Author Topic: Freedom under fire (CNN)  (Read 12759 times)

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Freedom under fire (CNN)
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2008, 06:21:11 AM »
Marshal, Thanks for posting part two.  Lou says he is going to pursue this with the NRA (where were they in this case) and The WI senators.  Please keep us informed and if you can, continue to post the relevant CNN videos.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2008, 08:33:16 AM »
There is something else here that bothers me besides the heavy handedness of the ATF.  The report says this was a jury trial.  Is it a simple majority that leads to a guilty verdict in cases like this?  Surely they couldn't have found twelve people that dimwitted and easily swayed by the prosecution's apparently baseless case.  P.T. Barnum was right and it looks like they manged to roundup a dozen of them for this jury.

CurrieS103

• NRA Life Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2008, 09:07:49 AM »
I'd like to know why the defense didn't explain how the MALFUNCTION occured and the known problems with Oly ARs?  Even the PT Barnum crowd in the jury box should have understood even a mildly dumbed down explination.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

pdgayle

• Master Plinker, Tincan shooter, and expert cogitator
  • Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2008, 09:11:10 AM »
Wisconsin is 1 of 2 states, the other being Illinois that are very gun unfriendly states, in fact the right to carry can be denied. My guess is he is meant to be some kind of object lesson to gun-owners by the politician's there. It also makes it look like they're being tough on crime, since it's much easier to go after lawful gun-owner than the real bad-guys. My guess is this wouldn't have even gone to trial in my home state (Texas). A really good web-site for anyone interested in how different states view our 2nd amendment Rights is http://www.moccw.org/map.html
If a .45 acp round won't bring'em down, may be you need to call for an airstrike.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2008, 09:13:08 AM »
I'd like to know why the defense didn't explain how the MALFUNCTION occured and the known problems with Oly ARs?  Even the PT Barnum crowd in the jury box should have understood even a mildly dumbed down explination.

I thought it said in the 2nd report that an expert did bring that to light.  

I think that the jury selection process was run in such a way that anyone with firearms knowledge was removed.  NOTE: I do not know that for sure it is just my speculation based on the facts of the case.  How could a reasonable person with firearms knowldge have convicted?
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 03:35:23 PM »

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2008, 09:24:29 AM »
Another comment:

This may not sit well with some but..The expert that the defense brought in (Lou Savage Historic Arms) has long hair and a beard.  He is just one of those guys that will look 'mafia' or 'radical' even in a suit (my opinion).  I will bet big money that the Fed was clean cut and 'normal' (or all American) looking.

I know that such things should not matter but they all too often do (look at the political races, the good looking one usually wins).

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 879
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2008, 09:58:01 AM »
When OJ got off (whether you agree or not) I tried to explain a basic fact to many:  I have sat three times on a jury (one sexual abuse and two DUI's), and it is not as black and white in person as it appears.  It is well choreographed by the attorneys, and the judge is full of all kinds of rules concerning what you and and can not consider.  There are also items that take place, and the press lets us all know about, but the jury is not even in the room when these things are being discussed.  And then there is the entire process that takes place in the jury room and the melding of everyone's view of what was presented.  I don't care how much media you follow, or if you go to court and watch, you don't know what it is like till you get one of them box seats and get to go to the special room to make your decision.

Just like voting, this is a privilege to participate in.  However, it is hardly a walk in the park or just a day off work.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Outlaw

• U.S.A.F. Retired/CCW
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2008, 10:43:02 AM »
Thanks for posting that Marshall. I assume you will keep up with it from this point on and post it accordingly.  Thought so! You Da Man.

Where's that beer I ordered? I waited all weekend for you and Michael to call. :(

I even worked out in preparation for your promise of an ass whuppin. Now I can hardly walk and hurt all over.  Thanks a lot! :P
Strategic Air Command Motto: Peace is Our Profession, Believe it or We'll Bomb the Hell Outta Ya!

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2008, 11:14:20 AM »
Here are some more reference links:

http://blogsearch.google.com/blogsearch?hl=en&q=David+Olofson&btnG=Search+Blogs

http://www.google.com/search?q=H.R.1791&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

http://blogsearch.google.com/blogsearch?hl=en&q=H.R.1791&btnG=Search+Blogs

I even worked out in preparation for your promise of an ass whuppin. Now I can hardly walk and hurt all over.  Thanks a lot! :P

Well, Marshal'ette told me that I was so out of shape that I couldn't whip myself out of a wet paper bag, so I jumped in and worked out all weekend too.. and by the time I was ready to come and lay it on you.. I was so sore and tired I couldn't get in the truck.
So lets call a truce..
I'll just bring a cooler of beer, you bring the chips and salsa, we both bring our guns, ammo, targets.
I'll leave Marshal'ette at home and we'll just have a hell of a good time.
Sound good to you?

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2008, 11:14:43 AM »

Actually, the way the laws are jerry-rigged these days, as someone once said, a good prosecutor can indict a ham sandwich. The reality is, that if a technical infraction of the law has occurred, it is pretty black and white, and an anti-gun judge can pretty much send the case where he/she wants it.

Besides, the American people have a tendency, much exploited these days by the various levels of gummint, to blindly obey the law, and believe the "law" protectors, that they will not apply any reasoning to the case, such as, "Should this case even have been brought to trial?".

Study up on the concept of jury nullification, and learn it!

It may come in handy some day. Judges hate anyone who knows of it, as it prevents them from controlling the process. There was even a study here in ND that "proved" there is no legal basis or right to nullification. No, no basis or right, only about 700 years of common law. But the legal (not justice) system does not want us amateurs meddling in their power base.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk