Author Topic: For your freinds that think it can't happen here....  (Read 7714 times)

enidpd804

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: For your freinds that think it can't happen here....
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 11:45:17 PM »
I won't pretend to know all about NOPD but I do know some of their history and so do most of you.  Don't lump all cops in with those guys.  Pidgeon-holing should be left to the ignorant. 

That aside, I feel generally the same.  I don't like being randomly felt up at the airport without cause and I sure as hell didn't like it when it happened to my wife and nearly to my eight year old daughter (until the TSA supervisor intervened).

Governments always overreact and kneejerk during catastrophe.  We had an ice storm in my middle sized town which knocked out electricity to the entire city for several days. The mayor declared a state of emergency and a 10 p.m. curfew, which is allowed under OK law.  We were empowered to arrest anyone out after that time.  Did we?  Of course not.  Out of dozens of people in violation of the curfew, none were arrested or even cited.  Some of you may have knowledge of the police from all over the country.  My experience may not be so vast.  In my limited experience, officers from my area are not the exception...we are the norm.     
Warren

enidpd804

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 12:00:19 AM »
As to the "hardened and militarized" statement, I'm not sure where to begin.  :) I'm guessing the thought is that there is some nation-wide conspiracy among LEO agencies to build up weapons and goose step our way down Main St. USA to collectively trample the rights of the citizens.  When I joined the police department, the feds came in and planted a chip in my brain changing everything I believe in.  ::) Come on!  I didn't even get a ride in the black helicoper.    :D

Also, policemen are actually getting "older" and training and education among LEO's is increasing.   ;)

Please, don't take my posts as insulting but rather tongue-in-cheek, as that is my intention. 

I don't know where you guys are from or what your experiences are, but where I come from, cops are people, too.   
Warren

gemurdock

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 07:48:00 AM »

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 07:41:39 AM »
Also, policemen are actually getting "older" and training and education among LEO's is increasing.   ;)

I don't know where you guys are from or what your experiences are, but where I come from, cops are people, too.   
Even being a civilian but former firefighter, I have to agree with this. I've known well several generations of LEO in my little part of the world and for the most part they just keep getting better. They're better trained in a much wider range of information, they're better educated and more well-rounded. I think if push came to shove the cops would be lined up shoulder to shoulder with us on the side of the Second Amendment.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 08:33:00 AM »
Jaybeth,

The point is the LEOs were not on the side of the people in N.O.!  They "followed orders" and stole the guns.

Maybe the locals in smaller towns would stand with us but I am afraid that in the larger departments we would have little if any support.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:34:48 AM »

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 01:01:33 PM »
Jaybeth,

The point is the LEOs were not on the side of the people in N.O.!  They "followed orders" and stole the guns.

Maybe the locals in smaller towns would stand with us but I am afraid that in the larger departments we would have little if any support.

That's a point that is difficult to ignore and I agree- larger departments might be a problem. However, you have to also consider the N.O.P.D. in general....I've never heard any positive comments made about that department. I know that's a broad brush to be slapping against a group, but I REALLY have never heard any news, read any written commentary, nothing at all that indicates that there's not a whole lot of trouble in that department all the time.
I sortof wonder how many guns got turned in as opposed to some guys collections getting a lot bigger.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 01:42:31 PM »
Jaybeth,

If you go here http://guntalk.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=279348 and listen to the download the guest says MANY guns were never turned in by the cops, only the junk ones.

Also NOPD is corrupt but they wre not alone.  They had help from other states as well.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 02:52:29 PM »
That video is disturbing. I hope everyone learns from Katrina. I hope and wish that everyone will look at world history and facts to better understand what is happening. I know many cops that would never follow through with something like that. But, the sad fact is some would. But, if you follow the law and are armed legally, then why should someone come and take away your gun? Especially, if you are a good guy/gal and only protecting yourself and/or your family. You know, if that lady for example would have just gave up her gun peacefully and been left all alone with no gun, then what? Who would be there to protect her when the group of bad guys come down the street to harm her and to take her food? The police? The government? Where where they or would they be if everyone was unarmed and at the mercy of mere criminals? I mean to me it is just silly. Many places around this country if you call the police to come, there is a good chance you would be dead before they can even get there. Same thing applies to the government. Individual people are their own best protection. And for many of those a gun is their prefered method of defense. And if you are a legal law-abbiding citizen... you know one of the "good guys", then why should anybody ever try to dissarm you? Hitler, Stalin, Hussan and many other of the world's worst leaders in history performed the same tatics and took up/confiscated guns from the good citizens in their beguiling forms of gun control. PLEASE WAKE UP AMERICA! And the rest of the world for that matter. Look at the other countries in last fifteen years or so that did gun confiscations and bans. Then look at how crime skyrocketed. All too many people think that is can't and won't really happen. Unless, the good people stand up for what is truely right, it will happen. This country was founded on FREEDOMS and LIBERTIES. What has happened?       

pioneer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 06:36:26 PM »
If this were to happen again, what can you do? When you have LE on the doorstep armed and demanding your firearms what do you do?

A friend of mine who has been active in the cause for many years suggests we all have a "throw away" gun, or perhaps in this case a "surrender gun."  If you don't already have one, get yourself an old Papa-Oscar-Sierra from a pawn shop, or at the discount table at a gun show.  It doesn't even have to work.  When Ray Nagan's Storm Troopers show up at your door, surrender your gun.  If in the unlikely event they have a stack of 4473 forms, try something like; "Gee officer, I sold those years ago, all except my favorite antique gun here.  Do you really have to take it?" 

I think I could convince them I am really upset about giving up my only gun, a family heirloom and by-the-way, "I want a receipt."

I have such a gun, a 1908 Iver Johnson, 8 shot .22 revolver.  It was a gift about 35 or so years ago, and it still shoots well.  If I had to sacrifice one of my guns, this would be the one.

Life Member NRA / SAF Member
Naval Aviation 1965-1969
Retired Police Detective '71-'01
HR-218 Certified

United States Constitution (c) 1791
         All Rights Reserved.

gunman1911

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger Emeritus
  • Liked:
Re: For your friends that think it can't happen here....
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2007, 05:04:02 PM »
As a Ex LEOI know that I've had  lot of discussions with military people about their and ours oaths. Defend our country against foreign and DOMESTIC invaded, Our is to defend the constitution,
but it look like thing went really bad in NO when we bean bag people in jail and arrest the elderly for having the means to defend themselves in the worst of times and suspend the rights of others at will.  It makes me worry what will happen when times get bad anywhere.Those officers shouls be prosicuted for thier actions. >:(
Back up guns---Better to have and not need than to need and not have!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk