Author Topic: Low Cost Gun Safe Alternative  (Read 27207 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
Re: Low Cost Gun Safe Alternative
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 11:31:03 AM »
I saw a Knaack and a Jobox both at the same pawn shop once for $200 each. They were the 48" long (or around that) models and I wish I'd bought one then (I debated on it).

I found you pay for length with these things. Mine is 72" long, (the longest one available). Home Depot had several just like mine that were 48" in length. This appears to be the most popular size. 48" will accommodate most rifles and handguns. Long barrelled shotguns, (28" or longer), might have to be placed in diagonally. What I like about having the 72" length is it allows for handguns to be placed at one end and not interfere with the rifles and shotguns at the other end, unless you're like me and have things piled on top.   ;D   Bill T.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 07:22:29 PM »
Nothing fancy for now. I just have them in the cases. I'm thinking of getting or making some felt lined, stackable, wooden racks. That way the cases won't be taking up so much room. The back shelf is nice for ammo, cameras, small handguns, coins, name it. So far I'm happy with it, I just have to sort out how I'm going to proceed. It has a lot of potential. I'm even thinking of making a shelf / cover that would go across the entire top from end to end, and from the front to the back shelf. That would open up even more storage for handguns, etc. I could put handles on it so the entire shelf could be lifted right out allowing access to the guns underneath. We'll see.  Bill T.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2009, 07:30:49 PM »
I found you pay for length with these things. Mine is 72" long, (the longest one available). Home Depot had several just like mine that were 48" in length. This appears to be the most popular size. 48" will accommodate most rifles and handguns. Long barrelled shotguns, (28" or longer), might have to be placed in diagonally. What I like about having the 72" length is it allows for handguns to be placed at one end and not interfere with the rifles and shotguns at the other end, unless you're like me and have things piled on top.   ;D   Bill T.

2 reasons why thay have the 48" size

1 it will fit in the bed of a full size truck.

2 they are the same size as a pallet so they can be shiped easily
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2009, 06:16:37 AM »
Nothing fancy for now. I just have them in the cases. I'm thinking of getting or making some felt lined, stackable, wooden racks. That way the cases won't be taking up so much room. The back shelf is nice for ammo, cameras, small handguns, coins, name it. So far I'm happy with it, I just have to sort out how I'm going to proceed. It has a lot of potential. I'm even thinking of making a shelf / cover that would go across the entire top from end to end, and from the front to the back shelf. That would open up even more storage for handguns, etc. I could put handles on it so the entire shelf could be lifted right out allowing access to the guns underneath. We'll see.  Bill T.

Kind of like your own personal hope chest.  ;D

After having spent just over a grand for standup safe (I know, relatively cheap, but it is low crime here and it is in a lower level with no windows) - and dreading the idea I may have to move it - this is a great idea if you can solve the internal storage issues.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2009, 10:45:24 AM »
What are the prices on the Greenlee?
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 11:43:05 AM »

dj454

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2009, 11:40:37 AM »
Great idea I am going to look into this. I don't want to spend 2 grand on a safe either.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 11:56:55 AM »

depends on where you shop and if it's used or not.

Here is a sort of guide...

http://www.arizonatools.com/tools/greenlee/

http://www.arizonatools.com/tools/greenlee,2/

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Timothy

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2009, 12:03:20 PM »

http://www.toolfetch.com/Brand/Greenlee/Storage_Boxes/Jobsite_Boxes/

Greenlee, DeWalt, Knaak, Jobox.....

24 x 24 x 72 is about 750 bucks...

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2009, 12:44:18 PM »
Mine is 24" X 28" X 72" and it ran me six hundred and change with tax. I didn't think that was too bad. They, (Home Depot), had the 48" long model for just under three hundred. It is the most popular one because of the reasons TAB stated.  Bill T.

True_Texan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2009, 01:11:09 PM »
That's a really good idea. I just spent a large chunk of change (not the BHO type of change) and put a new safe into the closet of my computer room. That would work just as well in closet, still leaving plenty of room for hanging stuff. Plus, it would have been a whole lot easier moving that thing in then this safe was. At 185lbs you would need to bolt it down or do like you did with the lead shot.

Once again, nice idea and good for you for thinking 'outside the box'.  ;D
"Before giving someone a piece of your mind, be sure you have enough to spare."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk