Author Topic: Is skeet shooting good for shotgun defensive training?  (Read 13395 times)

tstand

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Is skeet shooting good for shotgun defensive training?
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 11:34:53 AM »
How does recoil of skeet compare with the types mentioned in the youtube video?

Timothy

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 11:47:46 AM »
How does recoil of skeet compare with the types mentioned in the youtube video?

There are too many variables to determine what YOUR felt recoil would be for a particular load.

mkm

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 11:53:06 AM »
My first response when I read this yesterday was "what? I don't think so."  Then I thought about it a little more and continued to read other responses.  I have since changed my initial opinion.  While I don't think skeet shooting is necessarily a good analog for home defense practice, it will help you gain a lot of knowledge operating and shooting your shotgun, especially since you're very new to them.  Skeet shooting should definitely help you improve your hand/eye coordination while teaching you to focus on hitting small moving targets.  Plus, any good trigger time will help.

I think it would also be beneficial to get some silhouette type targets, some shells with different shot sizes, different choke tubes if they are an option with your gun, and "pattern" your gun at ranges you expect to encounter inside your home.  What I mean by that is to place the target at an expected distance, aim center of mass, and shoot.  You'll be able to get an idea how shot size, choke, and distance all affect the spread of the shot.  For example, smaller shot, more open choke, and greater distance typically mean more spread.

As to shot size/type.  There's a lot of discussion and debate on what works best for defense.  It depends on your home construction (layout and materials), proximity to neighbors, and how many people live there, as well as, what you are comfortable with.  If over penetration is a concern and distance to target is minimal, small shot such as used for skeet should work fine.  I personally have my home defense shotgun loaded with #8 shot.  The pellets are small, but, at short apartment distances out of a tight choke, they don't spread much and hit together.  I personally try to minimize spread because I am already using undersized shot (If overpenetration/collateral damage weren't a factor, I would prefer to use buckshot.).  Keep in mind, real life isn't like the movies; your shotgun isn't going to blow a perfect 1ft diameter hole in a wall from 5ft away.  You can miss with a shotgun.  This is where the skeet shooting and learning to hit small targets comes back into play.  We're generally taught to aim center of mass; however, smaller rounds increase the need for better shot placement (i.e. aiming for the head instead of the chest).  Don't get me wrong, shot placement is critical to whatever you're shooting, but a smaller projectile has less room for error.

You brought up steel shot.  I personally would avoid it for personal protection. It's just too light in my opinion.  You're already reducing shot diameter; so, reducing shot weight additionally just isn't good in my opinion.  You have to find a balance of penetrating the bad guy enough while reducing over penetration through the bad guy or a miss.

For the record, I am not nor claim to be an expert.  I am simply adding my opinion and thoughts to discussion.  What is most important is finding a gun, ammo, and system that works for you and practicing with it.

tstand

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 04:39:42 PM »
When I shot skeet I think I was using #8 shot with 3" shells. Would this be a decent load for home defense?

tombogan03884

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 07:49:49 PM »
Your longest shot in Home defense, (barring war, riot or other armed stand off ) will be across the room, probably 5 yards or less.
#8 should be fine for that, if you are using a 12 ga there is no need to go bigger than 2 3/4in shell length.
As has been posted before If you don't live in an apt. or don't have neighbors near by heavier shot, such as buck shot, can be used

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:05:18 PM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 08:39:32 PM »
When I shot skeet I think I was using #8 shot with 3" shells. Would this be a decent load for home defense?

Trap and skeet loads are #8 or #7 1/2 in 2 3/4".  When you are talking about shots within a house or apartment these loads will kill.  Remember that in that ten yard (30') range the spread isn't much more than 6".

Think about it:  1 1/8 ounces of lead coming at you at 1,100 feet per second.  That is 492 grains of lead and a plastic wad (remember that when shooting at corrugated cardboard the wad will punch through on most twenty foot shots) coming at you.  A .45 acp is 235 grain at 850 feet per second. 
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tstand

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 08:49:03 PM »
Well this is very welcomed advice. I know I can easily handle the recoil of the skeet shot, and I bet my wife can, too.

This also makes me think I'll go with the 12 guage over the 20, if we are using skeet.

mkm

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 09:14:04 PM »
Due to it being a little heavier gun, felt recoil in the 12 ga shouldn't be much more, if any, than the 20 ga.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 06:14:05 PM »
The latest greatest is the "Low Recoil" loads available...they make a substantial diff. in felt recoil. Winchester/Federal and I believe Remington all make a lower recoil shot....

Get to the range, set up a man size target at 5-7 yds. "bird" shot makes a hole the size of a baseball at that range, with several pellets in the periphery.

step up to 2 3/4" 00Buck 9 pellet Winchester low recoil loads, and it makes a ragged hole in the target. I can shoot 1 gallon plastic water jugs at my local range, and the effect is much more visual....

Get some range time, get some with your wife also... Than move up to melons....It's very humbling to know what a 12g does at a SD distance.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 08:05:47 PM »
I hope not cause I absolutely suck at skeet!  :'(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk