Author Topic: Ruger introduces the SR-7.62!  (Read 6636 times)

gunman42782

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Life Member of the NRA

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Ruger introduces the SR-7.62!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 08:54:04 AM »
I'll take one.   

Birthday is in March, if anyone loves me that much  ;D ;D ;D
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • It's just a pen name...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 11:28:26 AM »
I can never decide whether I'm in the market for an AR10 or not. I have a few AR15's in 5.56 (and now a 300AAC) and a Ruger GSR, but if I were I'd go with the lightest I could find and I don't think that's it. The direct gas/piston thing doesn't mean that much to me, maybe I'll come around one day  :-\
Best Wishes, Mike.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 01:01:13 PM »
I became a piston fan back in the day when the AR got a bad rap for being dirty and the word back then was that the cause was a swap in the powder used.  The GAO determined that the same ballistic performance could be achieved with a cheaper powder than was specified by the design team.  Unfortunately, the cheap powder was also much dirtier and the direct gas impingement system helped dump that dirt into the works.

I never wanted to be limited in my reloading powder choices, so I became a piston fan.

All that might be untrue or corrected in modern designs, but I don't care.  I still prefer a piston...not that I've ever owned one.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Herknav

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 12:41:35 AM »
Michael seemed all giddy about it a couple of podcasts ago.  I'm wondering where this stacks up against his beloved FAL.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:00:16 PM »

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • It's just a pen name...
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 07:41:11 AM »
I've been trying to  talk myself out of an FAL for a couple of months, I think I only want one for historic/'sentimental' reasons (we have a brief history).
I came to the conclusion that by the time I'd finished making it shootable at distance (rail/optic etc.) for my ageing eyes it wouldn't have the same charm as those I remember......so now I'm saving for an ugly SCAR Heavy!  :-X
Best Wishes, Mike.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 08:11:04 PM »
I can never decide whether I'm in the market for an AR10 or not. I have a few AR15's in 5.56 (and now a 300AAC) and a Ruger GSR, but if I were I'd go with the lightest I could find and I don't think that's it. The direct gas/piston thing doesn't mean that much to me, maybe I'll come around one day  :-\

I like the piston for a few reasons, but I can't justify the up charge for it.  Apparently they gold plate the piston parts  >:(
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Respen33

• Packing IT guy
  • Forum Member
  • What round is 30 rounds if you cant hit the paper.
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 12:05:30 PM »
I too have been fighting. I bought a RRA 5.56 system. I built a .300 AAC system via parts. Now I am planning to build a .308 system but am finding part purchasing much more daunting.

I may just buy myself a SCAR 17 and call it a day. :-D
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

DeltaM

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 10:50:25 AM »
My first 7.62 AR platform was a Rock River brand.  I still have it but as I've aged, I don't shoot it much.  It is too heavy to reasonably hunt with unless in a blind or someplace where you don't have to carry it far.   I have to use a padded shooting vest with a padded boot on the stock, especially in summer when it is hot and only a T-shirt to shoot it more than one 20 round mag.  It is really a hard hitting rifle when compared to my AR 5.56.  It is just suited for younger, more energetic types.

Reloading the 7.62 requires a lot of case lube when sizing compared to the 5.56.

At least surplus NATO rounds are, or use to be, available.

I still have it and have thought about getting rid of it but can't seem to bring myself to that point.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk