Author Topic: Pizza Hut driver suspended from his job after he shot an armed robber  (Read 10451 times)

MinotBob

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pizza Hut driver suspended from his job after he shot an armed robber
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 03:51:20 AM »
I got the following notice of a Friends of the NRA Meeting in Renton WA.

Dear NRA Member:

Hello. My name is Brendon Hill and I'm the NRA Field Representative for Western Washington. I'm writing to let you know about an exciting opportunity coming to your area.

NRA members are making a difference in their own communities and across the nation by getting involved in the Friends of NRA Program. This great program is building a foundation under the future of the shooting sports by supporting places and programs that bring in new shooters. Together we are changing the course of history and turning back the tide of misinformation against gun owners. If you ever wanted to do something to really make a difference, this is your chance!!

On Tuesday, April 15th we will hold an organizational meeting at 6:30 PM. The meeting will be at the Pizza Hut on Rainier Ave in Renton, Washington. This is a rare opportunity to meet NRA staff & learn how the NRA is working to help gun owners right here in Western Washington! We will explain the Friends of NRA program and how it will benefit your community. We are looking for a few dedicated NRA members to help the Friends of NRA event in your area. I hope that you will attend this important meeting. Be sure to bring a friend with you.

A Friends of NRA event is a night of fun and fellowship where gun owners come together to celebrate their hard-won right to keep and bear arms. Activities include dinner, live auction, games & special drawings for specially crafted NRA items, including limited edition firearms from respected manufacturers like Beretta, Remington, Ruger, Weatherby, Winchester, Savage and Kimber to name a few, limited edition wildlife artwork, high quality optics and much more.

This is your chance to make a difference. Please refer to the bottom of this letter. Make copies and help spread the word by telling other gun owners about this important meeting. With your help, we can get local gun owners on the team. I look forward to meeting you April 15th at the Pizza Hut in Renton!

Sincerely,
Brendon Hill
NRA Field Representative Western Washington

I wrote Brendon Hill an e-mail letting him know my displeasure with Pizza Hut and why I would not attend the meeting and got this response:

The Pizza Hut driver was only suspended and not fired.  We can discuss at meeting-I side with Pizza Hut as a business he just opened them up to a ton of lawsuits-he should have told them he was carrying and they would have made a decision then-work there or not-but he had no right to spring it on them while on the clock.  I've left jobs for that reason and kept a job when the boss encouraged concealed carry.  This will make a great discussion-see you at the meeting.  -B-

If you would like to voice you opinion drop Mr. Hill and note at bhill@nrahq.org
Pray for Obama. Psalm 109:8

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 880
Re: Pizza Hut driver suspended from his job after he shot an armed robber
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 09:23:18 AM »
First - I can understand Mr. Hill's response concerning breaking company rules and needing to work within the system.  I have not seen anything from NRA or heard anything from anyone else as to what NRA's official stance is on this.  It would be nice if someone from NRA would sit down with this driver and with the store owner and get both sides of the story, and then they could start coming out with some information for employees and employers to work these things out.  Basically, this could be a good learning experience for everyone.

Second - I did get ahold of Pizza Hut yesterday and asked what the status was.  The person I talked to was aware of the story, but said there was no information available, and the sound of her voice was like she wasn't really happy about getting questioned.  She asked if I wanted to voice an opinion.  I left my name and phone number along with a request that Pizza Hut give an update and stance as soon as possible.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
I thought the following quote was appropriate...

"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

I agree. I say WELL DONE to the delivery man.
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
It's been over a month since I called Pizza Hut and they offered to keep me updated.  Guess what?  No word from them.  Maybe it will just go away.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

CurrieS103

• NRA Life Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
That's what Pizza Hut wants
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Sponsor

CZShooter

• IDPA SO/MD, NRA RSO
  • Top Forum Member
  • CZ75...the choice of anime's hottest bounty hunter
  • Liked:
I did hear on Tom Gresham's Gun Talk a couple of weeks back that the driver was eventually terminated for violating company policy. I hope Mr. Spiers is able to find employment at a better company.

-I'd rather be judged by twelve fired by one, than carried by six.
If the women don't find you handsome...they should at least find you handy.

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
It's been over a month since I called Pizza Hut and they offered to keep me updated.  Guess what?  No word from them.  Maybe it will just go away.

I stopped ordering pizza from them because they kept hanging up on me when I tried to call in an order. Last time, I got hung up on 3 times in a row.
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

Mr.45

• Active Forum Member
  • TAP RACK READY
  • Liked:
The Pizza Hut's here have the nasty "NO GUN" signs up at all of their stores and instruct their driver's (in their personal vehicles) not to carry a firearm. I know this because one of my brothers is a manager at one here. I will not jepardise his job by speaking of his common carry practice but I truly feel that things would eventualy change if the big wigs had to deliver to some of the lovely places here in this city whether it be simply to stop making deliveries to these areas or a change of their policy. I know this will never happen, however and I stronly agree with everyone here when I say good for him.
RDH

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
I know this is a complex and sticky situation, and I try to seperate two issues when I talk to Pizza Hut.  However, I still have a problem with them - Their no guns policy.

I do not like the idea that a company will institue for either its customers or employees a no gun policy.  These policies often do not stop at the front door, but also include all property (Phillips/Conoco that would not allow guns in vehicles in the parking lots).  For this reason I will express my displeasure with Pizza Hut and its affiliates which are large and numerous.

The other side of the issue is that he did knowingly break company policy.  Unfortunately it is hard to protest that one.  He knew the rules and broke them.  He had good reason, and the only reason he got caught was because he needed to defend himself.  It is too bad that a company like this does not realize that it is not as simple as just handing over the cash.

I do hope that Mr. Spiers is able to find employment in a more fair setting.  I also hope that he is able to use this experience as a way to change some of the policies.  We all need to speak up about what is unfair and try to change things to a system of more common sense.

Mr.45

• Active Forum Member
  • TAP RACK READY
  • Liked:
M58 makes a good point. Thank god that one of the silly laws that would make it unlawfull to have a weapon in the vehicle on the parking lot of a "no gun" business has'nt been passed here (yet). It just amazes me still in this world we live in that the general public is much more afraid (and in some cases terrified) to be around a lawfull carring citizen than the thugs we all have aquired this license to protect ourselves and family against. I only know that sadly it will only get worse.
RDH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk