Author Topic: Is skeet shooting good for shotgun defensive training?  (Read 13395 times)

tstand

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Is skeet shooting good for shotgun defensive training?
« on: February 04, 2012, 10:36:35 PM »
A friend suggested a shotgun would be a good choice for home defense and skeet would train me to shoot well at a moving targets, including a bad guy in my home. 

Is skeet shooting a useful way to train for defensive use of a shotgun for home defense?

tombogan03884

Re: Is skeet shooting good for shotgun defensive training?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 11:32:39 PM »
A shot gun is definitely a good home defense gun. If you live in an apartment use shot so you don't kill your neighbors.
Anything that involves moving targets should be good training.
In WWII fighter pilots and bomber crews were taught aerial gunnery by shooting skeet.

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 04:25:43 AM »
you have to lead a moving target.  that is the gun's muzzle has to be out in front of the target when the gun fires.

chances are you will be using a gun, any gun, at across the room distances, on a human sized target.  so chances are leading the target isn't necessary.

and it kinda scares me to think that the only situation you would need to lead a human target would be if it is running away, and shooting a person in the back as they are running away is bad, Bad BAD!

I would think the only thing beneficial about skeet/trap/sporting clays with respect to a home defense or self-defense situation is that you do become quite familiar with how to manipulate your shotgun.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 06:56:03 AM »
Trigger time is trigger time.  Any time you are shooting a gun properly in any given sport you are training for use of that gun.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tstand

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 07:49:41 AM »
Good points, thanks!

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:29:29 AM »

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 08:27:53 AM »
Just about any trigger time that gets the ol' eye/hand thingy working is a plus.. But are you going to use a "skeet" shotgun with a long barrel, or a defensive shotgun? Pump or semi?

Be advised that at SD distances, which are usually 7yds. or less, the shot and pattern will be substantially different than a flying target.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

tstand

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 09:30:51 AM »
I will probably get a pump shotgun with an 18" barrel for home defense and get a second, longer barrel for skeet shooting.

My friend suggested a 20 gauge, mostly for my wife's sake.

I watched a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElFmPZMtaSIwhere a tester looked at how much penetration of a wall would occur for different types of shot.

The shot with a wide spread and some but not full penetration of the "wall" was....

Winchester Super-X (2 3/4"  #2 drylok steel)
Winchester Xpert Hi-Vel (2 3/4" #3 steel and #4 steel)

I think this means this would be good defensive shot for home defense, if wall penetration was to be avoided.

Is this skeet shot? Sorry I don't know anything about this stuff.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 09:43:08 AM »
I recall a young skeet shooter, 11 or 12, dispatching 2 burglars after school one day up in Montana a few years ago.  She shot one from up the stairs, DOA and the other ran away IIRC.  Seems like it helped her with home defense.
He who dares wins.  SAS

JoeG

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 11:12:50 AM »
The hard part is to get the bad guys to hold those orange disks center of mass... :)

I have a shotgun with #6 hunting loads available as option 1.   
“You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world, it’s going to be bad.” Gen. James Mattis

Timothy

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 11:17:19 AM »
Is this skeet shot? Sorry I don't know anything about this stuff.

Skeet is generally shot with a #7-1/2 to #9.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk