Author Topic: Taurus enters the .380 wars  (Read 37861 times)

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
Re: Taurus enters the .380 wars
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 08:58:45 PM »
Technically, there is no such thing as a .380 +P round, at least according to SAAMI. Unless they changed things in the last 4-6 months, last time I looked.

Hornady also has some new ammo out for the .380 that is supposed to be pretty cool (hot?). Have not even seen it on the store shelves, and the workers in the stores just look at me funny when I ask about it.

UPDATE: Hornady's XTP .380 rounds got 1000fps +/- - not bad for such a little cartridge.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009, 08:59:52 PM »
No, I think they are just looking at you that way because you are "funny" while you ask about it.  ;D
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2009, 09:22:52 PM »
Technically, there is no such thing as a .380 +P round, at least according to SAAMI. Unless they changed things in the last 4-6 months, last time I looked.

Hornady also has some new ammo out for the .380 that is supposed to be pretty cool (hot?). Have not even seen it on the store shelves, and the workers in the stores just look at me funny when I ask about it.

UPDATE: Hornady's XTP .380 rounds got 1000fps +/- - not bad for such a little cartridge.

BB has had it at 1100+ out of a keltec for long time.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2009, 09:27:48 PM »
I was talking to John Snow from OUTDOOR LIFE, and we agreed that the rise of the .380 was a relatively weird phenomenon...I have never seen so many .380s in one room than SHOT 2009! The titanium Taurus was amazingly light....you could float it (unloaded) on a helium balloon. Sig reinvented the Colt Mustang...Walther created a .380 in the image of its .22 (I mean, it is not THAT much lighter than the sainted PPK and I swear it's a little bigger)...everybody had a .380 of some sort. Accordingly, .380 ammo development is in hyperdrive. I'm sticking with the Corbon DPXs for now, but I'm keeping my eyes open.

Funny story...one dinner with a bunch of my friends revealed that the Ruger LCP was in most people's (includng my) pocket...amazing penetration of the pocket pistol market!

Michael B (back from the wars)
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

tombogan03884

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2009, 09:28:36 PM »
BB has had it at 1100+ out of a keltec for long time.

Weren't you just posting that they were an anemic 850 fps ?

"I mean yeah they are small and light, but a 95 gr bullet going 850 fps( 2 inch barrel) is not what i would call powerfull."

Come on TAB,

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 12:03:24 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2009, 09:31:40 PM »
I was talking to John Snow from OUTDOOR LIFE, and we agreed that the rise of the .380 was a relatively weird phenomenon...I have never seen so many .380s in one room than SHOT 2009! The titanium Taurus was amazingly light....you could float it (unloaded) on a helium balloon. Sig reinvented the Colt Mustang...Walther created a .380 in the image of its .22 (I mean, it is not THAT much lighter than the sainted PPK and I swear it's a little bigger)...everybody had a .380 of some sort. Accordingly, .380 ammo development is in hyperdrive. I'm sticking with the Corbon DPXs for now, but I'm keeping my eyes open.

Funny story...one dinner with a bunch of my friends revealed that the Ruger LCP was in most people's (includng my) pocket...amazing penetration of the pocket pistol market!

Welcome back,
With metal prices at the levels they are won't a Titanium anything be prohibitively expensive ? Will they be able to compete price wise with the polymer guns like Kel Tec and Ruger ?

wisconsin

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2009, 05:24:07 PM »

Midway USA has it in thier Jan. flyer on p.25. 380 auto 90 gr. FTX. $18.49 for 25 rds.
" I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."   John Wayne

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2009, 07:23:23 PM »

If you ever get a chance to shoot a box of Remington Golden Saber's .380 Auto.. give it and try and compare it to others in penetration tests.  ;)

gunpowdergreg

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2009, 11:05:41 AM »
With all the buzz about 380+P ammo is the Kel-Tec P3AT and the newer Ruger LCP, Kahr P380 and Taurus 738 TCP designed to handle the anticipated +P type loadings?

CZShooter

• IDPA SO/MD, NRA RSO
  • Top Forum Member
  • CZ75...the choice of anime's hottest bounty hunter
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2009, 12:30:50 PM »
Welcome to the forum, gunpowdergreg!

Here's the deal...SAAMI doesn't have a spec for .380 +P ammo. Therefore, the gun manufacturers won't claim their products can handle +P ammo without a definition of what they are going to be held to (the whole liability thing).
If the women don't find you handsome...they should at least find you handy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk