Author Topic: American Marksman Contest  (Read 6860 times)

tombogan03884

Re: American Marksman Contest
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 05:50:35 AM »
I had similar prblems with my Buckmark.
Best shooting pistol I ever shot, BUT, Ihad to clean the breach face every 100 rounds.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 01:33:42 PM »
<snip>
BIG PROBLEM:  My Buckmark won't run 50 rounds with out a hangup.   Several in fact.  A couple of failure to feeds and several times it stopped short of going all the way into battery.   Does not seem to be magazine dependent.    I had given it a general bushing out and oiling.  I am using CCI Standards because of the relative low recoil and noise.
<snip>

Make certain you don't overtighten the screw on the top strap when you clean it.  That adds to the friction on the slide.......maybe clean that too if you haven't recently.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 12:01:31 PM »
The only feeding issues I've ever had with my Buckmarks were with Remington Yellow Jackets and Winchester Wildcats (the Win's really dirtied up my guns, which is why I haven't bought any in 20 yrs).

Federal bulk plated do well, but CCI Stingers and Mini-Mags...along with Aguilla high velocity are tops.

Back when I shot my 22's more, I just kept a can of spray cleaner, a tooth brush, and spray lube handy if I was shooting cheaper ammo like the Winchesters. If I noticed the slide feeling like it was dragging a bit, I did a quick 'spray-scrub-lube' and was good to go again for another couple-hundred rounds.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 12:11:16 PM »
Take a look at Peg's list:
Quality high power is what is most reliable in the function of semi-automatic rimfires.  They will still gunk things up, but consistent sizing and power are important, as well as the more power the the quicker and smoother the action moves.  Sadly, more power does not always equate to most accurate.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 07:46:57 PM »
Went to the range and shot today.  (Sharpshooters USA in Alpharetta, GA).   I was the first one they had put through the COF.  The RO and I made sure we both understood the COF, then we tested out his timer.    So I actually got a run through the first string before we put up a target for score.

GREAT NEWS:  I scrubbed and scoured my Buckmark with a brass brush and Hoppes #9 Sunday.   It performed flawlessly.   I fired 15 rounds to make sure the timer worked, then shot 50 rounds for score.  Nary a malfunction.   Of course the 10/22 worked well, without cleaning.

And my scores are posted.  Not top notch, but okay...  for an amateur.  Look under SE region.   I could do better, but I doubt I'll invest the time or ammo to improve and do a re-shoot.   I've got to work on my ICORE skills for the first ever GA match in 2 weeks.

Raw Time    Penalties   Final Score
Pistol   16.00            +18          34.00
Rifle     13.15            +16          29.15

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 01:06:52 PM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 08:06:10 PM »
I guess I must have continued this train of thought elsewhere.

To recap, I could have gone to AM regionals, but decided that under the rules I was not an "amateur" and I dropped out.  Given some of the scores that were posted, I'm not sure I would have advanced any further anyway. 

If you're following Michael Bane on FaceBook you know that the finals are this weekend in Talledaga at the CMP range.  (Nice place.)   Also the winter ice fest 2017 just happened to fall this weekend as well in the south.

Not only having to work in cold and ice, but compressing the shooting into a shorter day has evidently been a challenge this week for Michael and crew as well as the shooters.

I am so happy I'm not out there in the cold.   My week of USAF arctic training at 26 below gave me a permanent hatred of being cold.  I feel so smug this weekend sitting by the fire, Bourbon in hand, fuzzy slippers on my feet.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Timothy

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 08:11:26 PM »
Smug wit ya, Alf!!

My slippers are leather w/shearling tho..

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2017, 08:20:31 PM »
My closest claim to fame in American Marksman is that I was in the squad just behind our region's winner.  I got to follow that group around for two days.  Our regional winner is an employee at a range, and so were the rest of their squad.  You could tell they had access to all the fun and games they wished.

I may or may not share my final outcome, but I will tell you the importance of practice.  I did not practice prior to qualifications, and was right in the middle of the pack.  Due to more changes I did not touch the guns between qualifications and regionals.  I almost didn't go, but my bride and daughter forced me to.  No one can guarantee anything they did not accomplish, but I was so close to really shining, I believe just a little dry fire or a few practice days would have fixed the little bumps that cost me.

Alf,
I understand your reasons for not moving on, and with one of yours I probably would have stayed home as well.  But, I reaffirmed by pledge of several years ago to go to any match, any time, whenever I get the chance.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk