Author Topic: Federal Carry Permit Idea  (Read 8619 times)

THE CORONER

• SHOOT STRAIGHT, SHOOT OFTEN, AND PROTECT YOUR RIGHT TO SHARE YOUR SPORT WITH THE FUTURE GENERATIONS.
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • DARKWATER FIREARMS AT WILLOW POINT
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Federal Carry Permit Idea
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 01:07:42 PM »
bad idea... Unless every state has the exact same DQ standards and all felonys are the same nation wide.

Agreed, but I want to move out of Ohio, due to the fact that the guns laws are too strict.  Furthermore....the reading of the Ohio Revised Code concerning firearms has several issues of hamstringing and catch 22's.  You can do this, but not that, etc... 

I think that the 2nd Amendment was created by the Federal Government right?  A right that cannot be impeded by the states, "or so it's supposed to be?".  Isn't there a "Premption" of Federal Law concerning constitutional rights, that should not be over turned by that of the states then?  Educate me fellas?
CORONER - SAVAGE 350 SECURITY 12 GA. SHOTGUN
TOETAGGER - WINCHESTER MODEL 94, .30-30
VINDICATOR - RUGER LCP .380 ACP
WIDOWMAKER - RUGER SINGLE SUPER SIX 3-SCREW .22
PLINKALOTER - HERITAGE ROUGH RIDER .22 COMBO 6.5" BRL
BUCKEYE FIREARMS MEMBER
NRA MEMBER

"Governments don't live together, people live together.  With governments you don't always get a fair word or a fair fight.  Well, I've come to give you either one.  Or get either one from you."  Josie Wales

tombogan03884

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 01:09:10 PM »
With all due respect, D-Man, I think you're missing the point.  This is NOT about a federal government permit.  The states still issue the permits, but all the other states would honor them, just like driver's licenses today.

TAB, I'll assume that you're trying to play devil's advocate instead of just looking for a fight, but I fail to see the difference between driver's license reciprocity and CCW reciprosity, regardless of the outlandish conspiracy scenarios that you keep coming up with.

It seems that every time this comes up the majority of people "miss the point". THE FEDERAL INVOLVEMENT WOULD ONLY BE TO INSURE RECIPROCITY BETWEEN ALL 50 STATES.

T, That's TAB, every time nation wide CCW is discussed he has SOME beef with the idea, he's from Ca. what can I say. (watch for his reply  ;D  )
There is one BIG difference between a drivers license and CCW, driving is not a Constitutionally guaranteed civil right.

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 01:16:05 PM »
There is one BIG difference between a drivers license and CCW, driving is not a Constitutionally guaranteed civil right

As easy as That :o
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 01:42:59 PM »
I should be able to exercise my right to defend myself in any state of the Union.

As Tom said, driver's licenses are a 'privilege' CCW is a right.

State boundaries should not apply once qualified to CCW.

You can use the DL system as a 'guide' though:
1. You must be issued the CCW license in the STATE that you LIVE in.
2. Once issued, you may legally CCW in ANY state, as long as you adhere to that states rules.
3. The Federal gubmint will be involved in order to insure said reciprocity between states.

All that being said, just go back to the 1800's with national open carry.   ;)

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

D-Man

• Active Forum Member
    • 5 Arrows Tactical
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 01:47:16 PM »
With all due respect, D-Man, I think you're missing the point.  This is NOT about a federal government permit.  The states still issue the permits, but all the other states would honor them, just like driver's licenses today.

TAB, I'll assume that you're trying to play devil's advocate instead of just looking for a fight, but I fail to see the difference between driver's license reciprocity and CCW reciprosity, regardless of the outlandish conspiracy scenarios that you keep coming up with.
My point is that I am for federal reciprocity, just not a FEDERAL issued permit.  I was responding to TAB's point about a federal issued permit and not reciprocity.  There is a big difference between the two.

Darren

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor / NRA Personal Protection Inside the Home / NRA Metallic & Shotgun Reloading / NRA RSO

UT/FL/VA Certified CCW Instructor

http://www.5arrowstactical.com/

http://twitter.com/5ArrowsTactical

http://www.nevadabackcountrytours.com/

Semper Fidelis!

Blessed be the Lord my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle - Psalm 144:1

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:09:33 PM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 03:40:50 PM »
Tom and Peg - THANK  YOU !!!

You not only understand but nailed it!

This is not about Feds creating something new - The Bill of Rights already covered it.  This is about the Feds telling the States to come up with a reasonable system of messing with our Rights, and then requiring all States to accept each other (just as some of you have said, like driver's license).

I should have looked at the time of the month before I threw this out in front of TAB ... Damn PMS  ;)

On a more serious note, and I have said this on here before, this is what scares me about our Second Amendment Rights - we are supposedly all gun lovers, owners, users and pro-Second Ammendment on this fourum, and we can't even get along on a basic issue like this.  Being involved on here gave me a lot more to think about in situations like Jim Zumbo and his evil black rifle rant.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tt11758

• Noolis bastardis carborundum (Don't let the bastards wear you down)
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger ~
    • 10-Ring Firearms Training
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 03:50:42 PM »
Being involved on here gave me a lot more to think about in situations like Jim Zumbo and his evil black rifle rant.

Speeaking of which........didya get to Scheel's yet?  ;D
I love waking up every morning knowing that Donald Trump is President!!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 458
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 04:01:38 PM »
Our individual rights come before the rights of the states.

Just have to pick on one thing Fuzdaddy.

People have rights.   The states have power. 

Yes I know, we talk about "states rights" and the states do have the "right to" do certain things, but it's not a great use of the word in this case.  They have the power to do certain things.  People have rights.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 04:04:37 PM »
My point is, its very messed up, that you would be DQed in your home state, but another state will let you get the OK out of state so that you can carry in your home state. 

This would not be an issue with drivers lic, why is this an issue with CCW?  its complete crap.   I think its a good thing that UT will give you an out of state CCW, but it should ONLY be good in UT!!!!
Regardless of what's messed up, I'll use a UT or FL permit in CA if this would ever pass. If California's legislature is going to act ridiculous, then use any and every loophole against them.

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 04:06:41 PM »
Just have to pick on one thing Fuzdaddy.

People have rights.   The states have power. 

Yes I know, we talk about "states rights" and the states do have the "right to" do certain things, but it's not a great use of the word in this case.  They have the power to do certain things.  People have rights.
Got it, Alf. My state sure uses its power against me and everyone else.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk