Author Topic: When It Rains..... It Pours !  (Read 11143 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
Re: When It Rains..... It Pours !
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2017, 08:37:21 AM »
105 with a low sun and low humidity was easy compared to the 95+ and high humidity.

I agree. In Chicago I couldn't stand the hot, HUMID Summers. I would take a shower, go outside, and in 5 minutes it was like you never took one. Not to mention the bugs and Mosquito's eating you alive as soon as the Sun got to the horizon.

Out here I'll take 110 and 5% humidity any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. You don't even break a sweat unless you really exert yourself. In 26 years out here I've yet to get a single Mosquito bite.... And I will NEVER miss snow ever again!

Timothy

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2017, 11:11:42 AM »
I'm with Frank...  it's 55-60 today, perfect!

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1060
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2017, 12:29:35 PM »
I live in a sauna down here in south GA (30 miles north of the Fl line). We've had an abundance of rain over the last two months, and combined with temps in the mid to upper 90's equals humidity above the 90% range...... in other words, it's moist down here in the land of cotton. There's so much moisture in the air that it makes pretty much any physical exertion feel to the body like you're breathing through a drinking straw.
When I was a teen, I could work 12-14 hours out in this crap cropping tobacco, pulling weeds from peanuts, and laying irrigation pipes etc. I worked in a hot industrial complex for years (we had equipment running anywhere from 300 to 1400 degrees year round) but it was drier air inside than out.

Our current A/C unit is twelve years old. The warranty ran out two years ago, but just before it did we had two new fans installed and it runs well (knock on wood).
We put a metal roof on the house five years ago and it helps some in summer, but really cut down on winter heating bills by 50%.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2017, 09:35:25 PM »
Kid sister lives in Phoenix.  I live in Florida.  Been that way for more than 30 years. 

When she first got there (Phoenix) she called me up and said it was near perfect.  "When the kids get out of the pool, they're dry before they reach the house."

Told her it's quite similar here.  When we get out of the shower and dry off, before we can get into our clothes we're wet again.

Same thing, Only different.

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1116
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2017, 01:08:39 PM »
I was miserable the entire time I was stationed at Fort Polk, LA. It seems to me that it was 100% humidity 100% of the time. Right across the border in east Texas wasn't great either but Louisiana seemed even worse. In the winter it was cold and damp when we got up and soon it was hot and muggy. The high humidity made both extremes worse. It rained on a lot of weekends too. We just couldn't get a break.

The weather channel (weather.com) says it's 40% humidity right now with a high of 80 today. It feels good but I wouldn't want to work in the heat all day. Ideally I wouldn't have to use the A/C or furnace but there are rare occasions that I have to use both in the same day. Today isn't one of them. I'll turn the A/C off when I go to bed. It's supposed to be around 60 tonight which means it will be about 70 or slightly higher in the house. I save a lot of wear and tear on my 2 window A/Cs by only using them 1/2 of the time.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 10:14:58 PM »

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2017, 03:26:32 PM »
40% humidity and a high of 80 down here would cause some to have chill bumps. That's November weather now.

I don't buy into global warming..... I do believe in cyclical patterns and shifting trends drawn out over centuries.
For example, forty years ago late September in south Georgia meant you might need a light jacket while waiting on the school bus, but you could ditch it by 10:00 AM and would need it again by 7:00 PM. The same was true for late spring into early May.
We don't have those climates here any more even during cooler years. But I believe that pattern is occurring somewhere else on the planet... and somewhere that, forty years ago, had warmer weather now has cooler weather.
Some time in the future, we will have those patterns again.....if we're still here.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 585
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2017, 04:50:43 PM »
I was miserable the entire time I was stationed at Fort Polk, LA. It seems to me that it was 100% humidity 100% of the time. <snip>

Having grown up between Baton Rouge and New Orleans we always looked at that as "North" Louisiana where it was cooler and drier.  :D  I attended 4H Camp not far from there in the Summer and it did seem to warm up slower and cool off quicker at night.  If you wanted really miserable the Belle Chasse Naval Air Station south of New Orleans was probably it. 

40% humidity and a high of 80 down here would cause some to have chill bumps. That's November weather now.

I don't buy into global warming..... I do believe in cyclical patterns and shifting trends drawn out over centuries.
For example, forty years ago late September in south Georgia meant you might need a light jacket while waiting on the school bus, but you could ditch it by 10:00 AM and would need it again by 7:00 PM. The same was true for late spring into early May.
We don't have those climates here any more even during cooler years. But I believe that pattern is occurring somewhere else on the planet... and somewhere that, forty years ago, had warmer weather now has cooler weather.
Some time in the future, we will have those patterns again.....if we're still here.

I remember those days too.  In October it got downright cool and you had to have a sweater for evenings or nights.  By mid-November we had our first frost.  My 2 cents is that the solar cycle we were in at that time was cooler...the solar luminosity is up from them and that means more solar energy heating us up.  Now the sun is being observed in a cooling cycle and we may see that weather pattern here in the not too distant future before we check out....it would be nice to see that again.  By the mid-90's it was hard to find a cold spell long enough to cold smoke sausage.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2017, 05:21:03 PM »
I remember those days too.  In October it got downright cool and you had to have a sweater for evenings or nights.  By mid-November we had our first frost.  My 2 cents is that the solar cycle we were in at that time was cooler...the solar luminosity is up from them and that means more solar energy heating us up.  Now the sun is being observed in a cooling cycle and we may see that weather pattern here in the not too distant future before we check out....it would be nice to see that again. By the mid-90's it was hard to find a cold spell long enough to cold smoke sausage.

This past "winter" was the warmest I can remember. I don't think it got below freezing a dozen times, and we only had two 'hard freezes' where temps dipped below twenty (and one of those was on the last day of winter). That has made it hard this summer insect-wise. The gnats and skeeters are out in record numbers. It also made it rough on the peach farmers since we didn't have many chill hours. We were borderline on chill hours for our pecan trees as well.

Funny thing is, just a few years back we had the highest number of days in a row below freezing for the last fifty years.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2017, 09:37:12 PM »
Battery went bad in the truck today,  called aaa, they could not jump it(diesel)    naturally, the only had one on the truck, so had too have one of my guys run me too the local shop.... $187 each!   >:(

When one goes bad you have too replace both.

Yesterday, found out not one but 2 check I took last week Bounced, 26k in total.  Made me with draw money from my savings too meet payroll.  Well that or tap credit... been a great week so far and its only tuesday. 
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2017, 09:41:49 PM »
Western Oregon, Oregon in general actually, may have it's political issues but climate is one of the things that keeps a lot of us here, rarely get snow and a days below freezing a year and summers stay in the low 90's with evening in the low 60's-USUALLY.  Given the laws that passed I am thankful I moved out of the Portland Metro area about a dozen years ago and quit working up there a few months back but the pathouli  ooze is creeping...  Idaho or Montana are on the list for relocation.
He who dares wins.  SAS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk