Author Topic: Hostess Cake/Wonder Bread  (Read 7621 times)

Jrlobo

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hostess Cake/Wonder Bread
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2012, 10:28:02 PM »
Let's have some respect for the dead. Someone needs to bury the twinkie and say a few words over it. I vote for Tyler. Tyler would have the right bible passages in a nanosecond. He's impressive with his research that even Google can't rival. And, then, let's all forget about it. What this country needs is a good 5c cigar; ask BC about that.
Lobo

"Often in error, never in doubt!"

tombogan03884

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2012, 10:42:02 PM »
My understanding it was during ww2 they could not get bannas so they switched.  no real loss. I hate bannas  always have.

Why could they not get bananas ?
Bananas come from Central America .

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2012, 11:47:12 PM »
Most likly a cost thing or the war department took them.  Just the story I have heard
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2012, 01:51:36 AM »
If twinkies were still banana flavored I would eat them. And TAB is right according to snopes.  http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/twinkies.asp
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2012, 07:28:44 AM »
Twinkie recipe
Step one, go to Springfield
Step two, avoiding the hounds,visit  Monty Burns' house and get a barrel of nuclear waste......(Smithers might cut you a better deal) or check Homer's back pockets.
Step three...... ;D

You gotta think outside the box, FQ....

Think almond flour, a bit of corn meal and a Stevia sweetened whipped yogurt  center, maybe?
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 09:58:20 AM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 879
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2012, 10:04:25 AM »
I don't understand all of the uproar and consternation.  Open a cookbook, turn on the oven, and bake some stuff!  My wife makes stuff far better than anything made by this conglomerate, and she does it for a fraction of the price.  Fruit pies, whoopie pies, skunks, and cookies  ;D  All we need to do is put them in the lunch box on the way out the door in the morning, and I have my driving treat or meeting break snack to get my sugar high.

I feel for the 18,500 or so that will be out of work, but Pres. BHO claims we are doing so well that they will have no problem finding a better job anyway.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2012, 11:08:38 AM »
Well, since there seems to be major union involvement in this event, many employees either directly or indirectly supported BHO's re-election.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

jnevis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2012, 12:06:38 PM »
Well, since there seems to be major union involvement in this event, many employees either directly or indirectly supported BHO's re-election.

Most of them don't get it and don't care.

We were discussing this today here.  This may, hopefully, be a first step in forcing unions out of the workplace.  Unions were a useful entity in the 20s-30s but aren't any longer.  Look at all the money taxpayers have spent on bailouts and subsidies because a unionized company can't afford to do business anymore between Federal/state and union regulations.  Most union employees think the union is doing them a favor, when in fact they are taking thier money for lawyer fees and for the leadership perks that the worker never sees.  Hostess finally said"fine, we close and sell the brand off to a non-unioin company that can make it better." 

Someone mentioned that the current union rules for Hostess is that only one product type can be transported in a van marked for that product.  More unioin employees to drive the stuff around but exponential costs in maintenance and supply chain management.  Now a non-union company can take over and streamline the process and save 30% or more.  Yes, there would be layoffs, but they're being laid-off anyway if the company closes. 
When seconds mean the difference between life and death, the police will be minutes away.

You are either SOLVING the problem, or you ARE the problem.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2012, 12:47:22 PM »
Unions are both good and bad.  Unions that train people ( like the old school construction trades) to do tasks are a good thing.   the other unions, I don't see much use for these days.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Jrlobo

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2012, 12:58:17 PM »
TAB/Tom, My mother explained to me that during WWII, bananas were rationed due to shipping restrictions related to the war effort. This apparently occurred at the time our doctor put me on a banana diet to combat a potassium deficiency. So, my mother traded cigarette ration coupons (she didn't smoke anyway) in order to get some bananas for me. Interestingly, my current doctor tells me that I have a potassium deficiency (still?) and what do you think he prescribes for this? A banana a day! There are other food sources, of course, but bananas are the easy thing to consume at breakfast. Banana creme centers for twinkies would be health food for me!
Lobo

"Often in error, never in doubt!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk