Author Topic: Anthracite Coal -- Prepping?  (Read 2521 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Anthracite Coal -- Prepping?
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2021, 08:29:59 AM »
When your breathe is frosting your face hair, and snot freezing in your nose, it isn't a bad smell at all.    ;D

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 583
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2021, 07:45:26 PM »
I'll probably never smell it.  This is for "there ain't no electricity and there ain't nothing left to burn" that an old man can use in the direst of emergencies. 

Of course, if I'm relegated to eating cat food at some point I probably would burn it to save a dime.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2021, 08:35:48 AM »
I'll probably never smell it.  This is for "there ain't no electricity and there ain't nothing left to burn" that an old man can use in the direst of emergencies. 

Of course, if I'm relegated to eating cat food at some point I probably would burn it to save a dime.

Go with wood.
As long as the furniture lasts you'll have heat .
Any thing else leaves you dependent on out side power or delivery.

JimmerJammer

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2021, 07:23:35 PM »
Why not just use wood? It is usually free and doesn't burn so terribly....

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2021, 08:49:03 AM »
The energy density of coal is much higher than wood.  A "chord" size pike of coal will keep you warmer much longer than a chord of wood.

My grandmothers house had coal fireplaces and a coal fired boiler for steam heat.  Never remember any smell.  Of course my parents house at the time had a central kerosine heater, so maybe I was use to the smell.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 02:59:40 PM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 583
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2021, 08:28:27 AM »
In my SHTF scenario I've lived a few more years and I'm really old.  At this point, I am in no shape to split wood unless I want to court a heart attack.  So...if the SHTF and I can't buy wood I would like to have some coal "on the side" to keep ready so I can keep toasty.  I can always pick up branches from all over the woods but it would be a lot less work to walk out back and grab a bucket of coal.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2021, 10:00:20 AM »
In my SHTF scenario I've lived a few more years and I'm really old.  At this point, I am in no shape to split wood unless I want to court a heart attack.  So...if the SHTF and I can't buy wood I would like to have some coal "on the side" to keep ready so I can keep toasty.  I can always pick up branches from all over the woods but it would be a lot less work to walk out back and grab a bucket of coal.

Don't worry about it.
If you're that feeble, hauling water will kill you long before wood chopping does.   ;D

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1448
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2021, 09:11:33 AM »
Don't worry about it.
If you're that feeble, hauling water will kill you long before wood chopping does.   ;D

Damn Tom. You are such an optimist.  ::)
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

tombogan03884

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2021, 03:55:58 PM »
Damn Tom. You are such an optimist.  ::)

BTDT    ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk