Author Topic: US Dept. Education SWAT team in action!  (Read 11108 times)

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
US Dept. Education SWAT team in action!
« on: June 08, 2011, 10:40:32 AM »

By way of TAM at Veiw From The Porch

STOCKTON, CA - Kenneth Wright does not have a criminal record and he had no reason to believe a S.W.A.T team would be breaking down his door at 6 a.m. on Tuesday.

"I look out of my window and I see 15 police officers," Wright said.

Wright came downstairs in his boxer shorts as a S.W.A.T team barged through his front door. Wright said an officer grabbed him by the neck and led him outside on his front lawn.

"He had his knee on my back and I had no idea why they were there," Wright said.

According to Wright, officers also woke his three young children ages 3, 7, and 11 and put them in a Stockton police patrol car with him. Officers then searched his house.

As it turned out, the person law enforcement was looking for was not there - Wright's estranged wife.

"They put me in handcuffs in that hot patrol car for six hours, traumatizing my kids," Wright said.

Wright said he later went to the mayor and Stockton Police Department, but the City of Stockton had nothing to do with Wright's search warrant.

The U.S. Department of Education issued the search and called in the S.W.A.T for his wife's defaulted student loans.

"They busted down my door for this," Wright said. "It wasn't even me."

According to the Department of Education's Office of the Inspector General, the case can't be discussed publicly until it is closed, but a spokesperson did confirm that the department did issue the search warrant at Wright's home.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 878
Re: US Dept. Education SWAT team in action!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 10:53:42 AM »
How does the Department of Education #1. Gain the power to obtain search warrants, and #2. Gain the power to call in a SWAT team for a raid? 

I know this is California, but the way Case Law works this opens the door for this stuff to happen anywhere in the nation until someone puts a stop to it.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 10:57:34 AM »
I'm calling BS on this. While I would like to think that the Department of Education doesn't have a SWAT team, every other federal agency does, so why not? The idea that they are sending goon squads to collect bad student debt? For heaven's sake they'd need an army of them. Mostly they just threaten to sue or garnish wages, or withhold licences, no MP5s required. ::)
FQ13

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 11:17:35 AM »
I'm calling BS on this. While I would like to think that the Department of Education doesn't have a SWAT team, every other federal agency does, so why not? The idea that they are sending goon squads to collect bad student debt? For heaven's sake they'd need an army of them. Mostly they just threaten to sue or garnish wages, or withhold licences, no MP5s required. ::)
FQ13

Oh my simple little friend, what is the point of having a SWAT/CERT/EMS unit if your not going to use them? How do you justify the cost? How do justify forming them in the first place? You need to have them so you get a bigger budget for FY2012.
So you send them out to serve warrants so you can show you really need them and will take money from those pesky US Marshals.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 11:59:05 AM »
One question. When did being in debt become a criminal offense? Unless there is fraud (like cheating on your taxes) its a civil matter. The government can and will screw you on fees and interest etc, but we don't have debtors prisons (lord knows every current and former Congress critter and POTUS would be the first ones arrested). The government may take your car and garnish your paycheck, but they ain't kicking in your door over a defaulted Stafford Loan.
FQ13

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:57:16 AM »

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 12:13:45 PM »
One question. When did being in debt become a criminal offense? Unless there is fraud (like cheating on your taxes) its a civil matter. The government can and will screw you on fees and interest etc, but we don't have debtors prisons (lord knows every current and former Congress critter and POTUS would be the first ones arrested). The government may take your car and garnish your paycheck, but they ain't kicking in your door over a defaulted Stafford Loan.
FQ13

I'll assume they consider it fraud not being a lawyer myself. I do not understand the need for a SWAT team for HUD but they have one too.

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 12:41:33 PM »
I decided long ago, anyone breaks down my door on a no knock warrant, they better be prepared to die, because I will be. >:(
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

r_w

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 12:54:39 PM »
I do not understand the need for a SWAT team for HUD but they have one too.

Actually, that one makes sense.  HUD housing is rifle country (read my sig).

"Why are you carrying a pistol?  Expecting trouble?"

"No Maam.  If I was expecting trouble, I'd have a rifle."

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 02:41:42 PM »
When I was out of work I was offered a position for good money as a Housing Facilitator...I would visit public housing, inspect defects and schedule maintenance or repair, then inspect the work when complete. I turned it down because I would not be permitted to be armed when at work.  That's like walking into a grizzly cage with a fly swatter...its only a matter of time.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

runstowin

• Thomas Jefferson: “Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just”
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Rights are like muscles, when they are not exercised they atrophy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk