Author Topic: FAL Questions  (Read 7258 times)

NoFE02

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
FAL Questions
« on: November 22, 2007, 02:46:08 PM »
Do have a FAL, entreprise receiver, barrell not too bad and it shoots OK, about 2-3moa.  Looking at some of warhawke's DSA recommendations on the "real battle rifle" thread, I guess there's some pretty cool parts out there that I'd not considered.  Question for the FAL guys,  a scope mount's 125 + a Hampton lower's  200. Would it make sense to spend 325 on a parts gun or not?

warhawke

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: FAL Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 03:44:49 PM »
Do have a FAL, entreprise receiver, barrell not too bad and it shoots OK, about 2-3moa.  Looking at some of warhawke's DSA recommendations on the "real battle rifle" thread, I guess there's some pretty cool parts out there that I'd not considered.  Question for the FAL guys,  a scope mount's 125 + a Hampton lower's  200. Would it make sense to spend 325 on a parts gun or not?

I would find a good FN 'smith and have it checked over top to bottom. Unfortunately the gun-plumber will not work on Enterprise guns or I would send you there. If everything checks out I would go for it, other wise I would bust my hump to get a DSA with the mods.
"Una salus victus nullam sperare salutem"
(The one hope of the doomed is not to hope for safety)
Virgil

warhawke

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 05:06:50 PM »
I emailed DSA on this very subject not log ago, and received this response;

Hello Patrick,

All of our rifles are custom built and currently we have about an 18
week delivery time, from date of order.

NO carry handle: No Charge
18" barrel (full length gas system) :No Charge
Quick release gas plug : No Charge
STG58 flashhider (or similar): No Charge
A2 Hampton lower: $70.00 Upgrade
L1A1 Safety (or similar): $16.95 Upgrade
L1A1 Mag release: We do not offer an L1A1 mag release: Ours are Israeli
Pattern.
Sand-cut blot carrier: You can not do a forward assist with a sand cut
carrier
Forward Asst. charging handle: $60.00 upgrade for all parts and labor.
Stripper clip extreme duty scope mount: $89.95 upgrade
Flat OD DuraCoat: $300 Upgrade

MSRP on an 18" fixed stock rifle would be $ $1595 + the upgrades listed
above.

The rifle will eat any surplus or commercial ammo from 110 to 168
grains.

We do not offer a volume discount on mags, and dura coat on each
magazine is a $20 upgrade.

Thanks for your interests!

Best Wishes,

DSA

The two things I don't get are;
Why no forwards asst./Sand cut bolt carriers? Couldn't they just modify the carrier to accept the F/A charging handle or even put sand-cuts in a standard carrier?
Why no L1A1 mag release? They list it as available.

I will ask them if I get up the 2 grand for the weapon, which might take a while. As for the mod's themselves, I guess I will explane for those who are not as familiar with the FN or the SHTF type of system I prefer.

No carry handle. If you don't have the weapon on a sling it should be in your hands ready to fire, carry handles are a waste and the FN handle tends to get loose and floppy over time which is a bad thing.

The 18" barrel is a compromise, the 20" is a shade too long for urban terrain or CQB but gives better long range performance, while the 16" is better for them but has some problems with accuracy. Mostly it is personal preference though, the 18" version seems to balance better than the 20" or the 16". The 7.62 NATO was also optimized for an 18" barrel as I understand. I also like the full length gas system as the spare parts are standard.

The quick release gas plug is just for ease of maintenance.

The STG58 flash suppressor is good for it's job AND is an emergency wire cutter (put the wire in the slots and pull the trigger)

The A2 Hampton lower uses the M-16A2 rear sight which is one of the best ever invented, while the standard FN rear sucks for any kind of fine shooting.

The L1A1 safety is larger and much easier to use.

The L1A1 mag release also large and easy to use.

The sand-cut bolt carrier significantly improves reliability in sandy/dusty environments over the standard carrier.

The forward assist charging handle is designed to allow you to push the handle in and force the bolt-carrier open or closed. This can be very important with bad ammo or if the weapon is very dirty. I would prefer the handle attached to the carrier, but you can't do that with the FN.

The stripper-clip scope mount top cover is a little weird for most people because it opens the action up more for dirt and debris to enter. However, in a SHTF scenario you would not be packing a dozen magazines all the time. You are better off carrying a few mags (6 in a chest pouch for me) and a few hundred rounds on strippers. By having the stripper-clip cover you can reload your weapon right from the strippers, or reload the mags quickly without a separate clip guide, which can get lost or damaged. While the D&D issue can be a problem I think the advantage of this mount outweighs the problem, though if I lived in a really sandy/dusty I might feel differently, but here in the frozen north, I don't see a problem. Also, while I'm not big on optics for a SHTF weapon, this mount will let me add a combat optic if I decide to do so.

Lastly is the DuraCoat, which is a great coating for reducing corrosion problems and visual signature. FYI, black weapons can be spotted more quickly in the field than most people imagine. Plus, a solid green, O.D., or Dark Earth (AKA, baby sh** yellow) can be camouflaged with a little spray paint, where a full camo scheme can be a liability if you find yourself in a different area. I would like the mags DuraCoated but I would do it myself rather than pop for $2000 to coat 50 mags.

I hope this helps.     
Virgil

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 07:10:36 PM »
Even though you have an Entreprise receiver, you should be good to go.  I have been looking at getting the Hampton lower myself, but I am still on the fence about the scope top cover.

If the FAL platform works for you, and is what you prefer, then I say go for it.

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

Artful

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 02:59:14 AM »

L1A1 Mag release: We do not offer an L1A1 mag release: Ours are Israeli
Pattern.
Sand-cut blot carrier: You can not do a forward assist with a sand cut
carrier
Forward Asst. charging handle: $60.00 upgrade for all parts and labor.

The two things I don't get are;
Why no forwards asst./Sand cut bolt carriers? Couldn't they just modify the carrier to accept the F/A charging handle or even put sand-cuts in a standard carrier?
Why no L1A1 mag release? They list it as available.

I will ask them if I get up the 2 grand for the weapon, which might take a while. As for the mod's themselves, I guess I will explane for those who are not as familiar with the FN or the SHTF type of system I prefer.

The L1A1 mag release also large and easy to use.

The sand-cut bolt carrier significantly improves reliability in sandy/dusty environments over the standard carrier.

The forward assist charging handle is designed to allow you to push the handle in and force the bolt-carrier open or closed. This can be very important with bad ammo or if the weapon is very dirty. I would prefer the handle attached to the carrier, but you can't do that with the FN.

The stripper-clip scope mount top cover is a little weird for most people because it opens the action up more for dirt and debris to enter. However, in a SHTF scenario you would not be packing a dozen magazines all the time. You are better off carrying a few mags (6 in a chest pouch for me) and a few hundred rounds on strippers. By having the stripper-clip cover you can reload your weapon right from the strippers, or reload the mags quickly without a separate clip guide, which can get lost or damaged. While the D&D issue can be a problem I think the advantage of this mount outweighs the problem, though if I lived in a really sandy/dusty I might feel differently, but here in the frozen north, I don't see a problem. Also, while I'm not big on optics for a SHTF weapon, this mount will let me add a combat optic if I decide to do so.

Ok, new here but I've built several FAL's and for what it's worth here's what I know about this...

Izzy release doesn't require modification to put in Metric lower, L1A1 does require modfication - so DSA is just sidestepping a problem - Gun Plumber (Mark Grahm) did have FSA extended magazine release which I prefered on my 3-gun FAL over standard Metric mag release.

Izzy Bolt carriers are cut differently than L1A1 sand cut receivers - Carriers are some tough steel so DSA is again sidestepping a problem - if you want carrier that works with forward assist get Izzy carrier. Having said that it's like M16/AR15 system - you are better off ejecting a problem round than trying to force it into the chamber IMHO - You don't have much primary extraction on FAL or M16 with the handles.

I personally like option of Railed top covers, works for scopes, red-dots and you can mount a different rear BUIS (backup iron sight) if you so desire. As to carrying ammo in stripper clips - look for some Aluminum Para Mag's - 20 round on strippers vs 20 round in Para mag and just having to pop it in - I'll go Para instread of strippers anyday. And if you insist on strippers (yes, I have some set up that way) just put the stripper clip loader on your bandolerra with a string and safety pin so it can't be left behind.

My .02 - yours free - you get what you pay for.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:52:27 PM »

warhawke

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 11:22:38 AM »
you are better off ejecting a problem round than trying to force it into the chamber IMHO

The issue here is the rat-tail, if the bolt does not go forward you cannot crack an FN open for repair. I've seen this twice and have heard about it several other times, otherwise I would agree with you on this point. I don't want the Izzy carrier because it doesn't have sand cuts, the Israelis might have liked the FN better if they had.

As far as the strippers, once again I don't want to carry a guide which can get lost. This is simply a matter of personal preference and I wouldn't disagree with anyone who felt differently.

Also, there are no BUIS on my weapons, the iron sights are the primary sights. I am a survivalist and as such I want things as unbreakable as humanly possible, optical sights are just not there yet (although they are moving in that direction). Also, I cannot afford the best combat optics available and I refuse to spend money on so-so optics, "Buy cheap, buy twice" as they say. I would rather buy more ammo and practice more, especially stuff like low-light shooting. Once again, if you feel differently and can afford the best optics then by all means do so.
Virgil

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk