Author Topic: Errors in the show  (Read 6111 times)

sjansen

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Errors in the show
« on: April 22, 2011, 07:34:37 PM »
One of the guys on the show said that you could shoot through a car but it was good cover because they couldn't see you. If they can shoot you, that is called concealment, not cover.

Also, If someone grabs my arm, I would never devote both my arms to get rid of grab. The medial nerve is not that exposed and you will never, and I mean never, debilitate a grab by doing what was stated. Adrenilin will negate the pain and the technique will never work. Why didn't he just turn his wrist?  In fact, the best practical hope for the technique shown is that they knock you out with their left hand instead of stab or shoot you with it since you left it wide open.

Don't tell people what will get them killed. You definatey did this week.

kilopaparomeo

• Top Forum Member
  • My own private purgatory...
  • Liked:
Re: Errors in the show
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 08:11:38 PM »
Heck of a way to introduce yourself!
NRA Endowment Life Member
SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
Ultima Ratio Civis - "The last method of a citizen"

BAC

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 08:25:14 PM »
Heck of a way to introduce yourself!

What he said.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 06:55:10 AM »
Guys, be nice to the newby!

Hansen, do you have any sources to back up what you're saying?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 08:32:23 AM »
Come on strong, Sjansen.

I thought the part about medical nerve was rather weak, but only from a standpoint of it won't work every time, with every body build, and it takes too much specialize training.   If the guy is grabbing you with one hand, what's he doing with the other.

I liked the show in that we were shown a plethora of experts which was fun.  It was intended, I think, to give you a taste of what it would have been like to attend the conference.

What I see more and more is that the skills and techniques, and equipment, on SOME of the gun shows are for "operators", soldiers and other in war zones,  and for  LEOs doing forced entry.   If I'm a wanna-be "operator" well yes I'll eat all this up.   But for us regular guys and gals carrying out regular jobs, the practical side to some of this material is rather mute.

Don't get me wrong.  Fun to watch.  Interesting to know about some of the equipment.  I liked seeing the innovations.  Just don't hold out those scenarios as ones I'm likely to run into, or those particular training exercises as ones I need to be proficient.

Shooting Gallery does a good mix.   Some shows are just for fun.  Some are event documentaries.  Some are about "operators" and others cover the practical side for the everyday gun owner/user.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:28:11 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 10:17:31 AM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 01:26:34 PM »
One of the guys on the show said that you could shoot through a car but it was good cover because they couldn't see you. If they can shoot you, that is called concealment, not cover.

Also, If someone grabs my arm, I would never devote both my arms to get rid of grab. The medial nerve is not that exposed and you will never, and I mean never, debilitate a grab by doing what was stated. Adrenilin will negate the pain and the technique will never work. Why didn't he just turn his wrist?  In fact, the best practical hope for the technique shown is that they knock you out with their left hand instead of stab or shoot you with it since you left it wide open.

Don't tell people what will get them killed. You definatey did this week.

While the wording may have been off, which happens, my take after watching the episode twice is that he delivered the message that it was not good cover, but it was better than nothing because it allowed you to shoot from a covered area where the bad guy may not be able to tell where the shots are coming from.

I will let Marshal, MB, MJ and RP get into the details of what goes into allowing professionals to use their own terms vs. sanitizing the language.  This happens in many shows where pro shooters miss use the word clip.  I'll have to pay attention next time this episode comes around, but I didn't take it as telling us that a non engine area of the car was good cover, and I am not trained in MJ's area, so I am not going to ignore all they say.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

seeker_two

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 02:53:14 PM »

My favorite commercial for my favorite show.....  ;D
Why, yes....I'm the right-wing extremist Obama warned you about... ;D

I just wish Texas was as free and independent as everyone thinks it is...   :'(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk