Author Topic: Ranger and Black Talon ammo?  (Read 43079 times)

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ranger and Black Talon ammo?
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 09:15:03 AM »
I presently carry Black Talons in my .40, I bought up all I could b4 they stopped production. They are a little older than I like so I'm shooting them up and moving to another round. The ranger sxt is supposed to out perform the talon, if you can find them. Federals HST is said to be the best round on the market, who knows.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 576
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 09:52:45 AM »
Some conflicting information around this thread.  What's the straight skinny?

Also...I like the Expanding Full Metal Jackets that Federal has out...more like blunt trauma. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 10:49:24 AM »
These bullets are not in any way illegal to own or use, but I personally would not use them.

It would not be very difficult for a trial lawyer to use them to sway a jury. I know I would personally hate to be sitting in court and have an attorney going on and on to a jury about how I shot someone with those "evil black bullets", or have a jury go into deliberation and talk about why I was carrying "Cop Killers".

JMHO
I have to agree with this...I've read some experts that preach that you should use ammo used by the local pd and you use a stock pistol for carry. Fancy, deadly ammo and a lot of do-it-yourself tweaking to a pistol to lighten the trigger or whatever can be THE BEST ammo for a prosecutor looking to put you away for defending yourself. A trigger job by a gunsmith is understandable, but a lot of custom tweaking can be twisted into malicious intent...you were just "itchin'" for the chance.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 01:15:12 PM »
I have to agree with this...I've read some experts that preach that you should use ammo used by the local pd and you use a stock pistol for carry. Fancy, deadly ammo and a lot of do-it-yourself tweaking to a pistol to lighten the trigger or whatever can be THE BEST ammo for a prosecutor looking to put you away for defending yourself. A trigger job by a gunsmith is understandable, but a lot of custom tweaking can be twisted into malicious intent...you were just "itchin'" for the chance.

+1 on jaybethel and ericire12. That's why you should NEVER use reloaded ammo in your carry gun either. Regular ammo not deadly enough? Trying to REALLY mess people up? I'd hate to be tried under those circumstances.

Black Talons were IMO one of the very best of the "magic bullets" ever made to meet FBI standards. The reverse taper jacket was more important to the design than the black color or the talons. I think Hydra-Shoks were the first to pass the FBI tests and were followed soon after by Black Talons, Starfires, Golden Sabers, XTPs, and all the rest. They're all great bullets that are tough enough to penetrate glass and sheet metal and will still expand. I just wouldn't carry the Black Talons for the already stated reason when the rest of the group perform about the same.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 04:45:01 PM »
+1 on jaybethel and ericire12. That's why you should NEVER use reloaded ammo in your carry gun either. Regular ammo not deadly enough? Trying to REALLY mess people up? I'd hate to be tried under those circumstances.

Actually there has never been an issue of reloaded rounds in any court in any state. In a justiifiable shooting. So a lawyer has said on another forum.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:52:41 PM »

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2008, 05:18:47 PM »

Actually there has never been an issue of reloaded rounds in any court in any state. In a justiifiable shooting. So a lawyer has said on another forum.

Consider the source (Anonymous guy on the Internet)
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 06:09:08 PM »
Consider the source (Anonymous guy on the Internet)

Worse. Anonymous lawyer.
Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2008, 06:34:10 PM »
I sure we would of heard about it. Im trying to find the link, Its been awhile , sorry.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2008, 05:27:17 AM »
Nice pics. Some doctors were whining about how the claws could cut through two pairs of rubber gloves when they pulled bullets out of someone. They were woried about getting diseases. I say quit whining and use forceps like anyone else would.

thats the biggest load of crap I have heard( I've heard it before)  When  person is shot, there is a very good chance there will be lots of very sharp things in the wound, hell bone fragments can be almost as sharp as a razor.  I bet those are encounters alot more often then an "killer bullet".   Thats all political BS, Anyone that uses thier profession to further thier political agenda, needs to be bared from that profession.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2008, 07:51:15 AM »
thats the biggest load of crap I have heard( I've heard it before)  When  person is shot, there is a very good chance there will be lots of very sharp things in the wound, hell bone fragments can be almost as sharp as a razor.  I bet those are encounters alot more often then an "killer bullet".   Thats all political BS, Anyone that uses thier profession to further thier political agenda, needs to be bared from that profession.

I agree. Can we put congressmen at the front of that line?
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk