Author Topic: 5.56 and .223  (Read 19667 times)

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 5.56 and .223
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2009, 12:33:24 PM »
The one on the left.
Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2009, 01:26:40 PM »
Thanks Don. Had a brain fart for a moment.  ;D

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2009, 03:13:16 PM »
I hate to get back on topic, but,  my mini 14 is stamped 223, while in the manual it sez 5.56 or 223.  What is up with that?
There is a long and short to this.

The long answer is it's a little tricky and has to do with the difference in pressures. The American Rifleman revisited this within the last couple of years. I'll try to find the article and either post a link or an issue date. You can ask all sorts of people and look all over the internet for armchair advice. Some advice will be dead on and some will be dangerous. Some guns shoot either and some don't. While some people have shot 5.56 in their 223 barreled guns with no ill effects, that may not be the case for everyone. Some people have gone over Niagara Falls or the Golden Gate Bridge and lived, but I know better.

The short answer is to take 5 minutes and call the manufacturer. I have 2 guns that are stamped 223. A Mini 14 and a Colt Sporter Lightweight. I called both manufacturers to make sure and I can fire 5.56 in them.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2009, 03:28:43 PM »
There is a long and short to this.

The long answer is it's a little tricky and has to do with the difference in pressures. The American Rifleman revisited this within the last couple of years. I'll try to find the article and either post a link or an issue date. You can ask all sorts of people and look all over the internet for armchair advice. Some advice will be dead on and some will be dangerous. Some guns shoot either and some don't. While some people have shot 5.56 in their 223 barreled guns with no ill effects, that may not be the case for everyone. Some people have gone over Niagara Falls or the Golden Gate Bridge and lived, but I know better.

The short answer is to take 5 minutes and call the manufacturer. I have 2 guns that are stamped 223. A Mini 14 and a Colt Sporter Lightweight. I called both manufacturers to make sure and I can fire 5.56 in them.

Good advice.
Especially since Ruger has four different manuals for the Mini-14 depending on serial # and date of manufacture.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/PS-InstructionManuals-RI.html

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

saltydogbk

• Better to die on my feet than live on my knees
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2009, 03:32:39 PM »
Just got off the phone with Ruger...yes the Mini 14 shoots both 223 and 5.56.
You can never have too many guns, or too much ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 11:37:40 AM »

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2009, 03:36:01 PM »
Just got off the phone with Ruger...yes the Mini 14 shoots both 223 and 5.56.
Yep, I should have posted that was the answer that I got from them. Same for the Colt Sporters.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2009, 08:58:11 PM »
Calling the manufacturer is the best advice I've seen on here.  I have done that for history information on a couple of used guns I purchased, and I just did it with DPMS on questions due to a dealer issue.  In every case I gave them the serial number and they could tell me everything I wanted to know and more about the gun.

Thanks for that advice!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2009, 07:30:44 AM »
Especially when it comes to anything that may be a safety issue, always ask the manufacturer. We don't want any of our friends & family losing body parts.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2009, 11:59:45 AM »
Especially when it comes to anything that may be a safety issue, always ask the manufacturer. We don't want any of our friends & family losing body parts.

AMEN, Brother.....AMEN.    ;)
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2009, 07:26:42 PM »
Heard in the last couple of days that the newer Ruger Mini-14 Target rifle is .223 only, but have not been able to confirm or dismiss that statement.   Could not find anything on the Ruger website in regards to aMINI-14 Targert rifle manual.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk