Author Topic: SCCY 2017  (Read 5418 times)

Texas_Bryan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: SCCY 2017
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 09:40:18 PM »
OK... not to be a wise ass... I dine out for every meal, leaving a minimum $2 tip....for an additional cost of a month's worth of tips you can pick up a Ruger LCP II with relative good sights,  pretty good trigger (not comfortable under recoil) from a reputable and well established company... YMMV

I've already got a Glock 42 and P220, now replace with the P320, for carry but I figured for $200 I could see what's what with this pistol.  A main drive with this for me as well is that I'm pushing a few brothers to get their LTC, and a pistol $100-$150 cheaper is a lot more money to them than it is to me, say for like a Ruger SR or American.

I figure if its good and does as well as anything else then I'd rather have that 11 rounds of 9mm.  But you're right, you can get an LCP for what, like $209 right now?  But also I'm thinking compact gun or pocket gun?  Least expensive compact gun I've seen.

RTFM

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life member 2015
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 10:18:19 AM »
Glad to see I'm not the only curious person out there - I was able to paw the model with the safety and did not like the lever it ground in to the top of my thumb - it was surprisingly round in the grip which I liked. 

I'll be keeping an eye out for one with out a safety - I have a feeling sooner or later I'll be getting an orange/black to play with.... just cuz'

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 04:51:10 PM »
I'm going to try to look at one this weekend.  Hopefully.........

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

RTFM

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life member 2015
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 06:50:36 PM »
Still looking at them but not as closely -

1. A SCCY was not rated to shoot +P ammo - while the older manual ~2015 stated TO NEVER fire +p - the 2017 users manual says:

WARNING
+P CARTRIDGES SHOULD ONLY BE USED ON A LIMITED BASIS
IN THE MODEL CPX.
This type of ammunition creates much higher chamber pressures than standard
ammunition. Never fire more than 50 rounds of +P ammunition per session

http://www.sccy.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/SCCY-Manual-8-2016_150web.pdf

(page 16)

2. This may assist with your decision on carrying the SCCY for CCW purpose.

Take a single round of ammo and the SCCY but leave the magazine in the range bag. Try to chamber/put slide in to battery you will not be able to fire it.

A SCCY needs to feed the cartridge from a magazine and there is no way around this SCCY characteristic. The shape of the extractor will not cam over the rim of a 9mm cartridge that is chambered. The only way for a extractor to grip the shell is to strip it from a magazine. So if a SCCY fails to extract a fired shell you will have to

a) Inset something down the barrel to dislodge the shell or
b) Use a fingernail, knife etc. to pry out the shell from the chamber with the slide locked back.

I carry a KAHR CW45 right now, if it has a FTE malfunction, I can tap, rack, assess remedial action because the extractor is designed to cam over the edge of the shell.

I spoke with Jason at SCCY and he said that is exactly how the CPX extractor is designed to operate.

I am less interested in this as a CCW carry gun now than I was before.
I will most likely still purchase one but will not carry it as they intend it to be carried.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk