Author Topic: WHEEL GUN  (Read 19063 times)

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
WHEEL GUN
« on: July 17, 2008, 03:22:09 PM »
 Is there a better revolver than the .44 mag for carry in the field with a 4 in. barrell . Loaded with factory loads. And what platform would you choose?
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: WHEEL GUN
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 04:43:02 PM »
I think the .44 pretty much does it.  I'd go Ruger.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 04:53:15 PM »
Depends...the best woods carry revolver I own is an S&W .44 Special Mountain Gun, which of course S&W never actually made...the gun's a custom from Hamilton Bowen, who built it out of a .357 L-Frame 686, a .357 Mountain Gun skinny barrel rebored to .44 Special, a 696 5-shot .44 Special cylinder and a handful of other parts.

You can do almost as well as a .44 Magnum Mountain Gun if you can find one. It's lighter than the Ruger 4-inch .44 Magnum, but the advantage of the Ruger is that it's a tank. If you want to shoot dinosaur thumper .44 Magnum loads, take the Ruger. If you're going to shoot mostly Specials, take the Smith.

Recently, my Sweetie co-opted the Bowen gun, and I've been carrying a 3-inch 629 .44 Magnum overhauled by Jim Stroh at Alpha Precision in a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake holster. I load the gun with a cylinder-full of Corbon .44 Special DPX, backed with a speedloader of Buffalo Bore 255-grain Keith load thumpers in case I run into a velociraptor...not real pleasant to shoot, but hey...I think I'm going to get the 3-inch Magnaported, too...

If you're a single action fan, get a Ruger 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum Blackhawk and have Hamilton lop the six-inch barrel down to 4 5/8-inches.

In truth, if I'm hiking and traveling light, I'll go with my Charter Bulldog .44 Special that Magnaport redid for me or a box-stock ancient S&W 296 titanium .44 Special.

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 06:31:00 PM »
I have a 3 inch 629 that is Magnaported. It's a little stout with full loads, since it seems to kick more straight back. I'll have to replace the Hogues that it came with with something that covers the backstrap.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 07:44:20 PM »
I personally like the a good 357 vs a 44 mag, My chances of running into a black bear are very limited.  So I really don't need the extra punch of 44 mag.

Now I have been stocked by cougars more then once... funny never saw one until they closed down the hunting of them.

Current carry is a 627 v comp.  Something about  having 8 shots I just like....   its right at about 3 lbs empty.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:17:39 AM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 08:31:04 PM »
I've got a couple of friends that hunt cougar with predator calls.  Most of the time when they do call them in they don't see them....it's afterwards when they find the tracks 50-75 feet from them they know the cat came in. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

CJS3

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 08:36:17 PM »
I've taken deer at close range with single shots from a .357 and a 45 colt.  I prefer the .357 for field carry.
Children, pets, and slaves are taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 09:07:15 PM »
 Is there a better revolver than the .44 mag for carry in the field with a 4 in. barrell . Loaded with factory loads. And what platform would you choose?

If the recoil of a .44 mag isn't a issue,. the S&W 460 V shoots 3 different rounds without changing a thing. .45LC, 454 casull. and the 460 S&W mag. I think if the "big" one is what you want in the field this is a viable option.

Or the S&W 500 comes in 4" 8),... You know when you want to disable anything,... including dump trucks,...

Heres a quick peek at a nice one,...

http://www.valorcorp.com/products/product.asp?root_id=14&cat_id=226&item=3099945
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Gossamer

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 10:51:18 PM »
When I go camping with the family or hiking I bring my two SASS handguns. A Remington 1875 clone with a 7 1/2" barrel and a Colt SSA clone with a 5 1/2" barrel, both are chambered in .45LC. With Silvertips I don't think I am giving up much to a .357 mag and in all honesty even though I used to own a .44mag (Colt Anaconda) I never could master fast follow up shots. I am comfortable with both and more importantly compent.

Where I live wild dogs, coyotes and people are about the only threats when you are outside. I would say use what you feel comfortable with. Is a .44Mag better than a .38 special for outdoor work, yes. But if you are like me a .38 you can hit with and are familar with is better than the best johhny cool guy gun out there.

Just my two cents.

Edmond

• Active Forum Member
    • Caracal pistol
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 03:27:36 AM »
10mm rules !  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk