Author Topic: Low Cost Gun Safe Alternative  (Read 27205 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Low Cost Gun Safe Alternative
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2009, 12:21:24 PM »
 Just another side table  ;D

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2009, 12:57:36 PM »
I'm still not done, but at least it looks better than the inside of an Irish Pub!  ;D  Bill T.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2009, 03:12:43 PM »
Another thing I like about it compared to my other safes is the fact it isn't easy to tip over. A lot of people talk about anchoring a safe to the floor. The biggest problem with that is a lot of homes that are built on concrete slabs have plumbing pipe running through them. The homeowner doesn't know where these pipes are located. Drilling into the slab to secure anchor bolts without knowing the exact location of these pipes is extremely dangerous. If you were to hit a water pipe you would have a monumental disaster on your hands that would be expensive to clean up and repair! I don't even want to think about hitting a gas pipe with an electric drill!

A free standing gun safe is an open target for kids / vandals who break in. For many what they can't steal they would like nothing better to destroy. It wouldn't take much for 2 people to push a gun safe over on to it's side. Doing so would severely damage the guns inside it. With the chest type "safes" this is all but impossible.   Bill T.

unless you have  raidant heating, there is no pipe in the slabs.  they are underneath the slab. its been against the UBC since there has been a a UBC.

now if you have a post tentioned slab( there will be a imprint or a plate some where in your garage or on the outside)  you have to be very carful not to hit one of the cables.  cutting/danaging one of those could lead to the foundation cracking apart.  when that happens, you must jack that house and re do the foundation.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2009, 03:23:06 PM »
That turned out really well Billt. Really like that alot.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk