Steyrclub.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb." Benjamin Franklin

Badgersmilk

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 07:55:57 AM »
Armorall  ;D

If I were put into a position to have to buy a 10/22 with the platic, I've already got an aluminum trigger housing that'd QUICKLY be put in place!  I bought a complete trigger assembly on Ebay a long time ago (about $15) so I could switch in one set at crisp 3 pounds for my daughter.  That way she can take either of the guns and have a "safer" trigger than the ones I use set just over a pound. 

I've never yet run into a circumstance where my trigger guard needed to support my body weight or anything, and the plastic just looks dirt cheap and feels terrible IMO. :(

I think they've taken a big step at ruining a fine weapon that'd become an American classic.  :(  It's a shame, and I dont think Bill Ruger would have approved.

Cheap plasticy products.  A sign of our times.  :(

Jkwas

• Very Active Forum Member
    • Jkwas
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 07:51:04 PM »
I was hesitant at first to purchase a new 10/22 with the nylon trigger guard/group until I saw the Guns and Ammo's story on the durability (drop test) and the cold test (placed in the snow under a truck tire).  Then I read the article in American Rifleman about the Remington Nylon 66  http://www.chuckhawks.com/rem_nylon_rifles.htm    and realized many of the guns being produced today have plastic trigger guards and other main components. 
I've had my eye on an all-weather stainless steel carbine for my collection and  took the plunge.  I purchased it last week and took it shooting tuesday.  It shoots great and I think there is something to be said for the self lubricating properties of polymer.
 A co worker of mine was telling me how he wished he still had his nylon 66 and was sorry he traded it for a shotgun.  He had it for many years and gave him good service.  Now if polymer was that good then, imagine how much better it is now?  If it also can be produced at less expense and allows the product to be sold at a better price making it easier to own, so much the better. It really doesn't scare me anymore.
 Remember the Graduate?   "One word: Plastics"

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 08:04:28 PM »
Back in the 70's I saw a 440 Police Interceptor engine torn apart, The timing gear was Nylon.
I wouldn't worry about a plastic trigger guard.
Besides, if it Does break you can fix it with Super Glue, Aluminum ones are castings and you can't even weld them and be sure they will hold.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 07:55:16 PM »
Back in the 70's I saw a 440 Police Interceptor engine torn apart, The timing gear was Nylon.
I wouldn't worry about a plastic trigger guard.
Besides, if it Does break you can fix it with Super Glue, Aluminum ones are castings and you can't even weld them and be sure they will hold.

You based your faith on nylon timing gears  :o  I've made a lot of money both selling new gears and chains, and even doing the work to replace them.  I do however think that these new gun parts are better both in material and in application.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk