Author Topic: 1 1/4 inch Tri-Glide, Steel, Mil-Spec MIL-L-3851 for slings  (Read 179 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
1 1/4 inch Tri-Glide, Steel, Mil-Spec MIL-L-3851 for slings
« on: December 21, 2023, 03:20:31 PM »
I have one padded web sling and two plain web slings that have the old type Q/R sling swivels sewn onto them, like in this picture I found of a sling on Amazon. I want to put new push-button QD studs on them to go into QD sockets on my guns that have them, but adapting then to work is clumsy at best. GrovTec, whose QD swivels I really like, makes the Swivel Stud Multi-Adaptor Set - GTSW299. I could use to fit one of these slings to an existing set of QD sockets, and not use the socket half. But they don't have the push button capability of a QD sling swivels. If you're hanging by your neck, or have some other reason you want to detach your sling quickly, you need the push buttons. That's why the military started switching to QD swivels in the first place.

Well, I finally found what I was looking for to solve my problem of not wanting to connect this to that to the other, or to adapt things in a jury-rigged looking fashion. AAH, American Home & Habitat Inc. of Sealy, TX sells 1 1/4 inch Tri-Glide, Steel, Mil-Spec MIL-L-3851, MS51940-4S, A-A-55620 made for 1 1/4 inch (32mm) webbing straps. Well, ain't THAT a mouthful? These are exactly what I wanted, G.I. sling keepers like we had on M16s and m60s when I was in the army. I ordered a package of 10 for $15.00, twice as many as I need. The postage cost nearly as much but it's still a bargain at $5.75 per pair. I just need to rip the stitching to remove the old sling swivels, replace them with QD swivels from GrovTec, and loop the ends together with the sling keepers, or tri-glides. I'll never get used to calling them that. I actually own a seam ripper, but more often than not just use a knife to carefully cut through threads. X-Acto knives work well on most things, within reason.

AAH sells all sorts of webbing and hardware including other Mil-Spec hardware you wouldn't expect to find ANYWHERE, like Duffel Bag Keeper, Mil-Spec MIL-B-829, Drawing Number 2-3-301 Steel Construction, Black Oxide finish. That's the part that goes through the 3 grommets on top the hook to fasten into. I'll take a hundred! ;D  They have all  sorts of grommets, and the tools for putting them into whatever material you have that needs grommets put into it. They have fabric, webbing, hardware and sewing tools up the wazoo, too. I'd hate to their wazoo.  :o  And if you need a custom size tarp made of OD waxed canvas, black ballistic nylon, Cordura, and a few other things in lots of colors, they've got you covered. I ordered my stuff and it seems like practically no time before I had a shipping number emailed to me. My dad had an OD green cotton duck tarp for decades. I don't know if it was waxed, but it was water repellent, heavy, and stiff. Speaking of heavy and stiff, there another site I need to visit, now.  ;D  JK, I can wait.  ;)

https://www.ahh.biz/hardware/military/tri-glides/tri-glides_steel_32mm_milspec.php
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
Re: 1 1/4 inch Tri-Glide, Steel, Mil-Spec MIL-L-3851 for slings
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2024, 11:44:24 PM »
I finally got a 8 more QD swivels yesterday and was able to put some of these to good use.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk