Author Topic: Rats!  (Read 4626 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 877
Re: Rats!
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 08:03:08 PM »
I've heard of a lot of people having electrical wires chewed on by mice too. So far I've been lucky.

Back in the late 80's we went to get the combine ready for harvest and found we had electrical issues.  I drilled out the pop rivets on a corner piece in the cab to check the wires.  A bundle of over 100 wires that went from the side counsel to the overhead counsel with all the gauges and more switches.  The mice had chewed through all the wire loom, almost all of the insulation, and about half of the actual wires.  Four days of spending all of my free time cutting, soldering, heat shrinking, cutting, soldering, heat shrinking, cutting ...

To make the job as easy as possible, I made a template eight inches long, cut that length out of a wire, stripped the insulation back on each end, had a pre-cut fill in ready, soldered the connections, and protected with heat shrink tubing.  Something I was smart enough to start with was staggering the splices up and down.  This is how I came up with the eight inch length.  I based it on the length of damage and getting staggered joints.  I figured that If I just lopped it all off at the same place I would never have room for the thickness of the splices.

Best feeling, besides buttoning it up after many many hours of work, was going through harvest with all gauges, monitors, lights, and switches working properly.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 11:15:22 PM »
Back in the late 80's we went to get the combine ready for harvest and found we had electrical issues.  I drilled out the pop rivets on a corner piece in the cab to check the wires.  A bundle of over 100 wires that went from the side counsel to the overhead counsel with all the gauges and more switches.  The mice had chewed through all the wire loom, almost all of the insulation, and about half of the actual wires.  Four days of spending all of my free time cutting, soldering, heat shrinking, cutting, soldering, heat shrinking, cutting ...

To make the job as easy as possible, I made a template eight inches long, cut that length out of a wire, stripped the insulation back on each end, had a pre-cut fill in ready, soldered the connections, and protected with heat shrink tubing.  Something I was smart enough to start with was staggering the splices up and down.  This is how I came up with the eight inch length.  I based it on the length of damage and getting staggered joints.  I figured that If I just lopped it all off at the same place I would never have room for the thickness of the splices.

Best feeling, besides buttoning it up after many many hours of work, was going through harvest with all gauges, monitors, lights, and switches working properly.

You would have been so screwed if the wires were all the same color. That was good thinking, staggering the splices. I did that on the tail lights of my trailer that only had 2 wires on each side, but the loom was kind of narrow and still barely fit through washers welded on the bottom of the trailer to support it.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 04:50:24 PM »
Tracing marks!

There are not enough colors to handle this loom, so it was mostly white with different tracing marks.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 05:01:36 PM »
Ok...we need a rodent targeted poison spray for our wires..

Anyone know of one?

I keep  hearing about ultrasonic devices to drive them away...but I hear they are only effective for a short time as the pests get use to them and come back. 

Some of them actually connect to a vehicles electric system for power and some claim they alternate frequencies to keep the buggers from getting used to the noise...but who knows what is true.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 05:38:26 PM »
When my mom and dad had mice in their garage they put out d-CON for them to eat. They can't chew on anything when they're dead.  ;)  Tomcat should work too but has a different type of active ingredient.

D-CON causes internal bleeding, leading to shock, loss of consciousness, and eventually death. Tomcat causes a buildup of cerebral spinal fluid that results in increased intracranial pressure, causing paralysis, convulsions, and death. My dad took Warfarin as a blood thinner which acts just like D-CON, but in a much smaller dose.

http://www.d-conproducts.com/products/

https://www.tomcatbrand.com/en-us/products
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 08:21:06 AM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 06:00:54 PM »
With the barns we rotated between TomCat and Jaguar.  Both come in little paper packets you can put wherever you wish.

We used the packets alone in several places, and bait stations along runs.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 06:02:59 PM »
When my mom and dad had mice in their garage they put out d-CON for them to eat. They can't chew on anything when they're dead.  ;)  Tomcat should work too but has a different type of active ingredient.

D-CON causes internal bleeding, leading to shock, loss of consciousness, and eventually death. Tomcat causes a buildup of cerebral spinal fluid that results in increased intracranial pressure, causing paralysis, convulsions, and death. My dad took Warfarin as a blood thinner which acts just like D-CON, but in a much smaller dose.

http://www.d-conproducts.com/products/

https://www.tomcatbrand.com/en-us/products

Which is the most horrible way for them to die?

I read a long time ago that rats could not handle yeast...and if you laced bait with it, it would grow in their stomachs and intestines causing them to rupture....  I liked thinking about that...but don't know if it is true

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 06:16:33 PM »
Which is the most horrible way for them to die?

I read a long time ago that rats could not handle yeast...and if you laced bait with it, it would grow in their stomachs and intestines causing them to rupture....  I liked thinking about that...but don't know if it is true

That sounds like another myth along the lines of, don't throw rice at weddings because birds will explode after eating it, and seagulls will explode if they eat Alka-Seltzer, neither of which is true. But a guy in the army told me something that sounded possible. If you put popcorn on a fishhook and cast your line into a flock of seagulls you can catch one and "fly it by remote control".  ;D

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 07:04:38 PM »
That sounds like another myth along the lines of, don't throw rice at weddings because birds will explode after eating it, and seagulls will explode if they eat Alka-Seltzer, neither of which is true. But a guy in the army told me something that sounded possible. If you put popcorn on a fishhook and cast your line into a flock of seagulls you can catch one and "fly it by remote control".  ;D

HAHAHA  No one likes a Smart Alec, Jumbo =)))

—Patrick Henry

— Daniel Webster

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 10:38:30 PM »
I wasn't trying to be a Smart Alec. But speaking of a flock of seagulls . . .  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk